View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Social Media Turns People Into Raging Assholes Reply with quote

Two men beaten and burned alive with gasoline, while being filmed to social media on a sea of cell phones, by a mindless mob of ignorant socalial-media-using Mexican peasants after false accusations about them went viral on social media. Facebook, what's app, you are the Devil!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46145986

His mother watched him burned alive on Facebook as it happened.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guardians of Truthiness have decided!

These were not the fake rumors you were looking for.
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think we need jurisprudence and the presumption of innocence, then you are racist against Mexicans.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a normal day in CIA-destabilised Latin America. What did people think those refugees to the US were running from, exactly?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear-mongering fake news on social media about foreigners whips people into a frenzy, causes them to make bad choices?

Thank god that only happens in third world countries.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Sounds like a normal day in CIA-destabilised Latin America. What did people think those refugees to the US were running from, exactly?
Yeah, all those people from Panama, Belize, Costa Rica are just flocking to the US.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if social media did not exist, I would have to invent them.

Too bad I am currently not in position to use all the sweet evidence of brain dead humans being able to move around and to hold a smartphone, to erradicate them all.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social media being a website or other Internet service allowing a large group of people to socialize in the cyber-space.
OTW loosely fits this description.
OTW makes people into raging assholes.

Checks out. It all makes sense now.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Fear-mongering fake news on social media about foreigners whips people into a frenzy, causes them to make bad choices?

lol yeah! Zomg teh Russian trolls are interfearing!!!
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:

Yea, the Russians are definitely the only ones posting fake crap on the internet.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:

Yea, the Russians are definitely the only ones posting fake crap on the internet.

You mean like when CNN tried to lie and vehemently and repeatedly said Acosta "never put his hands on" ("never touched her") that White House intern who reached for the microphone -- even claiming the White House was "lying" -- until they found out there was video clearly showing he did -- and then they claimed, in true Orwellian fashion, that it had been doctored (showing as proof two identical videos nobody could tell the difference between, both of which still CLEARLY showed that he had indeed put his hands on her? That kind of fake crap?

Or the now-known-to-be-false allegations of sexually aggressive behavior by Justice Kavanaugh, which all your favorite sources of fact loudly trumpeted as credible, and which you and your entire echo chamber bought into hook, line and sinker (despite having been completely wrong about the 2016 election and having still not learned to question things and think rationally for yourself). That kind of fake crap?
https://www.gq.com/story/brett-kavanaugh-life-ruined

If this story about a mob unjustifiably burning people alive because of mindless propaganda has an analog in recent US history, it's is EXACTLY the idiots of the American left being led like the moronic children of Hameline by the evil Pied Piper of the Democrats to fucking crucify Kavanaugh without any basis in reality whatsoever, and then being led by the same evil Pied Piper to turn a blind eye to the indisputable facts staring them in the face about total asshole dickhead Acosta.

How can you even discuss this in public without kowtowing in shame?

And yet, when the topic of fake crap on the internet comes up, what's the first thing jumps into your mind? Certainly not the above. Does it never even occur to you to ask yourself why?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:

You mean like when CNN tried to lie and vehemently and repeatedly said Acosta "never put his hands on" ("never touched her") that White House intern who reached for the microphone -- even claiming the White House was "lying" -- until they found out there was video clearly showing he did -- and then they claimed, in true Orwellian fashion, that it had been doctored (showing as proof two identical videos nobody could tell the difference between, both of which still CLEARLY showed that he had indeed put his hands on her? That kind of fake crap?

I love how the first item you go to with regards to fake stories is the Acosta reality TV drama. You do realize that the master of reality TV is just doing his usual shtick, right? Designating some characters as the bad guys, getting you all riled up over them, then kicking them off, making you feel good? It's so unbelieveably transparent that I can't believe an intelligent person like you falls for it. Do you also talk about what Sophia said to Cecilia on Real Houswives of Malibu? It's the same crap. Except one is concocted to sell you ads, and one is concocted to sell you a president.

Quote:
Or the now-known-to-be-false allegations of sexually aggressive behavior by Justice Kavanaugh, which all your favorite sources of fact loudly trumpeted as credible, and which you and your entire echo chamber bought into hook, line and sinker (despite having been completely wrong about the 2016 election and having still not learned to question things and think rationally for yourself). That kind of fake crap?

Next time you want to make a dramatic point, spend less time bolding random words, and try actually reading the article you cite.

Since Kavanaugh's hearing, there has been no further information with regards to the credibility of the witness that testified against him.

Quote:
And yet, when the topic of fake crap on the internet comes up, what's the first thing jumps into your mind? Certainly not the above. Does it never even occur to you to ask yourself why?

I don't think that either political party has a monopoly on idiots. Luckily for both parties, there is a very stable supply.

OMG, was that Omarosa? What did she just say?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I don't think that either political party has a monopoly on idiots. Luckily for both parties, there is a very stable supply.
Which is why the behavior of the news media is more of a concern. It is theoretically very easy for them to gain the upper hand and credibility at the same time. Except they aren't capable of it. Go back to reporting the news. Acknowledge that what Acosta did was wrong, Reprimand him for it, and threaten a fine or unpaid suspension if it happened again. They can then address that while it was inappropriate, there was no attempt at harm, that CNN has standards which expects more professionalism. There's plenty for them to be honestly critical about. But that doesn't promote their agenda and need for "look at me" relevancy. They ARE the new Real Housewives and Reno 911 of news.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Which is why the behavior of the news media is more of a concern. It is theoretically very easy for them to gain the upper hand and credibility at the same time. Except they aren't capable of it. Go back to reporting the news. Acknowledge that what Acosta did was wrong, Reprimand him for it, and threaten a fine or unpaid suspension if it happened again. They can then address that while it was inappropriate, there was no attempt at harm, that CNN has standards which expects more professionalism. There's plenty for them to be honestly critical about. But that doesn't promote their agenda and need for "look at me" relevancy. They ARE the new Real Housewives and Reno 911 of news.

++

The bias of the media is the biggest problem facing our country... aside from public school brainwashing and pop-culture celebrating degeneracy and stupidity while simultaneously mandating a very one-sided "Thou shall not judge" pseudo morality.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

I think this completely misses the point. If you want factual reporting, it is easy to find. Finding it definitely doesn't involve getting your news from CNN though. The reason CNN provides reality-TV style news is because that is what most people want. Blaming the media for giving people what they want makes no more sense than blaming video game companies for selling violent video games. If CNN suddenly decided that they were going to do what was best for the country, and provided emotion free factual information, people would just tune into another station that gave them what they want, and you would still be complaining about "the media", with a different company as the posterboy.

Is the problem the company that caters to the idiots, or is the problem the idiots?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Is the problem the company that caters to the idiots, or is the problem the idiots?

Lefties (aka Idiots)
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
If you want factual reporting, it is easy to find. Finding it definitely doesn't involve getting your news from CNN though. The reason CNN provides reality-TV style news is because that is what most people want. Blaming the media for giving people what they want makes no more sense than blaming video game companies for selling violent video games. If CNN suddenly decided that they were going to do what was best for the country, and provided emotion free factual information, people would just tune into another station that gave them what they want, and you would still be complaining about "the media", with a different company as the posterboy.

I have to disagree with your premise that CNN is providing the product the public seeks. If that were true, CNN would have good ratings. As it stands, the ratings suck.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
richk449 wrote:

Lefties (aka Idiots)

Yes, yes, people who don't agree with your political views are idiots. It is a very sophisticated argument you present.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Muso wrote:
richk449 wrote:

Lefties (aka Idiots)

Yes, yes, people who don't agree with your political views are idiots. It is a very sophisticated argument you present.

No, most conservatives disagree with my views, but I do not think they are idiots. I, specifically, think that leftists are idiots.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
If you want factual reporting, it is easy to find. Finding it definitely doesn't involve getting your news from CNN though. The reason CNN provides reality-TV style news is because that is what most people want. Blaming the media for giving people what they want makes no more sense than blaming video game companies for selling violent video games. If CNN suddenly decided that they were going to do what was best for the country, and provided emotion free factual information, people would just tune into another station that gave them what they want, and you would still be complaining about "the media", with a different company as the posterboy.

I have to disagree with your premise that CNN is providing the product the public seeks. If that were true, CNN would have good ratings. As it stands, the ratings suck.

CNN is certainly not the only network catering to idiots. In fact, there is a healthy competition to show ads to idiots.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:

CNN is certainly not the only network catering to idiots. In fact, there is a healthy competition to show ads to idiots.

++

Truth. Remember when A&E was "Arts and Entertainment"? When the History Channel was actual history and not a pair of betas digging through trash? When Bravo was actually an arts appreciation channel and not "FABULOUS!~"?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Ted Turner is pretty politically left. Maybe by today's standards he's a Nazi. But in a recent interview, he commented on the change in CNN. While John Stewart was still hosting his own show, he went on CNN (I think) and lambasted their "journalism." They didn't really get it. He pointed out that he, John Stewart, should not have a higher quality of reporting (which _really_ says something about the mainstream media). The idiots are a symptom. If new wave journalism and education are going to lead the race to the bottom by training more and better idiots, then maybe the definition of "press' needs to be reevaluated. After all, meaning is trivial and flexible.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
richk449 wrote:

I love how the first item you go to with regards to fake stories is the Acosta reality TV drama. You do realize that the master of reality TV is just doing his usual shtick, right? Designating some characters as the bad guys, getting you all riled up over them, then kicking them off, making you feel good? It's so unbelieveably transparent that I can't believe an intelligent person like you falls for it. Do you also talk about what Sophia said to Cecilia on Real Houswives of Malibu? It's the same crap. Except one is concocted to sell you ads, and one is concocted to sell you a president.

Quote:

Next time you want to make a dramatic point, spend less time bolding random words, and try actually reading the article you cite.

Since Kavanaugh's hearing, there has been no further information with regards to the credibility of the witness that testified against him.

You just flapped your lips for a long time without saying anything. For example, I didn't hear you deny that CNN actually tried, and tried hard (at first) to lie that Acosta never touched that intern. In fact, they accused the White House lying when they said he did, and the entire liberal echo chamber pumped out the headlines "White House Lies", even after the video proving it to be true came out. Also, not a fucking peep from the dozens of other lefty reporters who were standing right there and saw the motherfucker do it. Not a fucking peep! That's not "reality TV"; that's the best of the best journalists from the left who are covering national politics. The cream of the intellectual shit-pot that is public liberal thought leadership. And you guzzle their kool-aid like an alcoholic priest with the altar wine.

Moreover, you egregiously butchered the spelling of "unbelieveably". That, along with knee-jerk mouth-spasms about bold usage made your post look like hasty, desperate, and haphazard gesture of sputtering and flailing half-heartedly.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
For example, I didn't hear you deny that CNN actually tried, and tried hard (at first) to lie that Acosta never touched that intern. In fact, they accused the White House lying when they said he did, and the entire liberal echo chamber pumped out the headlines "White House Lies", even after the video proving it to be true came out. Also, not a fucking peep from the dozens of other lefty reporters who were standing right there and saw the motherfucker do it. Not a fucking peep! That's not "reality TV"; that's the best of the best journalists from the left who are covering national politics. The cream of the intellectual shit-pot that is public liberal thought leadership. And you guzzle their kool-aid like an alcoholic priest with the altar wine.

Sorry, I was quite serious when I said I wasn't interested in your TV show. You seem really desperate to talk about it - maybe you can find an online group that is into it to discuss the latest plot twist. Or maybe write some fanfic, so you can use share your creativity with others who are interested.

If you really are still confused about the difference between reality and made-for-TV-drama, just ask yourself why Trump and Sanders kept calling on Acosta?

Quote:
Moreover, you egregiously butchered the spelling of "unbelieveably". That, along with knee-jerk mouth-spasms about bold usage made your post look like hasty, desperate, and haphazard gesture of sputtering and flailing half-heartedly.

I'm embarrassed about unbelievably (although frankly I think my spelling is just as good as the official one), but as for making a post look hasty and desperate, it is hard to beat linking to an article that makes the exact opposite point you are making, because you only read the sarcastic headline.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reject your conspiracy theory that Acosta and his harassment antics are some kind of creation of the Trump administration. As you well know, these kind of harassing, maniacal verbal assaults have become a mainstream tactic of "the resistance", and the style of antisocial ass-hattery demonstrated by Acosta is not only fashionable in your mindless lefty echo chamber but increasingly de rigeur among the so called "journalists" who still can't come to terms with the fact that they had their heads completely up their asses about the 2016 election, misled the entire lefty echo chamber, and set the progressive movement back 20 years in time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: