View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change from XP to Win8.1 (didn't test anything else) else the game was keep saying "a new version of wow is there, use battle.net to update" while it was update.
I also have the two crash popup info when loading battle.net (but it seems to not care)
And i think battle.net is real slow to update its content, but i don't care about its content so it's all good :)
Also notice 32bits is gone, but could be it only install 64bits on 64bits wine maybe, the launcher is still 32bits itself (so if 32bits wow is gone, that's a dirty mix of 32 and 64 bits exe)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, welcome to the Battle for Azeroth 8.0 proper opening night.
Looks like a whole mess of minipatches being released. Once again it's get it right eventually, not get it right the first time.
Game appears to be running with the usual battle.net client problems with its "internal" web browser...
mega_flow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r
Use "Battle.net.exe" instead of "Battle.net Launcher.exe"
battle.net work better this way, or start Wow without the launcher

I do get a black screen when starting Wow with the launcher. But i suspects dxvk for causing this
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle.net.exe and the launcher both have the same problem: neither appear to load the HTML patch notes. They both will let you press the [PLAY] button and launch the game fine.

Launcher has another problem: AFAICT system survey crashes but as it's its own thread, just that thread dies.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a new patch came out today, and I'm completely hosed. The battle.net launcher is completely broken... any one seen any fixes?

Debug notes:

I noticed that World of Warcraft Launcher created a directory "ld of Warcraft" in the WoW directory...WEIRD, missing the "Wor" ... so I suspect either Wine or something is chopping off the first few characters of that directory name or something...
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot reproduce this. Launched battlenet.exe, killed agent.exe to stop the waiting for other tasks thing and it then proceed with update, then I logged in. Everything worked as intended.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sometimes use that: download world of warcraft installer (not battle.net one), it's a tiny file that when launch, update and install the battle.net, then run battle.net in a "update mode" to finish the installation.
i notice (grep exe) that the battle.net love to run multi times (in fact, each time you close the error message), and agent.exe gets bork by this, try kill agent.exe, it will run another one that work.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.. when I run World of Warcraft Launcher.exe, it starts up with a progress bar as it downloads an update then after some progress, opens an error box that offers a link to battle.net that suggests restarting, rebooting, or administrator privileges - not useful at all.

WoW has gotten big enough that I really do not want to download from scratch, it's huge compared to my slow internet speed... hopefully repair mode works. Likely it's just battle.net that's broken and not any of the game data.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will update your wow ; meaning download 0 except what is new (so just like any update). i think the only difference is that it somehow download some reference file that is ~20-30m only.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think battle.net is my problem now... was able to update in win7 but even that had problems until I got a fresh battle.net installed.

BTW how big are peoples' installs now? Due to the weird format they're using for the data files now, any one persons install can be different than another person's but still be functionally equivalent... Like my latest data directory is 63.4 GB right now...
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is 58.9 GB. 1 or 2 months ago, I reinstalled from scratch because I accidently had deleted .wine folder :roll: , so it's quite a recent install, and it works really well. The only issue I had is to replace the cache as indicated here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765466460?page=3
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17620282020?page=2#post-25

And when trying to upgrade and battlenet is waiting forever for another task to complete, I just have to kill agent.exe and then the updates are successfull.

With my new box (ryzen5, Radeon RX580) and dxvk enabled, it runs really really well :) What a difference to my good old Core2Duo with an radeon R7 250 cape verde gpu.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, now I'm just ~ 8% bloated! :(

I had been 20% bloat in the past. Alas I still need to figure out why battle.net does not want to run -- still crashes.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole install is 55G, and I keep it symlinked into the wine prefixes I'm currently using for whatever versions of wine and dxvk that are installed.
I generally update my install script to the latest dxvk release version after getting a wine-staging upgrade, then it installs everything in a new prefix tied to that version of wine, so if something breaks I can just eselect back to the old version of wine and everything is still "as it was". Right now I think this is the most stable it's been since we stopped downloading patches manually, everything (apart from dxvk) is native wine, with only
Code:
winetricks win10 nocrashdialog fontsmooth=rgb sound=pulse
being run on a virgin bottle before the bnet install.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like baremetal Windows, the wine prefix gets cluttered...do most of you just start a new prefix once in a while, the equivalent of "reinstall Windows"?

I have a lot of winegecko cruft over the years...

Perhaps this is offtopic and I should post this on another forum... though currently trying to "reinstall windows" to a fresh WINEPREFIX -- an idea completely lost after the years of Gentoo where you never need to reinstall...

--- EDIT ---

Thanks Ralphred, after a fresh wineprefix and reinstall of battle.net by itself, and moving the old WoW installation folder to the new prefix, everything seems to work. Hooray! cleaned up 2GB of cruft!

But battle.net fonts are really fscked up... coming back to the main point:
Code:
winetricks fontsmooth=rgb

fixed the fonts and all seems to be happy and working once more.

I guess wineprefixes do need reinstalls like Windows :(
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more of a "backup" for me, I keep my old versions of dxvk symlinked into whatever prefix they were originally installed for, and when wine gets updated it never runs "updating the prefix at xxx" and possibly breaks an old but working install. If your bnet fonts are messed up I think it's x11-apps/xlsfonts.

Most bottles are around 1 gig, and I don't use a lot of windows things, so generally have an up to date "general" prefix for testing stuff, and once it works install whatever app it is in it's own prefix and add a ~/bin/app-wrapper.sh to run it against the right bottle, that way a dodgy new staging build doesn't break the twitch app for example (which falls over in a light breeze!).
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not personally a Battle.net user... But as someone interested in all things Wine - especially when they are distribution-specific...

Anyway I've had confirmations on IRC (#gentoo-wine) that current Gentoo wine-staging builds (it appears to affect all versions) are failing to launch the Battle.net Launcher. :cry:
The actual Gentoo wine-staging package technically isn't exactly broken, but a build or runtime dependency is!

It appears to be something broke around the 12th October. As a Gentoo user on IRC has a working system snapshot from back then... :?

Here is a recent terminal log I have for wine-staging:3.19.

On my (multiboot) laptop I've observed that both Arch and Ubuntu wine-staging builds are able to successfully run the Battle.net Launcher.
This testing was done using a shared, 64-bit WINEPREFIX.

I can't really file a Gentoo bug (or a WineHQ bug) for this at present. Because the system component, causing the problem, is difficult to isolate.

If anyone has great insights - I'm open to ideas! 8)
Also it'd be useful to get some further confirmations of the issue (so far: just 3 random Gentoo Wine users).
Especially if you have similar dwrite mapping and msvcrt.dll.so load errors.

Thanks!! 8)
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I had to qualify that when "everything is working happy once more" with "with the apparently not so important thread crashes the "winetricks nocrashdialog" probably hides (I'd rather wine keep telling me there's something wrong but keep going when it can.)

So it's not perfect... alas it appears to patch WoW as needed. (Wine-staging-3.11)
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I use nocrashdialog is to silence output about some customer survey bot that comes with the BNet app, that's the one that crashes all the time and spams you with dialog boxes to tell you so. If I was a wine dev, neutering this piece of software would be by design, though I know it just doesn't port well really.

The whole fondling of wine to make the bnet app work is more about "don't make me boot windows to update, please" than "OMG make wow run".

Same is true of Overwatch, bnet can be completely screwed but an up to date Overwatch will work fine, but it doesn't cache authenticator logins so is a chore to launch manually.
BobWya wrote:
Anyway I've had confirmations on IRC (#gentoo-wine) that current Gentoo wine-staging builds (it appears to affect all versions) are failing to launch the Battle.net Launcher. :cry:

That's not really much to go on, all I can say is, since wine-staging was in 3.x where x was in single digits I have never failed to install (with Battle.net-Setup.exe) or run the BNet launcher app.
If you are that interested you can install the app from here it doesn't require an account, though you can create one without obligation to see how the app runs beyond the initial install.
maolang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:
I can't really file a Gentoo bug (or a WineHQ bug) for this at present. Because the system component, causing the problem, is difficult to isolate.

Downgrading to fontconfig 2.12.6, fixed everything, seems a lot of other apps are having issues with 2.13

Seems the devs for fontconfig are also denying that on other cases of issues, that the bug are theirs, funny enough downgrading their package and those same apps work just fine....
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maolang wrote:
Seems the devs for fontconfig are also denying that on other cases of issues, that the bug are theirs, funny enough downgrading their package and those same apps work just fine....
In the general case, that is quite reasonable. Would you consider a glibc bug if old versions of glibc silently permitted heap corruption caused by buggy non-glibc code, but new versions react badly to that corruption? Downgrading would get you away from the bad reaction, but so would fixing the corruption. In the case of fontconfig, if they have a bad ABI that makes it easy for client programs to do the wrong thing, there could be many programs which are wrong and were silently tolerated by the older, more permissive, fontconfig version.
selebrity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard says that they will port all games on mobile devices Android and IOS, so I'm waiting for new mobile WOW, hope it will be much better than Diablo Immortal :lol:
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having issues with the new staging update?

All areas of focus are black
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using an older wine-staging release (3.15).

Looks like 8.1 patch is out, launcher/battle.net client was able to download it. For some reason Wow.exe is in the _retail_ subdirectory now. I'm not sure why they decided to move things around.

Servers are still down, so no testing has been done other than for launcher/battle.net downloading.

$WOWROOT is now 80GB... sheesh.

[ EDIT ]
Looks like a recent CASC garbage collection dropped $WOWROOT to ~ 72GB...
Still insane...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New patch came out...any success or failure reports?

Well, looks like it's dead in the water for me right now... any success stories yet?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on break myself, are you saying i took the right time for it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: