Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpoole wrote:
I continued until nothing more [...]

Simple Scan is the only actual package there as the rest are just meta packages.

So it looks like you do have GNOME installed and should be able to use GDM/startx.

Just don't depclean anything until that emerge command cleanly completes (which will be after I get a GNOME 3.24 test install spun up and correct the build failures you reported).

jlpoole wrote:
I'll await further suggestion or perhaps trying the version you are currently working on.

The latest version definitely had some recent eyes on it so there should be no current build failures but I absolutely do keep the older versions in working condition.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I proceeded and went through the step of starting a Gnome session from my ssh console and then testing a console and then closing with Ctrl-C. There were some messages generated which may be of interest and are preserved for 1 month at: https://pastebin.com/PiXYYHfv

I'll continue moving forward with the Sakaki Install Guide. Thank you, again.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Just a short update to notify you that updated elogind releases are out, fixing this problem. I personally only tested 239.1 and to me it seemed to work fine.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpoole wrote:
I'll continue moving forward with the Sakaki Install Guide.

Excuse the delay, I pretty much just got back to the desk.

I finished spinning up a full GNOME 3.24 test install and I encountered 2 non-blocking build failures:
  • GNOME Builder
  • Simple Scan
I did not encounter your build failure with GNOME Control Center (but I didn't encounter it the last time it was mentioned either).

All three packages have been corrected so please sync up and finish your GNOME install.

That said, I did not have a problem using GDM/startx. Did you have X working before you started?

Shibotto wrote:
Hi! Just a short update to notify you that updated elogind releases are out, fixing this problem. I personally only tested 239.1 and to me it seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have included these releases but they'll probably remain keyword masked for a while.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
  • #653786 ([...] won't generate thumbnails without bubblewrap installed); and
  • #654096 ([...] won't generate thumbnails for video files even with bubblewrap)
As some of you already know, I haven't been able to get bubblewrap to work on Gentoo at all but apparently it does so I'll be making time to look into this again since (allegedly) more stuff is going to use bubblewrap in the future.

Since I was playing around with bubblewrap anyway, I decided to give it a shot and as for Nautilus it seems to work fine. A brief demonstration, if you wanna lose 30 secs of your life :lol: :lol:
https://youtu.be/-nKngXFBDsc
I made sure the "disable sandbox" patch we talked about the other time did not get applied.

With the patch included in 654096 it works fine even for video files, although it seems kinda slow, but maybe is just an impression. Also exactly like last time, path must be adjusted for Nautilus.

I will probably try this with gnome-desktop in the future.

Remote thumbnails in Nautilus are still broken though, I don't know if it's reported already :lol: :lol:

EDIT: meanwhile I'll share my laptop kernel config, hoping it'll be of some help understanding why bwrap doesn't work for you (I'm pointing my finger at NAMESPACES). It's a horrible merge of Arch/Debian default configs, stripped of what I'm sure I'll never need. Please don't judge :oops:

Last edited by Shibotto on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following up on dantrell's advisement that he updated the layer. I performed an eix-sync and found three packages to update, all of which successfully installed. The packages were:
Quote:
[ebuild N ] media-gfx/simple-scan-3.24.1::dantrell-gnome-3-24 USE="colord (-packagekit)" 0 KiB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps-3.24.0:3.0::dantrell-gnome-3-24 USE="bijiben epiphany evolution fonts games recipes share shotwell simple-scan todo -anjuta -boxes -builder -california -empathy (-flashback) -geary -gnote -latexila -multiwriter -tracker" 0 KiB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-3.24.0:2.0::dantrell-gnome-3-24 USE="bluetooth cdr classic cups extras -accessibility" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (3 new), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

All looks to be well. Now to get the on-board camera to work. Thank you.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dantrell,

can my problem of emerging mesa-18.2.3 have something to do with my plasma & gnome combined profile ?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1088158-highlight-.html
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
A brief demonstration, if you wanna lose 30 secs of your life :lol: :lol:
https://youtu.be/-nKngXFBDsc

MFW. :lol:

Thanks for testing though.

Elleni wrote:
can my problem of emerging mesa-18.2.3 have something to do with my plasma & gnome combined profile ?

I don't believe so.

Aside a keyword change and a couple masks, I haven't touched Meson at all.

I checked the Gentoo base profiles too and they aren't doing anything special either.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure, am I the only one missing Night Light in settings? https://imgur.com/a/nqWIOA8

It can still be managed with dconf though.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Just to make sure, am I the only one missing Night Light in settings?

It was tied to the colord USE flag if memory serves.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Shibotto wrote:
Just to make sure, am I the only one missing Night Light in settings?

It was tied to the colord USE flag if memory serves.

Now that you mention it, I don't have it here either, and I do have colord enabled for everything that could be related to this.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. There's a missing
Code:
#include <config.h>

in [gnome-control-center]/panels/display/cc-display-panel.c, thus the #define for colord never gets picked up. Must be added to the everything's optional patch.

My first taste of Meson :lol:
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Code:
#include <config.h>

in [gnome-control-center]/panels/display/cc-display-panel.c, thus the #define for colord never gets picked up. Must be added to the everything's optional patch.

Nice find :) Tested and working with a user patch for now.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Code:
#include <config.h>

Now I get to ask you -- how in the world did you find that? I have been searching since the original poster described the issue.

That is a feature that I don't use, so I didn't even notice that it was missing.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
Now that you mention it, I don't have it here either, and I do have colord enabled for everything that could be related to this.

Shibotto wrote:
Found it.

saboya wrote:
Nice find :) Tested and working with a user patch for now.

I didn't even get a chance to look into the issue yet. :lol:

Thanks for expediting the process. Sync up and you should be good to go.

runningnak3d wrote:
Now I get to ask you -- how in the world did you find that? I have been searching since the original poster described the issue.

My guess is the process went something like this:
  • Find the cause of the issue. If it's code related, then it's probably in a patch or in the original source code.
    In this case, the cause was a patch.

• Review the code. If you know where the problematic code is then this is easy, otherwise, needle meet haystack. :twisted:
    Understanding of pseudo-code is probably enough to make an educated guess.

• Correct the issue. This requires you to be familiar with the code's programming language.
    In this case, usage of define statements should be accompanied by a configuration header.

Last edited by dantrell on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
Now I get to ask you -- how in the world did you find that?

Ahahah it's my turn now! XD
It roughly went like this:

Assumptions:
  • The service works when configured with dconf, so I'll restrict this to gnome-control-center
  • dantrell remembered this having to do with colord, so most likely the patch broke something

So I start:
  • I try removing the patch. Good it works, at least the assumptions were good
  • No typos in the colord part of the patch, so I ebuild (man 1 ebuild) step by step
  • Since it spans in one source file only, I manually remove every "#ifdef" and Night Light shows up
  • After the configure phase I notice Meson creates a config.h containing amongst other things "#define BUILD_COLOR" which I supposed it's a good sign. This confused me a lot though, since I know sh... ehm, nothing about pretty much any build system
  • After pointlessly staring at the screen for an hour I realize digging Meson documentation about that config.h is actually not that bad an idea, and there I found source files need to include it to pick up directives (at the bottom of the page I linked in the previous post)

A bit messy, but it got the work done :lol:

dantrell wrote:
I didn't even get a chance to look into the issue yet. :lol:

We are evolving and we'll slowly take over. Expect us 8O 8O 8O

Glad to help, I actually enjoy fixing things :lol:
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

Just a heads up, building a 32bit version of librsvg is broken:

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/release/librsvg_internals.a(core-5bd7e5e2c86d02e2.core13-7d180f92cac13b8f831ae8a4ebccb9d5.rs.rcgu.o)' is incompatible with i386 output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1110: librsvg-2.la] Error 1

It appears that somewhere the abi_x86_32 USE flag is getting ignored and 64bit code is compiled, so of course the linker goes nuts.

I will be glad to post anything else, but I am sure this is an easy fix for someone that knows ebuilds better than me.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
Just a heads up, building a 32bit version of librsvg is broken [...]

Does LibRsvg 2.42.7 build?

Code:
emerge --ask --nodeps --oneshot =gnome-base/librsvg-2.42.7

runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Does LibRsvg 2.42.7 build?

Code:
emerge --ask --nodeps --oneshot =gnome-base/librsvg-2.42.7

No -- same problem -- 64bit object files:

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.42.7/work/librsvg-2.42.7-abi_x86_32.x86/target/release/librsvg_internals.a(compiler_builtins-9e58b19e55e911aa.compiler_builtins1-e0a6245f4df0850f83d2562c30728ce9.rs.rcgu.o)' is incompatible with i386 output

However -- 2.40.20 *does* build.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
No -- same problem -- 64bit object files [...]

I don't have a 32-bit test install to work with but I think I have pinpointed the issue.

Please sync up and try again.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
runningnak3d wrote:
No -- same problem -- 64bit object files [...]

I don't have a 32-bit test install to work with but I think I have pinpointed the issue.

Please sync up and try again.

No, but this is different:

Code:

Compiling nodrop v0.1.12
     Running `rustc --crate-name nodrop vendor/nodrop/src/lib.rs --crate-type lib --emit=dep-info,link -C opt-level=3 -C debuginfo=2 -C metadata=c12775c74218f2a8 -C extra-filename=-c12775c74218f2a8 --out-dir /var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps --target i686-unknown-linux-gnu -L dependency=/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps -L dependency=/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/release/deps --cap-lints allow`
error[E0463]: can't find crate for `core`
  |
  = note: the `i686-unknown-linux-gnu` target may not be installed

error: aborting due to previous error

For more information about this error, try `rustc --explain E0463`.
error: Could not compile `nodrop`.

Caused by:
  process didn't exit successfully: `rustc --crate-name nodrop vendor/nodrop/src/lib.rs --crate-type lib --emit=dep-info,link -C opt-level=3 -C debuginfo=2 -C metadata=c12775c74218f2a8 -C extra-filename=-c12775c74218f2a8 --out-dir /var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps --target i686-unknown-linux-gnu -L dependency=/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/release/deps -L dependency=/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/release/deps --cap-lints allow` (exit code: 1)
warning: build failed, waiting for other jobs to finish...
error: build failed
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1954: /var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86/target/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/release/librsvg_internals.a] Error 101
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1456: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8/work/librsvg-2.44.8-abi_x86_32.x86'
make: *** [Makefile:939: all] Error 2
 * ERROR: gnome-base/librsvg-2.44.8::dantrell-gnome failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed

Again, if you need me to post more info, please let me know. I am most certainly at a loss as to why 2.40.20 will build, but this won't.

-- Brian
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

runningnak3d wrote:
No, but this is different [...]

This one is a known issue.

Basically it can't find Rust's core library for a 32-bit build. So what's the output of:

Code:
find /usr/lib*/rust-* -name libcore*.rlib

Also, what is ABI_X86 set to for dev-lang/rust?

runningnak3d wrote:
I am most certainly at a loss as to why 2.40.20 will build, but this won't.

It's because they rewrote it in Rust.
runningnak3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: librsvg 32bit build Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Basically it can't find Rust's core library for a 32-bit build. So what's the output of:

Code:

Also, what is ABI_X86 set to for dev-lang/rust?

Here ya go:

Code:

/usr/lib64/rust-1.29.2/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libcore-5bd7e5e2c86d02e2.rlib
/usr/lib/rust-1.29.2/rustlib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libcore-5bd7e5e2c86d02e2.rlib

Also here is the output from an emerge of rust:

Code:

emerge -av rust

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] dev-lang/rust-1.29.2:stable/1.29::gentoo  USE="jemalloc -cargo -clippy -debug -doc -libressl -rls -rustfmt -wasm" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse2" LLVM_TARGETS="(X86) -AArch64 -AMDGPU -ARM -BPF -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -Sparc -SystemZ -XCore" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Thanks very much for your help.

-- Brian
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's basically because you don't compile 32-bit rust:

Code:
ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the delay, I just got back to the desk.

runningnak3d wrote:
Here ya go [...]

From what I see here you only have the 64-bit version of Rust.

runningnak3d wrote:
Also here is the output from an emerge of rust [...]

saboya wrote:
So, it's basically because you don't compile 32-bit rust [...]

So I concur with saboya that you are missing the 32-bit version. The question is why.

I checked Gentoo's base profiles to see if it was doing anything special but nothing stood out. So unless I missed something, it's looking like the issue is on your end.

I would say search /etc/portage for ABI_X86 and abi_x86_32 because it looks like you have ABI_X86="64" set globally but USE="abi_x86_32" on gnome-base/librsvg.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: