Extraneous characters at end of man pages [Solved/Explained]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Extraneous characters at end of man pages [Solved/Explained] Reply with quote

This has been bugging me for some time: whenever I display a man page (eg 'man man') I always see the following characters at the end of the pager output: "(nlu+10". This is true for every manpage I view. It happens when I use a Konsole terminal, and it happens in XFCE terminals.

If I copy or create a manpage in my local directory and display it with '$ man ./localman.1' I see the extraneous characters at the end. Always "(nlu+10".

If I uncompress the compressed man page in the cache (eg /var/cache/man/cat1/man1.xz) with unxz -c I see the same extraneous characters at the end.

If I use 'nroff -mandoc localman.1' I see the output formatted correctly, with no extraneous characters. If I compress the nroff output with xz to a file and then view it with the same pager man uses from /etc/man.conf ("less -isR") there are no extraneous characters. If I decompress the file with unxz there are no extraneous characters.

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the terminals (all in UTF-8 locale), the compressor/decompressor, or the pager, but with the man program itself while it's piping data around. It looks suspiciously like it has an issue with a newline ('nl' and '10') somewhere. Has anyone else run into this and found a fix?

Last edited by radio_flyer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
mike155
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which man package do you use? sys-apps/man-db or sys-apps/man?
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-apps/man. It generally works other than for the extraneous characters.
mike155
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I also used sys-apps/man. Then I switched my machines to Unicode. From that day, I had troubles with sys-apps/man. I could fix some of the bugs - but others popped up. After a while, I switched to sys-apps/man-db. I've never had problems again.

sys-apps/man seems to be unmaintained. The last release was in 2010, the web site http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/ is unreachable (at least today).

The sys-apps/man-db project is regularly publishing new releases. Look at http://www.nongnu.org/man-db/ and http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/man-db/.

My recommendation: switch to sys-apps/man-db.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above post, but the most likely answer to your question: sys-apps/man relies on bashisms in the "echo" command and you have dash as the system shell.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the result of the perfectly wrong fix for sys-apps/man-1.6g uses non-portable `echo \n`. Upstream's code used echo in a non-portable way that would cause a literal \n when used with bash, but a newline when used with dash. Upstream intended for this to produce a literal \n; only dash users received the wrong result. With the fix that Spanky put in, the modified code always produces a newline, so now everyone gets the wrong result, instead of only dash users.

Last edited by Hu on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hu and everyone, that explains what's going on. With a rolling distribution like Gentoo--in my case I'm still using my original 2004 install re-compiled through many hardware upgrades--sometimes obsolescence just sneaks up on you :D

Sounds like it may be time to move on to man-db. I'll mark this solved/explained.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: