View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspahn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: OK got nvidia working with desktop effects...What setting on Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out this really annoying setting. It seems like entire windows blur if I don't use a window, it gradually starts to blur. Is this a desktop-effects setting? if I move the cursor or focus away from the text I have been typing, it blurs the text when I move the cursor away... and the text sharpens when the cursor moves back near it. Any idea where the setting is? I didn't see it under Desktop Effects and I didnt see anything that looked like it would do this. Any ideas?

Since there is no admin beer, I stick to root beer.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: OK got nvidia working with desktop effects...What settin Reply with quote

dspahn wrote:
I am trying to figure out this really annoying setting. It seems like entire windows blur if I don't use a window, it gradually starts to blur. Is this a desktop-effects setting? if I move the cursor or focus away from the text I have been typing, it blurs the text when I move the cursor away... and the text sharpens when the cursor moves back near it. Any idea where the setting is? I didn't see it under Desktop Effects and I didnt see anything that looked like it would do this. Any ideas?

KDE? Gnome? *Box? XFCE?

Compositor? Driver? Xorg version?
dspahn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Kde.... Reply with quote

Everything has been a fresh gentoo install from the past two weeks.I am not using Wayland, but I am using plasma,
Here is what I get from an emerge xorg-server -av (I am running amd64 stable ecept for my nVidia drivers, which are the closed-source):
Quote:
[ebuild U ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.20::gentoo [1.19::gentoo] INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard libinput mouse synaptics -elographics -evdev -joystick -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="i915 intel nouveau* nvidia -amdgpu -ast -dummy -fbdev (-freedreno) (-geode) -glint -i965 -mga -nv (-omap) -qxl -r128 -radeon -radeonsi -siliconmotion (-tdfx) (-tegra) (-vc4) -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo) (-newport%)" 0 KiB
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.93::gentoo USE="libkms -valgrind" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="intel nouveau* -amdgpu (-exynos) (-freedreno) (-omap) -radeon (-tegra) (-vc4) (-vivante) -vmware" 0 KiB
[ebuild N ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.15-r1::gentoo 0 KiB
[ebuild r U ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.3:0/1.20.3::gentoo [1.19.5-r2:0/1.19.5::gentoo] USE="dmx glamor ipv6 kdrive systemd udev wayland* xephyr xnest xorg xvfb -debug -doc -libssl -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -unwind -xcsecurity (-suid%*) (-tslib%)" 6,060 KiB
[ebuild rR ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20180214-r1::gentoo USE="dri dri3 sna tools udev xvmc -debug -uxa" 0 KiB
[ebuild rR ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.9.0::gentoo 0 KiB
[ebuild rR ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.9.3::gentoo 0 KiB
[ebuild rR ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.9.1::gentoo 0 KiB
[ebuild r U ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput-0.28.1::gentoo [0.27.1::gentoo] 368 KiB
[ebuild rR ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.6::gentoo 0 KiB
[ebuild rR ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-410.66:0/410::gentoo USE="X acpi driver kms multilib tools uvm wayland -compat -gtk3 -pax_kernel -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB

But one of the biggest problems here is that it blurs text in my active window- sometimes while I am typing. Under desktop effects, I have the following enabled:
-Track Mouse
-Fall Apart
-Maximize
-Translucency
-logout
-minimize Animation
-Desktop Cube Animation
-Desktop Cube

I've tried turning each off and still having the problem.

Just noticed an additional fact that might shed some light- It looks like, if I drag a window, that there is a border around the outside of the window border where things are sharp and clear, which moved with the window. In measurement terms, there is a half inch of the proper sharpness that has an outer border where everything blurs outside of the line. I confirmed again that this is not related to Wobbly Windows or Translucency. Wondering if it miht be related to an AA setting or something in the nVidia-drivers toolkit.... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Since there is no admin beer, I stick to root beer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: