Long term build times
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garbanzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Long term build times Reply with quote

As time goes by computers get faster and software gets bigger. Over the long run, will build times get longer or shorter? How does the time to update world for a general purpose desktop compare to 10 years ago? What might it look like 10 years from now?
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Long term build times Reply with quote

Garbanzo wrote:
As time goes by computers get faster and software gets bigger. Over the long run, will build times get longer or shorter? How does the time to update world for a general purpose desktop compare to 10 years ago? What might it look like 10 years from now?

Shorter, for sure.

With 1220 packages installed, including libreoffice & firefox, an emerge -e @world takes this system about 13 hours or so. Years back, well over 24 hours would have been needed, especially considering the size of the newer browsers.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the compile times of llvm, clang, gcc, rust,chromium et al exploded in the past 2 years.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
IMO the compile times of llvm, clang, gcc, rust,chromium et al exploded in the past 2 years.

Especially chromium
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a general purpose desktop include the inner-operating-system-masquerading-as-a-browser (modern Chrome, modern Firefox) as an integral component?
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:

++

Absolutely.

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Especially chromium

Well, with Firefox needing rust, it's also quite the compile fiend.

I haven't tried building a newer chromium since firefox went quantum. So far. firefox works perfectly for my needs.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:

It doesn't help that rust bundles *another* copy of llvm...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What circumstances?

Same hardware, same software: the baseline, won't change.
Faster hardware, same software: time goes down
Same hardware, newer software: time goes up
Faster hardware, newer software: usually same as before.

Firefox itself also is increasing in compile time, and that's not counting the rust dependency (plus there's no distrust (yeah, right) whereas old firefox could distcc).

Has anyone gotten back down to a 1-minute kernel compile with modern hardware? My "fast" machine is old and slow now compared to modern machines, but even when it was new, I couldn't get kernel compile times back to a minute and a half or so when I had my dual overclocked celerons, though it got close - maybe 2 and a half minutes.
On the other hand, that dual celeron machine will take much longer to build that kernel.

Now my i7 takes probably 5 mins or so for a recent kernel, but I haven't timed it in a while.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Long term build times Reply with quote

Garbanzo wrote:

Long term software performance is subject to Parkinson's Law (effectively the cure for Moore's Law); code bloats until it's no longer realistic to compile it. (The same's true for the applications themselves.)

In 10 years time, we'll still be moaning that Chromium takes hours to compile, despite having 256 cores running at 4 GHz and 100 GB memory :-(
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former employer has a industrial application written in C++. The applications had to be customized and recompiled for each customer. Compile time was about 6 hours. They rewrote the application in C. Compile time was cut to 1.5 hours.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people moan about compile times, the bean counters then end up using interpreted languages... an even worse solution...
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Long term build times Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Long term software performance is subject to Parkinson's Law (effectively the cure for Moore's Law); code bloats until it's no longer realistic to compile it.

++
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Long term build times Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Garbanzo wrote:

Shorter, for sure.

With 1220 packages installed, including libreoffice & firefox, an emerge -e @world takes this system about 13 hours or so. Years back, well over 24 hours would have been needed, especially considering the size of the newer browsers.
Yes, shorter for sure. On my first Gentoo installation in 2005, running on a 90 MHz Pentium I with (eventually) 128MiB of RAM, compiling GCC took a week.

- John
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in 2005, the P90 is already almost a decade old, so that's not a proper comparison - else I could say my old K6-233 takes a 2 months to build current software and conclude software compile times are O(n!) as time goes on...

Need to at least compare mediocre P3 (the P4 was introduced in 2005) compilation times, say a P3-600, and that 1 week compilation time drops to a day - 24 hours - and we're back to where we started...

Software compilation times are disgusting.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really:
Code:
~ # genlop -t sys-devel/gcc-7.3.0-r3
 * sys-devel/gcc

Fri Jun 22 15:30:04 2018 >>> sys-devel/gcc-7.3.0-r3
       merge time: 26 minutes and 8 seconds.

~ # </proc/cpuinfo grep 'model name' | head -n1
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz
Also, I'm sure that modern gcc is a much bigger program than it was in 2005.

- John
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder if it really took 24 hours to build gcc on a P3-600 or 1 week on a P90 too, unless you were running on poorly configured hardware.

I had a personal record of a 5 hour Linux 0.99pl12 compile time on a 386DX40 - but this is also not a proper compile time comparison as I know it was swapping to a slow hard drive the whole time, a "then modern" disk upgrade on the same machine dropped the compile time to an hour; but even this was not a proper comparison as 486DX2's were already out by then.

Also it took me almost 6+ hours to compile gcc-2.something on a 33MHz SPARC clone with only 8MB RAM, but once again that machine was suboptimal as it was badly swapping all along the way.

All in all, this is a hard question to answer unless there are some baselines available (like no/minimal swapping, using "modern" hardware available at the time and not already outdated, etc.) I do have to say that SSDs are probably the largest bump that happened to computer speeds in recent times as CPU CPS and IPC have been slow to increase, but compile times should not be disk limited -- unless it was swapping.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to eat a little crow here.
my emerge.log:
05/31/05 20:16:21:  === (4 of 25) Compiling/Merging (sys-devel/gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1::/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1.ebuild)
06/01/05 06:19:12:  === (4 of 25) Post-Build Cleaning (sys-devel/gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1::/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1.ebuild)
Clearly I mis-remembered; gcc took about 8 hours on that Pentium I.

What I was apparently remembering was an "emerge --emptytree system" that I did shortly thereafter. That did take a week.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: