Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
To avoid gnome-base/dconf, you can simply build libreoffice with +gtk2 -gtk, at least at this point. iirc it was made a dependency for gtk simply because LO's gtk3-vcl was broken without it [and current gtk+3 pulls in dbus anyway, making the granularity just for dconf a waste of time].

I hear you, I'm trying it right now. I recall trying to build with +gtk2 but the UI was buggy, specifically the menu bar on the top of the window was completely missing and only having a small "x" close-window button in the top right corner around where the "File" drop-down usually is. However, I may have built with +gtk +gtk2 (not 100% on that) so that may have introduced some problems.
Nevertheless, the LO ebuild seems quite buggy in that department; a quick skim through it revealed that there is a "gtk3" flag referenced (probably a left-over from previous versions) and, more importantly, no action, like --disable-gtk3, is done at the configure stage when +gtk2 is set, it only affects dependencies. Like I said, LO is currently building with -gtk +gtk2 with no gtk+:3 installed, let's see what monster comes out... ;) :lol:

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't spot such a gtk3 use flag reference.

It does not have to disable gtk3, since it can build both VCLs.

Re buggy experience: It may well have been that you did not run the gtk2 VCL, but that LO defaulted to gtk3 if not otherwise specified. It should still run perfectly fine with gtk2 only.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 100th post! :P
asturm wrote:
I can't spot such a gtk3 use flag reference.

I meant in line no. 435 in libreoffice-6.0.6.2.ebuild: $(use_enable gtk gtk3)
Upon reading here and here, I realised "use_enable" can also take two arguments; the lines therefore mean "if USE="+gtk", do --enable-gtk3" and "if USE="+gtk2", do --enable-gtk".

EDIT/FOLLOW-UP:
LO's config script wrote:
--disable-gtk Determines whether to use Gtk+ vclplug on platforms where Gtk+ is available.
--disable-gtk3 Determines whether to use Gtk+ 3.0 vclplug on platforms where Gtk+ 3.0 is available. This is experimental and may not work.
Does "this" refer to disabling gtk3 or enabling it, i.e. is DISABLING gtk3 experimental and may not work? :?:
asturm wrote:

I wasn't aware and haven't found any documentation talking about it either, is there an explanation of how LO handles this?
asturm wrote:
Re buggy experience: It may well have been that you did not run the gtk2 VCL, but that LO defaulted to gtk3 if not otherwise specified. It should still run perfectly fine with gtk2 only.

I'm still not sure what VCL's are (is it the same as "gtk-plugin"?) and how it relates to compiling against different frontends.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Like I said, LO is currently building with -gtk +gtk2 with no gtk+:3 installed, let's see what monster comes out... ;) :lol:
About LibreOffice wrote:
Version: 6.0.6.2
Build ID: Gentoo official package
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.14; UI render: default; VCL: gtk2;
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); Calc: CL

Looking good! The bug I was talking about is not present and no dbus on my system.
Still, the option for running with gtk2 is being dropped by more and more projects, LO is sure to follow soon (the 7 release? I don't follow LO development so I don't know what the current plans are); if Anon-E-moose's patch gets accepted I propose adding a new USE flag to the libreoffice ebuild specifically to let the user choose whether she wants to complile with --enable-dconf or not (considering that it's dependent on D-Bus).

NeddySeagoon wrote:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
EDIT/FOLLOW-UP:
LO's config script wrote:
--disable-gtk Determines whether to use Gtk+ vclplug on platforms where Gtk+ is available.
--disable-gtk3 Determines whether to use Gtk+ 3.0 vclplug on platforms where Gtk+ 3.0 is available. This is experimental and may not work.
Does "this" refer to disabling gtk3 or enabling it, i.e. is DISABLING gtk3 experimental and may not work? :?:

Gtk+3 was experimental up until 5.4, but Gtk+3 is no longer experimental in 6.0, that's why USE=gtk switched from 2 to 3.

Marcih wrote:
asturm wrote:

I wasn't aware and haven't found any documentation talking about it either, is there an explanation of how LO handles this?

Basically, configure.ac allows it. You can build with all available VCLs, LO will try to detect the environment it is running in and select the startup VCL accordingly unless otherwise specified by the user.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dconf should only be required if running gnome or a gnome derivative, as it's basically for gnome style configuration systems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: