[Solved]Incorrect Terminal Sizing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: [Solved]Incorrect Terminal Sizing Reply with quote

I've recently plugged a previously headless computer into a TV I plan to use as a monitor, I've yet to install X or anything (so forgive me if this is the wrong section of the forums) but the terminal is displaying far too large for the screen and a good 5% of each edge is missing from the display. The same goes for when Gentoo is loading.

Is there a way to re-size my terminal display or to get it to correctly detect the screen size of the monitor?

edit to add: I've checked and am using the Nouveaufb as framebuffer

Last edited by HungGarTiger on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though you're using an analog video signal? What video card are you using, and what type of connector on the card? And what connector on the TV?

I would suggest looking at the TV settings for overscan and all that. There should be settings for:

1. Horizontal size
  2. Vertical size
  3. Horizontal alignment
  4. Vertical alignment
  5. Trapezoid

And probably some more. Those are the ones I remember, but FWIW I haven't used an analog video source for years.

You should also ensure that your computer's configured screen resolution actually matches the monitor's native resolution.
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 1clue, yes one button press on the TV fixed it. Just changes the resultion setting to "scan" and it's prefect now.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the opportunity you might consider losing all the analog components in your signal path. It reduces eye strain and makes your life simpler.

I know that may not be economically feasible, but I've found that many people have the ability to have a digital signal path but use some converter to go through an analog connector. Like their video card supports multiple connectors and they go all the way back to the old-school 25 pin for some reason. Or they don't realize that some of the DVI connectors support analog.

I don't know where in the world you are, and I realize you may not have the means to do what I'm saying. I'm not trying to play games here. But these days the digital equipment is likely not much different in price than the analog.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: