View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenmetsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Strange bootup issue affecting XDM Reply with quote

Looking for a little assistance here. I've been running Gentoo for quite some time, but this is the biggest WTF that I've ever encountered.

In setting up a Gentoo install on an HP Chromebook for a friend, I noticed that the NetworkMangler widget in KDE was completely blank, mainly on account of NetworkManager not running. Sure enough, `/etc/init.d/NetworkManager status` reported stopped. No matter what I tried initially, re-install of NM, changing OpenRC to parallel, adding delays to /etc/init.d/NetworkManager script... nothing worked.

It wasn't until I ran into a similar issue with xdm that I realized that something was horribly amiss. If I create a bash script to run Network Manager or xdm from /etc/local.d, they run just fine. There is ZERO indication from the logs that OpenRC is even attempting to start either service. I already checked to make certain that there wasn't an issue with dbus, and it appears to be starting fine.
zenmetsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marking this as resolved.

I found an obscure thread from several years ago where a user ran into a similar issue. His solution ultimately was a full re-install. I would prefer not to perform a full reinstall.

I did notice that rc-update show default showed NetworkManager and xdm, however rc-status did not. I verified that openrc was making zero attempt to start either service.

I chose to issue an `emerge -1 openrc` and rebooted. To my amazement, the system came up into xdm as requested. The solution, should anyone run into a similar issue, is to re-emerge openrc.

Still curious why it was broken. Nothing was getting logged when openrc was set to verbose and log-enabled.
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who where you, Denvercoder9? What did you see?!

My deepest gratitude, dear sir/madam. You helped me to pin an issue down that kept me on my toes for the last two days.

Thanks a lot.

Adopt an unanswered post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: