Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Strange behavior after install -- sanity check available?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Strange behavior after install -- sanity check available? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Back on Gentoo after a long hiatus (around one year, mostly for work / time reasons), I'm happily returning to Gentoo, and after installation was finished, some strange behavior appeared. I built Gentoo inside a live Ubuntu Xenial, which hasn't been difficult at all, and when reached the time of deployment, I just tarballed it, repartitioned and formatted the disk, and extracted the tarball like a standard stage3:

Code:
tar xpvf mytarball.tar.bz2 --xattrs-include='*.*' --numeric-owner

After installing and configuring the bootloader, everywhing worked pretty out of the box, except some strange bugs:

- Ping had this old (and odd) permissions issue that led to not allow me to ping from an unprivileged user (already fixed);
- kscreenloker, after a few minutes, suddenly refuses to accept my password and I'm left with no alternatives other than reboot the system (i think pinned that one down);
- The system (kde?) is unable to remember the brightness after a reboot (we're talking about a generic ultrabook here).
- (other not discovered yet?)

As this system is rather new (no more than one week old and I haven't even been working every day with it), I'd like to know if we have some sort of sanity check -- something like revdep-rebuid that crawls and analyzes the whole filesystem looking for filesystem and permissions inconsistencies.

My system:

emerge --info | lspci | usb-devices

Thanks in advance.

Adopt an unanswered post.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are worried about a package being corrupt or something; you can always use equery check, according to the man page, it's would even do all installed packages with a simple
Code:
equery check '*'

Note: The * needs to be in ' ' to properly scan all packages.

Otherwise I recall, kde use to be finicky on the user saved configs (.kde and .config), specially on version changes. So you may want to try checking with a new user and see if settings are saved correctly for that user.

I don't know of anything right off hand that checks permission issues.
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly gave a lot of results! Although a big chunk of them are false positives (e.g. cache files and/or wrong timestamps), it seems that I've got some work to do.

Thanks a lot!

Adopt an unanswered post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: