View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Patching out D-Bus dependencies Reply with quote

EDIT: Since the discussion branched out further to other packages, I changed the subject from the original "GTK+3 without at-spi2"

I don't want to use D-Bus on my machine. Plain and simple.

Since most projects are moving or have already moved to the GTK+3 toolkit it is becoming increasingly more difficult to avoid it: sys-apps/dbus required by app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk, required by x11-libs/gtk+:3 [X]
I've heard of people setting the "wayland" USE flag even though they use Xorg (which, naturally, pulls in Wayland and related packages) just to avoid it. I've looked at the ebuild and, even with zero bash or ebuild-writing experience, it seems relatively easy to remove the dependency/create a new USE flag to offload the dependency to.

My question then is: are there any known cases of build failures or other instances you-broke-it-you-get-to-keep-all-the-pieces while attempting such a thing? I don't use (or want) accessibility features (yet the developers seem hell-bent on shoving it down my throat anyways) so I wouldn't be missing much on that front, I mean more serious things.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.

Last edited by Marcih on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already a patch for the ebuild and the tar ball to remove the "hard dependency" on at-spi bridge, and AFAIK it works without problems.

This one is fine tuned (line numbers adjusted) for gtk+-3.22.30 https://paste.pound-python.org/show/GyNmRVpl4FcPRK2DI7IG/

edit to add: patch for ebuild is https://paste.pound-python.org/show/r1f2cNsMkCR9da3dLdv2/ <-don't use->

ETA2: use this https://paste.pound-python.org/show/4MUvvdU0NprBDvFEc611/ to patch the ebuild, I left off a newline from the other one.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
There's already a patch for the ebuild and the tar ball to remove the "hard dependency" on at-spi bridge, and AFAIK it works without problems.

This one is fine tuned (line numbers adjusted) for gtk+-3.22.30 https://paste.pound-python.org/show/GyNmRVpl4FcPRK2DI7IG/

edit to add: patch for ebuild is https://paste.pound-python.org/show/r1f2cNsMkCR9da3dLdv2/

Ah, thanks, that seems better than doing
Code:
[...]
IUSE="accessibility aqua broadway cloudprint colord cups examples +introspection test vim-syntax wayland +X xinerama"
REQUIRED_USE="
        || ( aqua wayland X )
        xinerama? ( X )
        accessibility? ( X )
[...]
 X? (
[...]
                accessibility? ( >=app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk-2.5.3[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}] )
)

How do I apply the patch(es)?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy /usr/portage/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild to local directory and apply https://paste.pound-python.org/show/4MUvvdU0NprBDvFEc611/
changed the link as the other had left off a newline
Save https://paste.pound-python.org/show/GyNmRVpl4FcPRK2DI7IG/ as gtk+-3.22.30.atk-bridge.patch in files directory in local directory.

emerge and enjoy. :)

Note:
It could be set up to use the user patch area, but I wasn't familiar with it when I did the above, so that is left as an exercise for the reader.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
copy /usr/portage/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild to local directory and apply https://paste.pound-python.org/show/r1f2cNsMkCR9da3dLdv2/

Save https://paste.pound-python.org/show/GyNmRVpl4FcPRK2DI7IG/ as gtk+-3.22.30.atk-bridge.patch in files directory in local directory.

emerge and enjoy. :)

Note:
It could be set up to use the user patch area, but I wasn't familiar with it when I did the above, so that is left as an exercise for the reader.

Thanks a lot for providing an additional patch and instructions! :) I've stuck it in my local overlay and masked the gtk+:3 from the official Gentoo repo. That's one less D-Bus-pulling thing to worry about... :D

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the fact that dbus was pulled in either (as I run a dbus-less system)

It's a little aggravating as the original gtk3 series they had the patch applied so it was an option, but then they took it out, thereby forcing it on everyone.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
ETA2: use this https://paste.pound-python.org/show/4MUvvdU0NprBDvFEc611/ to patch the ebuild, I left off a newline from the other one.

Wait, both say:
Code:
$ patch gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild gtk3-patch-ebuild.patch
patching file gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
Hunk #4 succeeded at 152 with fuzz 1.

Is that fine? (As in, both say "patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line")

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I didn't like the fact that dbus was pulled in either (as I run a dbus-less system)

It's a little aggravating as the original gtk3 series they had the patch applied so it was an option, but then they took it out, thereby forcing it on everyone

Is that so? That's disappointing... Either way, this is just insurance in case there are any more applications that don't have an older, GTK+2-based version. I wasn't around at the time when the GNOME and GTK devs were supposedly sane (pre-GNOME3) but it feels GTK+2 is the last sane version, everything afterwards is going to be downhill; I have this morbid curiosity to see what the devs will pull with GTK+4. :lol:
But even then, I was forced to sacrifice some important things, most notably LibreOffice requiring xdg-conf (any suggestions?) and DaVinci Resolve looking like it requires D-Bus to function (and I'm sure there are others that I purged yesterday when going through this).

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Last edited by Marcih on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the fuzz factor is fine, the 1st one complained about missing new line, but will still work ok.

You should be good to go.

After you apply the ebuild patch and have the patch in the files directory,
you need to run "ebuild gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild manifest" so that portage knows about it.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Yeah the fuzz factor is fine, the 1st one complained about missing new line, but will still work ok.

You should be good to go.

After you apply the ebuild patch and have the patch in the files directory,
you need to run "ebuild gtk+-3.22.30.ebuild manifest" so that portage knows about it.

Cheers! :) (although as I said in the edit of my last post, not exactly keen on actually using anything GTK+3-based :lol:)

EDIT: And I'm already aware of having to create the manifest for new ebuilds but thanks for reminding me anyway. :)

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Last edited by Marcih on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
But even then, I was forced to sacrifice some important things, most notably LibreOffice requiring xdg-conf (any suggestions?) and DaVinci Resolve looking like it requires D-Bus to function (and I'm sure there are others that I purged yesterday when going through this).

You mean xdg-utils? Yeah, there's a fix for that too. And a thread somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

Edit to add: bug fix for xscreensaver and dbus https://bugs.gentoo.org/668156

OR just do what I did,

Add this line to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
Code:
x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1

and then do this
Code:
$ cd /usr/portage/x11-misc/xdg-utils/
$ ebuild xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1.ebuild compile
$ cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1/work/xdg-utils-1.1.3/scripts/
$ mv xdg-desktop-menu xdg-email xdg-icon-resource xdg-mime xdg-open xdg-settings /usr/local/bin

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
You mean xdg-utils? Yeah, there's a fix for that too. And a thread somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

My bad, yeah, that's what I meant; it pulls in Net-DBus (isn't clear why from the ebuild). There's also d/gconf as well though which comes up often, any chance for patches? My search-engine-fu seems to be in the need of refining because I haven't found any patches for any of the packages discussed... :roll:

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See above edit to add

I haven't messed with the d/gconf stuff, so I haven't looked into it.
Edit to add: that won't be easy to fix. I just typically avoid any and all gnome stuff, since almost everything "requires" gconf and it "has" to have dbus.
I don't know if there's a fix for it.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
bug fix for xscreensaver and dbus https://bugs.gentoo.org/668156

Very nice, thank you! :) I'll keep an eye on that bug, very interested in how this ends up being solved.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
OR just do what I did,

Add this line to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
Code:
x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1

and then do this
Code:
$ cd /usr/portage/x11-misc/xdg-utils/
$ ebuild xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1.ebuild compile
$ cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.3-r1/work/xdg-utils-1.1.3/scripts/
$ mv xdg-desktop-menu xdg-email xdg-icon-resource xdg-mime xdg-open xdg-settings /usr/local/bin

My first though would have been just to install x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.1-r1 but LibreOffice seems to require the 1.1.3-r1 version (for no discernable reason) so I may have to resort to your suggestion for now.
Anon-E-moose wrote:
I haven't messed with the d/gconf stuff, so I haven't looked into it.
Edit to add: that won't be easy to fix. I just typically avoid any and all gnome stuff, since almost everything "requires" gconf and it "has" to have dbus.
I don't know if there's a fix for it.

Shame, I'll still want to play around with it though... And you're right about it not being an easy fix but LibreOffice requires dconf so I can either sacrifice it or look into removing the dependency.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
LibreOffice seems to require the 1.1.3-r1 version (for no discernable reason)

It doesn't.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm is right it only require xdg-utils, 1.1.3 is latest stable so it tries to get pulled in, it could be masked then it would pull 1.1.1
if you're going to mask 1.1.3 I would copy 1.1.1 to local directory.

As far as dconf, at least with libre 6.0, if you specify gtk+-2 it doesn't pull in dconf, at least that's what it appears from a quick glance.

gtk2 and gtk3 should be mutely exclusive, but I don't see that in the ebuild.
If you use the kde use flag, it pulls in gtk3.
So it depends on lots of variables as to what is "required"

I don't use libreoffice, so I don't know what you get with gtk2, gtk3 or kde enabled. That's something to play with.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Marcih wrote:
LibreOffice seems to require the 1.1.3-r1 version (for no discernable reason)

It doesn't.

So that was why there was no discernable reason, it's because it wasn't true! :lol: Thanks for the heads-up, astrum.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
As far as dconf, at least with libre 6.0, if you specify gtk+-2 it doesn't pull in dconf, at least that's what it appears from a quick glance.

gtk2 and gtk3 should be mutely exclusive, but I don't see that in the ebuild.
If you use the kde use flag, it pulls in gtk3.
So it depends on lots of variables as to what is "required"

I don't use libreoffice, so I don't know what you get with gtk2, gtk3 or kde enabled. That's something to play with.

It looks like dconf is always pulled in when USE "gtk" is enabled. However, "gtk" seems to mean gtk+:3 because "gtk2" is not dependent on it. Is that what you meant with "gtk2 and gtk3 should be mutually exclusive but I don't see that in the ebuild"?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
However, "gtk" seems to mean gtk+:3 because "gtk2" is not dependent on it. Is that what you meant with "gtk2 and gtk3 should be mutually exclusive but I don't see that in the ebuild"?

Yes, that's what I meant.
I would have to look at the tarball to see if it really uses gtk2 and 3 at the same time or if they're mutually exclusive, but the ebuild just didn't pick that up.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant.
I would have to look at the tarball to see if it really uses gtk2 and 3 at the same time or if they're mutually exclusive, but the ebuild just didn't pick that up.
LFS wrote:
--disable-dconf: This switch disables compiling LibreOffice with the GNOME DConf configuration system support.

--disable-gtk3: Use this switch if you have not installed GTK+-3, or if you have installed it but wish to use GTK+-2 (the menu icons differ). Note that a GTK+-3 build still requires GTK+-2 to build the gtk-plugin.

So it looks like you can have a purely GTK+2 LibreOffice, but not a purely GTK+3 one...? Also, dconf looks to be possible to disable at compile-time. Looks like the ebuild should be fixed/updated?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could copy the ebuild to your local repository and modify it by either explicitly using the disable dconf flag or do what I did with gtk, add a use flag, and modify the ebuild in 2-3 places.

ie. something like, dconf use flag; dconf? () to bracket the dependency and at the bottom and if/else where the flags are passed to the tarball.

Edit to add: both gconf/dconf are basically for gnome, if not running gnome, they should be able to be turned off, the ebuild just isn't granular enough.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
You could copy the ebuild to your local repository and modify it by either explicitly using the disable dconf flag or do what I did with gtk, add a use flag, and modify the ebuild in 2-3 places.

ie. something like, dconf use flag; dconf? () to bracket the dependency and at the bottom and if/else where the flags are passed to the tarball.

Edit to add: both gconf/dconf are basically for gnome, if not running gnome, they should be able to be turned off, the ebuild just isn't granular enough.

I'll try my hand at editing the ebuild tomorrow. Like I said, I have ZARROO experience with ebuilds or bash, but I would like to learn both, (I'd to volunteer to be a proxy maintainer for the NetSurf browser package since that's my main browser (with Mozilla as backup for """webapps""") and the package hasn't been updated since 2016) so getting some practice is beneficial. :)

Speaking of patching ebuilds: Have you tried to open a bug with your patches for gtk+:3 in order to have them accepted into the official repo? If I can get the LibreOffice ebuild properly edited I'll definitely submit it.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Speaking of patching ebuilds: Have you tried to open a bug with your patches for gtk+:3 in order to have them accepted into the official repo?

I need to, I've just been uber-lazy in regards to that.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Marcih wrote:
Speaking of patching ebuilds: Have you tried to open a bug with your patches for gtk+:3 in order to have them accepted into the official repo?

I need to, I've just been uber-lazy in regards to that.

If/when you're going to, consider renaming the "atk-bridge" USE flag to "accessibility" (since that already is a USE flag) and making it depend on the "X" flag (I'm guessing the atk-spi2 packages were originally only pulled in for "X" for a reason) - I've made these edits to the ebuild you posted myself, I can post it if you want.

EDIT:
Code:
$ euse -i accessibility
global use flags (searching: accessibility)
[-      ] accessibility - Add support for accessibility (eg 'at-spi' library)

local use flags (searching: accessibility)
[-      ] accessibility
    app-emulation/qemu: Adds support for braille displays using brltty
        [-  ] 2.12.0-r3 [gentoo]
        [-  ] 2.12.1 [gentoo]
        [-  ] 3.0.0 [gentoo]
        [-  ] 9999 [gentoo]

$ euse -i atk-bridge
global use flags (searching: atk-bridge)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: atk-bridge)
no matching entries found

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some discussion of that when I first brought it up (don't remember the thread)

It's not turning off accessibility, the atk library is still pulled in, but at-spi bridge for atk isn't.
I'll mention it if/when I file a bug report and let them decide, if they even accept the patch.

I just did the bug report https://bugs.gentoo.org/669234

We'll see whether they accept it, I'm sure there will be some discussion of it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid gnome-base/dconf, you can simply build libreoffice with +gtk2 -gtk, at least at this point. iirc it was made a dependency for gtk simply because LO's gtk3-vcl was broken without it [and current gtk+3 pulls in dbus anyway, making the granularity just for dconf a waste of time].
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: