Postfix errors after mysql 5.6 to 5.7 upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Postfix errors after mysql 5.6 to 5.7 upgrade Reply with quote

After upgrading to mysql-5.7.23-r1 I get the following messages continually:

warning: mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf lookup error for "****@gmail.com"
warning: AB749E5BB: virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for ****@gmail.com

This happens for any mail sent or received regardless of domain.

I ran mysql_upgrade a bit after the fact with no errors, but still get the postfix errors.

So it seems I am without a mail server until I figure this out. Any help appreciated!

Edit:

Also from the mail logs a lot of this:
warning: mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf: query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'virtual WHERE email='comcast.net'' at line 1

And lines like this from the mysql log:
2018-10-22T02:11:30.841825Z 35 Connect mailsql@localhost on using Socket
2018-10-22T02:11:30.842316Z 35 Init DB mailsql
2018-10-22T02:11:30.842679Z 35 Query SELECT email, "", clear, uid, gid, homedir, maildir, "", name, "" FROM users WHERE email = '*****@radiex.com'
2018-10-22T02:11:41.120560Z 36 Connect mailsql@localhost on mailsql using Socket
2018-10-22T02:11:41.121125Z 36 Quit

mysql-virtual.cf hasn't been modified for years, and looks like the example from the Gentoo wiki. Not sure what to change in any event.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was postfix upgraded as well?

Bug 665280 - mail-mta/postfix-3.3.1-r1: Many permissions incorrect after update, postfix functionality impaired
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into a similar problem. Postfix is current.

But in the mail logs before the virtual lookup errors, I do see something similar to this, which might be the core of the problem:

Code:
postfix/cleanup[3598]: warning: connect to mysql server 127.0.0.1: SSL connection error: error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)

I also performed mysql_upgrade. So outbound mails are in the queue, and flushing the queue will generate these errors.

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] dev-db/mysql-5.7.23-r2:0/18::gentoo  USE="latin1 perl server -cjk (-client-libs) -cracklib -debug -experimental -jemalloc -libressl -numa -profiling (-selinux) -static -static-libs -systemtap -tcmalloc -test -yassl" 47876 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] mail-mta/postfix-3.3.1-r1::gentoo  USE="berkdb eai hardened mysql pam sasl ssl -cdb -dovecot-sasl -ldap -ldap-bind -libressl -lmdb -mbox -memcached -nis -postgres (-selinux) -sqlite" 4318 KiB

I also tried to disable SSL at my.cnf [client] section, but that didn't seem to change the error:

Code:
ssl-mode=DISABLED

Thanks!
hanji
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I added 'skip_ssl' to my.cnf, and now I don't get the SSL error, but postfix is still complaining.

I enabled sql logging, and now seeing connections, but no queries with postfix. You're getting farther with the sql errors. Did you try setting sql_mode to blank in my.cnf? You might be dealing with 'strict' mode.

Code:
sql_mode=''

hanji
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the table name virtual. It's a reserved word so it should have backtick `virtual`. Looking at how to make this happen without changing the tablename. Not sure what else is referencing that, so don't want to change the table (for now).

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/keywords.html

hanji
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.. I think I got it. It's working for me now.

Edit: /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf

Change:
Code:
table        = virtual

To:
Code:
table        = `virtual`

Then reload

Code:
postfix reload

Thanks!
hanji
Shmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hanji!

Adding the back-tics to mysql-virtual.cf did the job and everything is now working fine.
Duncan Mac Leod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! :)
Hupf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanj wrote:
I think it's the table name virtual. It's a reserved word so it should have backtick `virtual`. Looking at how to make this happen without changing the tablename. Not sure what else is referencing that, so don't want to change the table (for now).

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/keywords.html

hanji

Now that I know what to look for, I find your post... So for future googlers, I'll include the symptoms that would show for me in this thread.
  • outgoing and incoming mails are immediately bounced as undeliverable
  • the mail.info / mail.log would contain entries of the form:
    Code:
    postfix/smtpd[ ]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from  : 451 4.3.0 < >: Temporary lookup failure;

• with increased verbosity (master.cf smtp service command + args set to smptd -v), the mail.info also contains
    Code:
    Dec  4 03:22:50 xxx postfix/smtpd[12927]: dict_mysql: successful connection to host unix:/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    Dec  4 03:22:50 xxx postfix/smtpd[12927]: maps_find: virtual_alias_maps: xxx@xxx.de: search aborted
    Dec  4 03:22:50 xxx postfix/smtpd[12927]: mail_addr_find: xxx@xxx.de -> (try again)

• mysqld.err would contain entries like
    Code:
    [Note] Aborted connection  to db: ' ' user: ' ' host: 'localhost' (Got an error reading communication packets)

The guide that I followed back in the day, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Virtual_Mail_Server/Postfix_to_Database#MySQL_2 was updated on 2018-11-21 in light of this issue, but the change with the quote characters in only one of the config files seems easy to miss.
An alternative solution (the one I implemented) would be to use a non-reserved table name altogether (RENAME TABLE 'virtual' virtualfoo; or RENAME TABLE dbname.virtual virtualfoo).

Also, I find it strange that according to https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/keywords.html#keywords-5-7-detailed-V the keyword is only reserved as per MySQL 5.7.6 whereas portage claims it has installed mysql-5.6-r12.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: