Include path used by package makes it fail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Include path used by package makes it fail Reply with quote

This probably been asked before for some package.

I have a package that fails finding a .h file during gcc compile. In this case media-sound/playmidi

It fails to see the gtk/gtk.h. The file is located in /usr/portage/gtk-2/gtk/gtk.h and /usr/portage/gtk-3/gtk/gtk.h. eselect doesn't seem to have a select gtk. Which I guess is ok but I'm looking for a way to tell the system or just the package. I need a way to tell package where it needs to look for the includes. Can I do this with pkg-config or something similar?

I might have missed it totally and any howto would be nice here or reference.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For supporting packages that recommend an incomplete path, they are supposed to ship, and in the case of gtk+, they do ship, a pkg-config file. The consuming package should use pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 to get the flags required to find this directory. This should be done automatically by the playmidi build system. No action from you is required. If action by you is required, then that is a bug in the playmidi build.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so what do I need to send it as a bug report. I'll post it here, but might not be enough (I got 3 output files: build.log, enviroment and options). Not sure "Documentation" is the right place anymore. Might have thought it was a question of having portage explained. Since that doesnt seem to be the case anymore, do I need to post this elsewhere. The package is media-sound/playmidi. I will try compiling it from the distfile source files. Recently had you help with e-uae. Maybe I'll post a report on that one too, but already think I posted the creator and problem isn't local to package in portage as it might be with playmidi, so might leave it for now.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread moved to Portage & Programming, since this is a question about a build failure in a package that is in the main tree.

For a bug report, start by providing the full build log showing the failure, and a configure log, if it generates one. Environment is probably not important here.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mid files to play with wildmidi. I think MIDIs are still around. It is still close to what you can read as nodes on a paper, but memory isn't as precious as it used to be. (MIDI files are insanely small compared to mp3s, but not a recording).
Tried to compile playmidi in userspace, but it resulted in a chain of missing stuff which lead me to believe the playmidi isn't maintained in general. For others I would suggest the wildmidi package together with qsynth and timidity (timidity is easier to set up than fluidsynth and seem to work out of the box). I had some mid files around and thought a player would be nice.

I guess question now is if the playmidi package should be removed or the problem should be fixed as it seems to run deep.
I used to have an early version running (ver 1.0 I think on Amiga, but it ran).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: