Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Darktable -- best possible experience -- how?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Darktable -- best possible experience -- how? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

After a long hiatus (mostly for time and work reasons) I'm back on Gentoo and my gentoo-fu is a bit rusty. I'll be doing a series of posts in order to regain my familiarity with Gentoo, starting with this one:

How to get the best of Darktable with Gentoo USE flags?

I don't want to blindly enable all available USE flags, I just want a smooth usability without interruptions. For example, last time I used Darktable in Gentoo, I ended with some red boxes here and there in the main interface -- something that didn't happen with other distributions. While now it works pretty well, I'd like to anticipate to any possible pitfall I could have ahead of me. (I should have stated by now that, as an photography enthusiast and a IT architect focused on *NIX, I prefer Darktable to Lightroom.)

Enough chit-chat, straight to the point:

First of all, I've got a working Plasma desktop with some minor annoyances (more on that later) on a Core I5 generic ultrabook.

Info about my device:

emerge --info | lspci | usb-devices

How I've got my Darktable right now:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-gfx/darktable-2.4.3::gentoo  USE="cups geolocation gphoto2 jpeg2k kwallet nls openmp webp -colord -doc -flickr -gnome-keyring -graphicsmagick -opencl -openexr -pax_kernel" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse3" L10N="-ca -cs -da -de -es -fr -he -hu -it -ja -nl -pl -ru -sk -sl -sv -uk" 0 KiB

[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.5.16:0/6::gentoo  USE="exif jpeg nls -doc -examples -gd -serial" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CAMERAS="adc65 agfa_cl20 aox ax203 barbie canon casio_qv clicksmart310 digigr8 digita dimagev dimera3500 directory enigma13 fuji gsmart300 hp215 iclick jamcam jd11 jl2005a jl2005c kodak_dc120 kodak_dc210 kodak_dc240 kodak_dc3200 kodak_ez200 konica konica_qm150 largan lg_gsm mars mustek panasonic_coolshot panasonic_dc1000 panasonic_dc1580 panasonic_l859 pccam300 pccam600 pentax polaroid_pdc320 polaroid_pdc640 polaroid_pdc700 ptp2 ricoh ricoh_g3 samsung sierra sipix_blink2 sipix_web2 smal sonix sony_dscf1 sony_dscf55 soundvision spca50x sq905 st2205 stv0674 stv0680 sx330z topfield toshiba_pdrm11 tp6801" 0 KiB

Thanks in advance!

Adopt an unanswered post.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually default use flags are a good starting point and rarely I need to enable somethings else.
Enable and disable use flags is a personal decision and you can check detail with euse -i <use_flag_name> command

Quote:
For example, last time I used Darktable in Gentoo, I ended with some red boxes here and there in the main interface

This seems a bug not a use flag problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: