[SOLVED] 4K Screen Lagging
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] 4K Screen Lagging Reply with quote

So, I got myself this 4K screen for my laptop(s):
- Gentoo 4.18.8 RoG gaming laptop with an i7 8GB RAM and an NVidia GTX 960M (integrated HD graphics 530 set to 256MB RAM). It has a MiniDP port and a HDMI port.
- Ubuntu 16.0 on Thinkpad Ultrabook with i5, 4GB ram and an integrated Broadwell-U graphics (set to 256MB RAM). It only has a MiniDP port, though I have an adapter MiniDP->DP.
- The screen supports 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz and has DP ports (the large ones) and HDMI ports.
- I do have an adapter from MiniDP to HDMI (not to DP)

I've tried the following wirings:
- RoG+HDMI
- RoG+MiniDP+HDMI
- Thinkpad+MiniDP+HDMI

I have the following problems:
- In none of the combinations, I get the screen recognized with 3840x2160 at 60Hz, but only at 30Hz instead.
- RoG+MiniDP+HDMI shows not signal. I'm guessing that the MiniDP connects only to the NVidia Card, and I'm using the Integrated Intel card instead.
- Finally, the Integrated Card of both laptops is rather similar (or is it?). Still, the RoG is *much* laggier than the ThinkPad, and is practically unusable. The ThinkPad, which has a much weaker configuration and a less optimized OS runs okay-ish (apart form the 30Hz instead of 60Hz).

Do you guys have experience with this kind of screen? What could those problems be related to? Could it be that 60Hz is only supported by DP and not by HDMI or something like that? Would it be worthy to try to ditch the integrated card and stay just with the NVidia one for the RoG laptop?

Last edited by Holysword on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword,

mDP and DP both support 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz. All that changes is is the connector on the end of the cable.
HDMI might if its the right version of HDMI. I have a 4k display too, it has an assortment of inputs but only the DP inputs support 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz.

Your HDMI may not support 3840x2160 @ 60Hz and if it does the source, cable and display need to offer support too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Holysword,

mDP and DP both support 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz. All that changes is is the connector on the end of the cable.
HDMI might if its the right version of HDMI. I have a 4k display too, it has an assortment of inputs but only the DP inputs support 3840x2160 resolution at 60Hz.

Your HDMI may not support 3840x2160 @ 60Hz and if it does the source, cable and display need to offer support too.

Thank you for your reply.
That explains the lack of 60Hz in xrandr, but what about the lower performance in a higher end laptop? Is it possible that my mDP port is only available for a single GPU an not for both of them?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword,

Code:
- RoG+HDMI
- RoG+MiniDP+HDMI

HDMI is involved. It may not support 3840x2160@60Hz. Do you have HDMI 2.x or only HDMI 1.x ?
The cables are the same, the connectors are the same. HDMI 1.4 can only provide 3840x2160@30Hz.

My 4k display only provides HDMI 1.4 inputs. That OK for using it as 4x 1920x1080 displays.
I must use the DP input for 3840x2160@60Hz

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Holysword,

Code:
- RoG+HDMI
- RoG+MiniDP+HDMI

HDMI is involved. It may not support 3840x2160@60Hz. Do you have HDMI 2.x or only HDMI 1.x ?
The cables are the same, the connectors are the same. HDMI 1.4 can only provide 3840x2160@30Hz.

My 4k display only provides HDMI 1.4 inputs. That OK for using it as 4x 1920x1080 displays.
I must use the DP input for 3840x2160@60Hz

I mean, the performance degradation in comparison with the other laptop. The ThinkPad has a lower configuration, but still behaves faster (with the same cable). Both laptops reach only 30Hz.

Apparently, however, I cannot hope to ever run 60Hz on the RoG laptop:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43432562/identifying-whether-a-laptop-has-hdmi-2-0-or-1-4
if I understood it correctly. Anyway, how can I check if HDMI2.x is supported at all?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword,

Can you use the mDP output to connect to your monitor without going through a HDMI port?
mDP to mDP or mDP to DP will be good.

Other that trying to get 4k @60Hz, I don't know of a way to identify HDMI 2.x.

Are you sure the problem is with the laptops and not the display?

What is the make and model of the display?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hdmi cable itself has to be for 2.1 spec for 120hz, 1.4 will work with 30hz. 2.0 spec might work for 60hz, but not sure, probably depends on manufacturer.
And the adapter from dp/mdp to hdmi must output for the 60hz hdmi portion.

And as Neddy said, the tv/monitor must be able to run at that.

Edit to add: if the cable is labeled as high speed hdmi then it should work at 4k@60hz
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the port the cable's plugged into allows 4k60, on both ends.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Holysword,

Can you use the mDP output to connect to your monitor without going through a HDMI port?
mDP to mDP or mDP to DP will be good.

Not yet, but I've ordered a cable. I'll test it soon enough. Regardless, the Adapter+HDMI connection worked with the Thinkpad Laptop, but not with the RoG Laptop, so I'm assuming that the cable won't work for the RoG either.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Other that trying to get 4k @60Hz, I don't know of a way to identify HDMI 2.x.

Are you sure the problem is with the laptops and not the display?

What is the make and model of the display?

The display says "3840x2160 @ 60Hz" in its specifications:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.PX1AA.003
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
The hdmi cable itself has to be for 2.1 spec for 120hz, 1.4 will work with 30hz. 2.0 spec might work for 60hz, but not sure, probably depends on manufacturer.
And the adapter from dp/mdp to hdmi must output for the 60hz hdmi portion.

And as Neddy said, the tv/monitor must be able to run at that.

Edit to add: if the cable is labeled as high speed hdmi then it should work at 4k@60hz

Ant P. wrote:
Make sure the port the cable's plugged into allows 4k60, on both ends.

Yes, the cable I've ordered (but didn't arrive yet, I will post the tests as soon as I get it) is specified as mDP->DP with support to 4k@60 (golden plated, tested, 2 years warranty and very friendly customer support!!! xD)
As for the rest, I do not have the slightest clue on how to ensure that my PC's socket supports 60Hz.

These are the specifications of the RoG laptop:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL752VW/specifications/

Last edited by Holysword on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword,

The user manual only says HDMI too.

If the cable and adaptor worked once, that confirms that the cable, adapter and display are not the problem.
That only leaves the RoG laptop.

The adaptor is a purely mechanical device, the HDMI 2 and DP signals being identical electrically.
Its perfectly possible that the cable and /or adaptor could mangle the signal but its a digital signal, so it either works or it doesn't.
There is no in between where it works badly.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Holysword,

The user manual only says HDMI too.

If the cable and adaptor worked once, that confirms that the cable, adapter and display are not the problem.
That only leaves the RoG laptop.

The adaptor is a purely mechanical device, the HDMI 2 and DP signals being identical electrically.
Its perfectly possible that the cable and /or adaptor could mangle the signal but its a digital signal, so it either works or it doesn't.
There is no in between where it works badly.

Sorry, I think I caused a confusion here. I don't have any mDP->DP cable yet. I ordered one, which is tagged as supporting 4k@60Hz (I edited my previous post to clarify that). The only way I can test right now is with HDMI cables, with or without an mDP->HDMI adapter. The said mDP->HDMI adapter works only for the ThinkPad Laptop, but not for the RoG, so I'm guessing that the RoG's mDP port is borked, or it is bound to the NVidia card instead of the Integrated Intel GPU.

I may or may not have neglected supporting something in kernel for the RoG. Is there anything in specific I should look for?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword,

Your graphic card(s) either support 4k@60Hz or they don't.

Your /var/log/Xorg.0.log from both systems would be interesting. One should show that 4k@60Hz works, the other not.
The log will show what gets auto detected, what's in use and so on.

Somehow, I doubt that the display is reporting different EDID data to both systems. That puts the problem firmly with the laptop.

Both /var/log/Xorg.0.log to pastebins please.

Its not a kernel thing.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Holysword,

Your graphic card(s) either support 4k@60Hz or they don't.

Your /var/log/Xorg.0.log from both systems would be interesting. One should show that 4k@60Hz works, the other not.
The log will show what gets auto detected, what's in use and so on.

Somehow, I doubt that the display is reporting different EDID data to both systems. That puts the problem firmly with the laptop.

Both /var/log/Xorg.0.log to pastebins please.

Its not a kernel thing.

Thank you for your reply.
I'll do that as soon as I get both laptops and the screen again (in 1 or 2 nights) but I doubt that the EDID will show 4k@60Hz to any laptop. No laptop was able to recognize this resolution. Both laptops accepted 4k@30Hz. Even if both laptops had the same resolution, one of them was muuuuuuch slower than the other. This thread is mostly about the fact that the slowest laptop has a better hardware (the RoG) and Gentoo Linux installed on it, whereas the "faster" laptop is a humble ThinkPad with an out-of-the-box Ubuntu installation in it, which doesn't make much sense in my mind.

Maybe this will all solve itself with the mDP->DP cable. I'll see.

EDIT#1: the cable mDP->DP solved all of the problems. Both laptops see the 4k@60HZ resolution and the lag is gone everywhere. Why exactly one laptop suffered from a much worse lag than the other under 30Hz, will remain a mystery to me.

Marking as solved!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: