Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Saudi Arabia, What Options?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Saudi Arabia, What Options? Reply with quote

I've always said Iran is a human rights paradise compared to Saudi Arabia. The royal House started extremist wahhabism and members of the House supported the 9/11 attacks. The new crown prince was supposed to be a reformer, yet the place is a still in a cultural and moral dark age, even by Mideast standards as evidenced by the recent murder of the Washington Post reporter.

So what, if anything should "the West" do? The country is quickly running out of friends, so the old threat of an OPEC oil embargo might not carry as much weight as what it used to.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 749
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun them, like Becky. No one likes Becky that's why Becky has no friends.*


*High school politics seem to be how the world actually works.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5468
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolation via ignoring isn't enough. Start financially (predominantly via military aid) Yemen and Qatar. Saudi then have a nasty option of either carry on attacking and thus attack "the west" or start reigning in what they are doing in the region

Pakistan an Saudi are two countries that have been given a free pass for the last 30years with regards to terrorism ... remember it was pakistan that sold nuclear technology to SA,Libya, Iraq, NK
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Middle East. It's a shitfest. Yes, Saudi Arabia has an abysmal civil rights record. But Iran is practically a continual sponsor of terror.

Israel seems to be pretty civilized, along with the UAE and Jordan. Aside from them, I just wouldn't expect much from the area.
_________________
Gun: Glock 19 Gen 4
Sights: XS DXT Big Dot
Holster: StealthGear VentCore IWB
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomb them.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
It's the Middle East. It's a shitfest. Yes, Saudi Arabia has an abysmal civil rights record. But Iran is practically a continual sponsor of terror.

Israel seems to be pretty civilized, along with the UAE and Jordan. Aside from them, I just wouldn't expect much from the area.


Actually Iran isn't what you think it is. Compared to Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, Iran has a process resembling democracy. And due to their Shia faith, they are not even seen as fellow Muslim by the rest of Arabic or Islamic world.

The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.

That and the fact that they took over the US Embassy and kept the staff hostage for over a year, they were responsible for killing over 200 Marine peacekeepers in Beirut, plus "Death to America" is their National Motto. I wouldn't exactly call it paranoia.

Plus, I think W has an idea of the Iranians, when one considers they were actively killing his fellow Marines in Iraq.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell


Last edited by Old School on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 749
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
notageek wrote:
The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.

That and the fact that they took over the US Embassy and kept the staff hostage for over a year, they were responsible for killing over 200 Marine peacekeepers in Beirut, plus "Death to America" is their National Motto. I wouldn't exactly call it paranoia.


Pesky details using reality. You should know better.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:
notageek wrote:
The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.

That and the fact that they took over the US Embassy and kept the staff hostage for over a year, they were responsible for killing over 200 Marine peacekeepers in Beirut, plus "Death to America" is their National Motto. I wouldn't exactly call it paranoia.


Pesky details using reality. You should know better.

Logic is a failing of mine. :wink:
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 749
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Logic is a failing of mine. :wink:


Brother from another mother.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
notageek wrote:
The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.

That and the fact that they took over the US Embassy and kept the staff hostage for over a year, they were responsible for killing over 200 Marine peacekeepers in Beirut, plus "Death to America" is their National Motto. I wouldn't exactly call it paranoia.

Plus, I think W has an idea of the Iranians, when one considers they were actively killing his fellow Marines in Iraq.
I wonder what Sunni Triangle refers to in Iraq? Surely they must be Iranians in Iraq.

Marine peacekeepers is an oxymoron. Think about it. Sending your shock-troops to maintain peace is so very logical. The only purpose that marine peacekeepers serve is when they get their asses kicked by third-world trained troops, one can claim them to be peace keepers.

US Embassy hostage taking, in Iran vs Sept 11, in the US, where thousands were killed. In 2001. Plus countless number of RoP attacks worldwide in the name of Sunni Islamic faith.

Yeah, clear evidence of Shia Iran sponsoring terror world-wide. /sarcasm
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Old School wrote:
notageek wrote:
The paranoia about Iran in the US is largely because it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.

That and the fact that they took over the US Embassy and kept the staff hostage for over a year, they were responsible for killing over 200 Marine peacekeepers in Beirut, plus "Death to America" is their National Motto. I wouldn't exactly call it paranoia.

Plus, I think W has an idea of the Iranians, when one considers they were actively killing his fellow Marines in Iraq.
I wonder what Sunni Triangle refers to in Iraq? Surely they must be Iranians in Iraq.

Marine peacekeepers is an oxymoron. Think about it. Sending your shock-troops to maintain peace is so very logical. The only purpose that marine peacekeepers serve is when they get their asses kicked by third-world trained troops, one can claim them to be peace keepers.

US Embassy hostage taking, in Iran vs Sept 11, in the US, where thousands were killed. In 2001. Plus countless number of RoP attacks worldwide in the name of Sunni Islamic faith.

Yeah, clear evidence of Shia Iran sponsoring terror world-wide. /sarcasm
Without getting into every point, i would recommend acquainting yourself with the 1982 Beirut evacuation of the PLO. Those Marines were the only thing between a pissed off Israeli army and Yasser Arafat and his PLO buddies. Ever hear of the Buenos Aires bombing of the Argentine-Israeli Association Building? Argentina is not very close to Iran.

You say we are paranoid about Iran, and you are basically full of BS. We have plenty of reasons for mutual distrust.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One happened on 1982 and the other happened in 1994. Very current.

Also what has Israel got to do with the US? So a bunch of Jews got fried, was it an attack on the US?

Actually I should amend my previous statement, the paranoia is sponsored by Saudi money and Israeli influence. International Jewry in 2018.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could tell them that they've been very naughty and are going to be sent to bed without supper.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Also what has Israel got to do with the US? So a bunch of Jews got fried, was it an attack on the US?


Just to show the "worldwide" aspect of Iranian terrorism that you were not aware of. Geographically, Argentina is not very close to Iran.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Argentina is not very close to Iran.


It was at one point in time.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
We could tell them that they've been very naughty and are going to be sent to bed without supper.

A bit on the harsh side, don't you think?
_________________
Gun: Glock 19 Gen 4
Sights: XS DXT Big Dot
Holster: StealthGear VentCore IWB
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 468
Location: The Maldives

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continental drifts are a bitch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
We could tell them that they've been very naughty and are going to be sent to bed without supper.

A bit on the harsh side, don't you think?


That's not harsh, botty smacking is the next step.
_________________
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5468
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
We could tell them that they've been very naughty and are going to be sent to bed without supper.

A bit on the harsh side, don't you think?


That's not harsh, botty smacking is the next step.
Well washing their mouth out with soap for the porkies they have been saying over this journalist
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saudi Arabia, What Options? Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
The new crown prince was supposed to be a reformer
Is he not reforming, or is it just that he's not reforming in a way you anticipated / expected / hoped?

Old School wrote:
the recent murder of the Washington Post reporter.

So what, if anything should "the West" do? The country is quickly running out of friends, so the old threat of an OPEC oil embargo might not carry as much weight as what it used to.
Here's the thing I don't get. Given the atrocities in the region, some which actually affected US citizens, why does the death of one contributor to the Compost suddenly matter to the point of panic. Personally I'm more concerned with Turkey. They seemed to have released Brunson awfully suddenly. Oct 12th? And I believe the reporter went missing on the 2nd? Given that Brunson was under house arrest, it seems likely that Turkey was eventually going to release him, but the timing is questionable. Unless we're prepared to abandon the region, we need to look out for our long term interests.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Saudi Arabia, What Options? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
why does the death of one contributor to the Compost suddenly matter to the point of panic.

The media is raising a big stink because he was one of them.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was just an OpEd critic of the crown. But I'm skeptical that's all it is, given their recent history of constant opportunistic outrage.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the way he was killed has something to do with it?
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum