Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

Is Google Safe Browsing broken in the latest Firefox packages?
I enabled the function, but when I got to https://testsafebrowsing.appspot.com/ I get no alert.

Did I do something wrong?

Edit: same problem with www-client/chromium-69.0.3497.100. This only works with www-client/google-chrome-70.0.3538.67 or www-client/firefox-bin-62.0.3.
i.e. Safe Browsing works with the binary packages, but not with the source packages.

Last edited by vm666 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

vm666 wrote:
Is Google Safe Browsing broken in the latest Firefox packages?
I enabled the function, but when I got to https://testsafebrowsing.appspot.com/ I get no alert.

Did I do something wrong?

I get plenty : https://i.imgur.com/EfH2bLR.png

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-62.0.3

vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

Muso wrote:

You have to click on the links to check every alert.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

vm666 wrote:
Muso wrote:

You have to click on the links to check every alert.

All links lead to examples.
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
All links lead to examples.

Do you have any alert? Safe browsing should block these pages.
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Safe Browsing & www-client/firefox-62.0.3 Reply with quote

Another test page:
https://www.google.com/tools/firefox/safebrowsing/phish-o-rama.html
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vm666,

I see the same behaviour as you. Google Safe Browsing is not working in Firefox 62.0.3 in my Gentoo installation.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
vm666,

I see the same behaviour as you. Google Safe Browsing is not working in Firefox 62.0.3 in my Gentoo installation.

I did another test.
Safe Browsing works with firefox-bin too. Said in another way, Safe Browsing works with the binary packages but appears to be disabled with Chromium or Firefox recompiled from the source packages.
Is this a licence problem?
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be a problem with GOOGLE_API_KEY?

If yes, where and how do I set this?
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I open bugs for Firefox and Chromium?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vm666,

Have a look at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Safe_Browsing

If you enter about:config in the Firefox address bar then safebrowsing in the search bar, you will see a list of Preferences that you can alter. Compare the Preferences in www-client/firefox-bin with the Preferences in www-client/firefox and you will likely find that some of the Safe Browsing preferences have been disabled in www-client/firefox. You could enable them to see if the behaviour becomes the same as with www-client/google-chrome and www-client/firefox-bin.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
If you enter about:config in the Firefox address bar then safebrowsing in the search bar, you will see a list of Preferences that you can alter. Compare the Preferences in www-client/firefox-bin with the Preferences in www-client/firefox

I already did that, I did not notice any difference. is there any way to export all this into text files to be able to run a diff on them?

Quote:
and you will likely find that some of the Safe Browsing preferences have been disabled in www-client/firefox.

No. Everything is enabled.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vm666 wrote:
is there any way to export all this into text files to be able to run a diff on them?

Not that I'm aware of. But I believe you can find if any have been changed from the defaults by using the following command:

Code:
$ grep safebrowsing ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default*/prefs.js

Fitzcarraldo's blog
vm666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
vm666 wrote:
is there any way to export all this into text files to be able to run a diff on them?

Not that I'm aware of. But I believe you can find if any have been changed from the defaults by using the following command:

Code:
$ grep safebrowsing ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default*/prefs.js

Actually, when I used the same profile first with firefox and then with firefox-bin, I got the same issue: safebrowsing KO with firefox, OK with the binary package. My hypothesis about the API Key is probably wrong (the SafeBrowsing blacklist was correctly downloaded and could be used by firefox-bin) .

I'm recompiling the source package with different USE flags...
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the www-client/firefox-62.0.3 ebuild and it appears to be missing the mozconfig option for Safe Browsing. I think the ebuild would need a line like the following in order to build Firefox for Safe Browsing:

Code:
mozconfig_annotate "Enable Safe Browsing" --enable-safe-browsing

or:
Code:
mozconfig_use_enable safe-browsing

I could be wrong, though, as I don't know if Mozilla has already included that option in the configuration files for Firefox. Anyway, you could try copying the ebuild and files to a local overlay on your machine, adding the above line to the ebuild, creating a new manifest and merging the package.

EDIT: Well, I tried the above myself, but couldn't get Firefox to build; an error message told me that the configure option is unknown:

Code:
mozbuild.configure.options.InvalidOptionError: Unknown option: --enable-safe-browsing

So I assume --enable-safe-browsing is no longer a valid option for Firefox 62.0.3. Actually, Safe Browsing works in Firefox 62.0.3 on my family's PC running Lubuntu, and about:buildconfig shows me that Firefox in Lubuntu does not have --enable-safe-browsing configured:

Code:
about:buildconfig
Source

Built from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/rev/c9ed11ae5c79df3dcb69075e1c9da0317d1ecb1b
Build platform
target
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Build tools
Compiler    Version    Compiler flags
/usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99    7.3.0    -Wall -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wunreachable-code -Wduplicated-cond -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-error=array-bounds -Wno-error=free-nonheap-object -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wformat-overflow=2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe
/usr/bin/g++    7.3.0    -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wall -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Woverloaded-virtual -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wunreachable-code -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wc++1z-compat -Wduplicated-cond -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-error=array-bounds -Wno-error=free-nonheap-object -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wformat-overflow=2 -fno-sized-deallocation -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe -g -freorder-blocks -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
Configure options

--host=x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-application=browser --enable-update-channel=release MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1 --with-l10n-base=/build/firefox-IVlCbR/firefox-62.0.3+build1/./l10n --with-google-api-keyfile=/build/firefox-IVlCbR/firefox-62.0.3+build1/debian/ga --disable-elf-hack --with-unsigned-addon-scopes=app MAKE=/usr/bin/make --enable-crashreporter --disable-gconf --disable-install-strip --enable-official-branding --enable-startup-notification --disable-updater --prefix=/usr --with-distribution-id=com.ubuntu --with-ua-vendor=Ubuntu

On my main laptop running Gentoo amd64, Firefox 62.0.3 about:buildconfig does not show any --enable-safe-browsing option either, but, unlike Firefox 62.0.3 in Lubuntu, Safe Browsing does not work.

Code:
about:buildconfig
Build platform
target
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Build tools
Compiler    Version    Compiler flags
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -std=gnu99    7.3.0    -Wall -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wunreachable-code -Wduplicated-cond -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-error=array-bounds -Wno-error=free-nonheap-object -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wformat-overflow=2 -march=native -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++    7.3.0    -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wall -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Woverloaded-virtual -Wpointer-arith -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wunreachable-code -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wc++1z-compat -Wduplicated-cond -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-error=array-bounds -Wno-error=free-nonheap-object -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wformat-overflow=2 -fno-sized-deallocation -march=native -pipe -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-lifetime-dse -fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
Configure options

PYTHON3=/usr/bin/python3.6 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-application=browser --disable-tests PKG_CONFIG=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config --enable-optimize=-O2 CC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc LD=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld CXX=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ HOST_CC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc HOST_CXX=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ --disable-debug-symbols --enable-linker=bfd --enable-jack --enable-system-ffi --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3 --with-google-api-keyfile=/var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-62.0.3/work/firefox-62.0.3/google-api-key MAKE=/usr/bin/gmake XARGS=/usr/bin/xargs --disable-crashreporter --enable-dbus --enable-extensions=default --disable-gconf --disable-install-strip --enable-necko-wifi --enable-official-branding --enable-pie --enable-startup-notification --disable-strip --enable-system-pixman --disable-system-sqlite --disable-updater --libdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --with-intl-api --with-nspr-prefix=/usr --with-nss-prefix=/usr --with-system-bz2 --without-system-icu --without-system-jpeg --without-system-libvpx --with-system-nspr --with-system-nss --with-system-png --with-system-zlib --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64

So I have run out of ideas.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that Firefox 62.0.3 in Lubuntu -- where Safe Browsing works -- has the following under Firefox's 'Menu' > 'Preferences' > 'Privacy & Security':

Quote:
Firefox Data Collection and Use

We strive to provide you with choices and collect only what we need to provide and improve
Firefox for everyone. We always ask permission before receiving personal information.
Privacy Notice
Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla Learn More
   Allow Firefox to install and run studies View Firefox studies
Allow Firefox to send backlogged crash reports on your behalf

whereas Firefox 62.0.3 in Gentoo has the following:

Quote:

We strive to provide you with choices and collect only what we need to provide and improve
Firefox for everyone. We always ask permission before receiving personal information.
Privacy Notice
Data reporting is disabled for this build configuration

(The first option is greyed out.)

So I assume those options have been patched out by Gentoo developers. However, I have looked at the firefox-62.0.3 ebuild and the associated patch files:

Code:
$ grep -i patch /usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-62.0.3.ebuild
# Patch version
PATCH="${PN}-62.0-patches-01"
PATCH_URIS=( https://dev.gentoo.org/~{anarchy,axs,polynomial-c}/mozilla/patchsets/${PATCH}.tar.xz )
        ${PATCH_URIS[@]}"
        eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-60.0-blessings-TERM.patch # 654316
        eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-60.0-do-not-force-lld.patch
        eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-60.0-sandbox-lto.patch # 666580
        eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-60.0-missing-errno_h-in-SandboxOpenedFiles_cpp.patch
        # Allow user to apply any additional patches without modifing ebuild
$

Code:
$ ls /usr/portage/www-client/firefox/files/
bug_1461221.patch                    firefox-60.0-do-not-force-lld.patch                           firefox-60.0-sandbox-lto.patch            gentoo-default-prefs.js-2
firefox-52.9.0-blessings-TERM.patch  firefox-60.0-missing-errno_h-in-SandboxOpenedFiles_cpp.patch  firefox-60.0-update-cc-to-honor-CC.patch  gentoo-hwaccel-prefs.js-1
firefox-60.0-blessings-TERM.patch    firefox-60.0-rust-1.29-comp.patch                             gentoo-default-prefs.js-1                 icon
$

and I cannot see which variables and/or options and/or Preferences (gentoo-default-prefs.js-{1,2,3}) are used to disable Safe Browsing.

The Gentoo Wiki article on Firefox still mentions an old patch for Firefox 49.0 containing the variable MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING. However, I could not find MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING in the Firefox 62.0.3 source code, but a variable MOZ_SAFEBROWSING is mentioned in the Firefox 62.0.3 source code:

Code:
$ grep -r MOZ_SAFE-BROWSING firefox-62.0.3/*
$ grep -r MOZ_SAFEBROWSING firefox-62.0.3/*
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/moz.build:    DEFINES['MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES'] = True
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/ProtocolParser.cpp:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/ProtocolParser.h:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/ProtocolParser.h:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/nsUrlClassifierDBService.h:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/Classifier.cpp:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/Classifier.cpp:#endif // MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/nsUrlClassifierDBService.cpp:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/nsUrlClassifierDBService.cpp:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/tests/gtest/moz.build:# Required to have the same MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/tests/gtest/moz.build:    DEFINES['MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES'] = True
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/Classifier.h:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
firefox-62.0.3/toolkit/components/url-classifier/Classifier.h:#ifdef MOZ_SAFEBROWSING_DUMP_FAILED_UPDATES
$

So I created a patch file firefox-62.0.3-safe-browsing.patch for an ebuild firefox-62.0.3-r1.ebuild in my local overlay. I set both MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING and MOZ_SAFEBROWSING in order to try and hit the correct variable required to enable Google Safe Browsing:

Code:
$ diff /usr/local/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-62.0.3-r1.ebuild /usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-62.0.3.ebuild
191d190
<       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-62.0.3-safe-browsing.patch
$ cat /usr/local/portage/www-client/firefox/files/firefox-62.0.3-safe-browsing.patch
diff -crB a/browser/confvars.sh b/browser/confvars.sh
*** a/browser/confvars.sh       2018-10-01 19:35:17.000000000 +0100
--- b/browser/confvars.sh       2018-10-21 23:07:54.233017628 +0100
*** 37,42 ****
--- 37,45 ----
  # Enable building ./signmar and running libmar signature tests
  MOZ_ENABLE_SIGNMAR=1

+ MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING=1
+ MOZ_SAFEBROWSING=1
+
  MOZ_APP_VERSION=$FIREFOX_VERSION
  MOZ_APP_VERSION_DISPLAY=$FIREFOX_VERSION_DISPLAY
  # MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME will be set by branding/configure.sh
$

I generated a manifest and merged firefox-62.0.3-r1::local_overlay. But it made no difference.

So then I created a patch file firefox-62.0.3-safe-browsing-v2.patch for an ebuild firefox-62.0.3-r2.ebuild in my local overlay. I set MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING, MOZ_SAFEBROWSING, MOZ_DATA_REPORTING, MOZ_TELEMETRY_REPORTING, MOZ_CRASHREPORTER and MOZ_SERVICES_HEALTHREPORT in order to try and hit the correct variable required to enable Google Safe Browsing:

Code:
$ diff /usr/local/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-62.0.3-r2.ebuild /usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-62.0.3.ebuild191d190
<       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-62.0.3-safe-browsing-v2.patch
$ cat /usr/local/portage/www-client/firefox/files/firefox-62.0.3-safe-browsing-v2.patch
diff -crB a/browser/confvars.sh b/browser/confvars.sh
*** firefox-62.0.3/browser/confvars.sh  2018-10-01 19:35:17.000000000 +0100
--- firefox-62.0.3-r2/browser/confvars.sh       2018-10-22 15:43:17.077257308 +0100
*** 69,71 ****
--- 69,78 ----

# Include the DevTools client, not just the server (which is the default)
  MOZ_DEVTOOLS=all
+
+ MOZ_SAFE_BROWSING=1
+ MOZ_SAFEBROWSING=1
+ MOZ_DATA_REPORTING=1
+ MOZ_TELEMETRY_REPORTING=1
+ MOZ_CRASHREPORTER=1
+ MOZ_SERVICES_HEALTHREPORT=1
$

I generated a manifest and merged firefox-62.0.3-r2::local_overlay. That changed the Firefox menu, which now shows:

Quote:

Privacy Notice

('Allow Firefox to send backlogged crash reports on your behalf' is not shown, though.)

I also used about:config to enable any disabled telemetry preferences. But the end result was the same, i.e. Safe Browsing does not work. Really annoying!

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: