Raid array needing resync at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Raid array needing resync at boot Reply with quote

I've had some odd issues with my RAID array recently. For example, today, after a hasty reboot (i.e. I didn't check if any other ttys were logged in) the system dragged while it did an mdadm resync.
Digging about, I wonder if there should be an
Code:
mdadm --wait-clean /dev/md127
included in the shutdown process.

(I should add that I use an initramfs to mount the array.)

This didn't used to be an issue - perhaps I was lucky - but I notice there's been a similar problem (O.K. it seems to be caused by systemd ...) in Ubunto last year.

I tried looking at old versions of OpenRc, which I use, to see if mdadm gets called anywhere, but not obviously (but my limited Git skills mean I might have missed something).

I'm wondering about adding such a command to say stop() in /etc/init.d/root or /etc/init.d/localmount.

Oh, more digging. There seems to be a confirmed but unfixed bug from 2011 covering this. I suspect it's supposed to have been fixed by ensuring /etc/init.d/mdadm shuts down cleanly, but my logs show that did happen and I still got an mdadm resync.

I guess I could convert to systemd and use their hack to find some dangling processes from my initramfs :-)
log_null
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly related to RAID, but services and volumes at all ( openrc ) ... I had an issue related to service (mariadb) which used to depends of a iscsi LUN no matter what configured at service dependency, the volume wasn't ready and mounted before the service. My dirty workaround was to create a service script ( running after multipath and before mariadb) just to wait a few seconds .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: