Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
I'm hardly one to call somebody a luddite. I'm still trying to figure grub out. I've been using Lilo for decades and only a year or three back started using grub. But I still don't know what to do when the system won't boot and I get a grub shell.
Use REFInd ;)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to say "boot from EFI directly" here, because less code usually means less bugs, but I've had enough experience of that to know better. REFInd is going to be a better engineered bootloader than 99% of UEFI implementations out there.
Goverp
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming late to the party, I'll second the vote for rEFInd. On first reading, it seems complicated, and it has one of those installation scripts that scares the sh*t out of me - trying too hard to automate one-off actions better done by hand - so I installed it the hard way. Having done that, it just sits there working.

Now it's installed, it finds the latest kernel in my boot directory, so there's no need to fiddle with configuration files on each change/upgrade. Haven't needed to touch it in nearly a year.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
1clue wrote:
I'm hardly one to call somebody a luddite. I'm still trying to figure grub out. I've been using Lilo for decades and only a year or three back started using grub. But I still don't know what to do when the system won't boot and I get a grub shell.
Use REFInd ;)

I already pretty much came to that conclusion. The next EFI-capable hardware I install will use rEFInd.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
I already pretty much came to that conclusion. The next EFI-capable hardware I install will use rEFInd.
Cool :-)
Although personally, I'd just get rid of GRUB if it's GRUB2 as that is a bloated, inept pig IME. (And I really tried with that thing.)

Amazing how easily nubs can come in and fubar verson 2.0 of just about any FLOSS project.

That would never happen in the commercial software world, ofc. ;-)

Still, if it works and boots, who cares, right?
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
1clue wrote:
Cool :-)
Although personally, I'd just get rid of GRUB if it's GRUB2 as that is a bloated, inept pig IME. (And I really tried with that thing.)

Amazing how easily nubs can come in and fubar verson 2.0 of just about any FLOSS project.

That would never happen in the commercial software world, ofc. ;-)

Still, if it works and boots, who cares, right?

That last bit is the key thing right now. It works.

Lilo was fantastic. It was easy to understand, it always worked and you had a chance of actually booting if something happened during kernel boot. I have NEVER managed to boot once I get into the interactive grub command shell, it's always from system rescue cd and a chroot.

But it works right now, and IMO it's not worth purging that and installing rEFInd, especially when I have to learn a whole new boot loader.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: