Switching to UEFI; appending Win10
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Switching to UEFI; appending Win10 Reply with quote

I wish to switch a 1Tb 2.5" original drive from MBR (Win10 + Gentoo) to UEFI (Win10 + Gentoo),
Don't have spare 1Tb drive for backup.
Have a 320 Gb 2.5" spare drive.

I plan to:

1) install UEFI Win10 on 320 Gb 2.5" spare drive.
2) install commercial UEFI compatible boot manager on 320 Gb 2.5" spare drive (into UEFI partition, AFAIK).
Edit 2.5) resizing of m$ partitions, as it is supported by the commercial boot manager.
3) duplicate single partition gentoo partion from 1Tb 2.5" original drive to 320 Gb 2.5" spare drive.
4) update duplicated gentoo for UEFI boot.
5) deletion of Win10 & gentoo partitions on 1Tb 2.5" original drive.
6) conversion of remaining parititions on 1Tb 2.5" original drive to GPT.
7) duplicate all partitions from spare 320 Gb 2.5" spare drive to 1Tb 2.5" original drive.

Is this general scenari possible, feasable?
Is there any important missing point?

N.B.: I took this path because Win10 UEFI install can't be achieved without current partitions erasure.
I may be wrong though; If true another easier path remains to be discovered.

Thks 4 ur attention

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Haven't dual booted with win10 yet Reply with quote

M$ has always insisted on trashing the drive for its install so you are right to let it have its way with a spare. Usually it was already there anyway because it came with the new laptop or whatever I bought. So I would use partition magic (aka gparted) to shrink it down and then put gentoo in the free space and have it take over the boot management. However I haven't done that since Win7. I hadn't really looked yet to see what sort of crap win10 will stick in the UEFI partition. However you will probably need to go into the bios to disable secure boot to allow something other than windoze to be booted.

I only have one laptop at the moment that has win10 and I've left that one to sit without any trusted files or apps other than some games I play on it that don't play well with wine. I even use a whole separate login account for it (some vietnamese guy named Phuc Yu)
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall Windows does not like playing well with anything else, including older versions and it's self. So, you may have trouble in that the installer gets too "smart" for it's self and sees the old installation and refuse to do install a new copy. Now, I did have luck before where I had Gentoo installed before hand with UEFI working, then installed Windows. In that case, Windows saw the UEFI partition already setup and went ahead and used it automatically. Of course, I still had the expected issue in that I had to go re-setup the UEFI loader, to use my own instead (if you get lucky, you can do that in your BIOS). It didn't remove linux's UEFI loader or anything, just removed it's entry from the UEFI load list.

Either way, if you want Windows on the new drive, I recommend you physically disconnect the cable to the old drive then install Windows with UEFI. Afterwards you can reconnect the cable and Windows will be and fat and happy.
Ralphred
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I recommend you physically disconnect the cable to the old drive then install Windows with UEFI.

Physically sandboxing windows, the best way forward since 1998.

Can I ask what the motivation is to move from bios to uefi?
CaptainBlood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I forget to mention the following steps:

0) Disconnect 1Tb 2.5 original drive and connect 320Gb 2.5" spare drive

2.5) Resizing of m$ partitions, as it is supported by the commercial boot manager.

3) might be complicated as it requires both drives to be connected.
The commercial boot manager is also a partition manager (the two sides of the same coin that explains why i'm using it), so it should help there.

5) Won't be performed with 320Gb 2.5" spare drive on line.
alternatively its win10 sub step could be moved as 2.9) step.

all bios MBR/UEFI fiddlings steps aren't mentionned.

all steps would have a single gard drive connected but 2,9) as a commercial boot/partition manager session only.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving to UEFI as a upgrade challenge & possibly beefing up my laptop security, e.g.malicious attempt to boot on non UEFI media such as usb sticks, CD/DVD...
Geting rid of MBR extended partion is another reason fir the move.

The commercial boot manager I use went UEFI only recently, making such a move possible.

N.B. all other partitions (i.e not migrated to 2.5" 320Gb spare drive are either data partitions or theirs format is unknown to m$ (ext2/4 or linux swap).
Hence I don't expect any conflict with m$.
For the record some of these partitions are xen domu, which boot time could (slightly) benefit from GPT switch.

In its MBR only version the commercial boot manager I use is capable of hiding partions to the selected system, can't tell yet if feature remains with UEFI.

Thks 4 ur atention, interest & support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: