skypeforlinux automatically logs user in, then logs user out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: skypeforlinux automatically logs user in, then logs user out Reply with quote

When i start skypeforlinux, its window opens up in a state that shows me logged in (it shows my contacts). However, within less than a second, it logs me out, and i have to log back in again.

This started happening in the last few versions of skypeforlinux, although unfortunately i do not recall after which one specifically. I am using the latest version, 8.30.0.50.

In previous versions (before this problem appeared), the behavior was the following: The first time i would start skypeforlinux, a gnome-keyring window would pop up asking for the keyring password, and then it would log me in on skypeforlinux. At the end of my skype session i would "Quit" (not "Sign out"), and when i started skypeforlinux again i would be automatically logged in. In the current situation, one weird thing is that a gnome-keyring window never pops up, but skypeforlinux somehow still logs me in momentarily before kicking me out less than a second later!

Since gnome-keyring no longer asks for a password i thought that maybe this is the cause of the problem, but i see that gnome-base/gnome-keyring is still installed on my system. Is there anything else i should check?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try deleting the directory ~/.config/skypeforlinux. Skype for Linux will recreate it.

Code:
rm -rf ~/.config/skypeforlinux

Fitzcarraldo's blog
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it does not work... :?

At least in the past, i think that Skype was using (gnome) keyring to manage passwords. This makes me wonder whether something changed in the meantime (e.g., Skype needing some other password manager that is not installed on my system, or some problem with my gnome keyring, ...)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it still uses GNOME Keyring. I have Skype for Linux Version 8.30.0.50 installed on one machine (KDE), and 8.32.76.21 installed on another machine (also KDE) via a local overlay, and they both require it (when I launch Skype for Linux I still get prompted by GNOME Keyring to enter a password). You could try resetting the GNOME keyring, i.e. deleting all passwords and starting a new keyring:

Code:
rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/Default_keyring.keyring

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem since the last update. And I've removed the ~/.config/skypeforlinux directory before I started the updated version (of course I deleted it after closing the running instance).

The funny thing is, that I don't have the file ~/.local/share/keyrings/Default_keyring.keyring.

I created a binary package of =net-im/skypeforlinux-8.11.0.4 and if I install that older version, then gnome-keyring prompt appears and when I restart skype, it logs me in automatically. Reinstalling back 8.30.0.50 I get the issue as described by orionbelt. With the new version, the gnome-keyring prompt never appears and hence skype logs me out and I have to type my credentials again.

I have =gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.20.1 installed but /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon seems not to be running at all. I see no init script for gnome-keyring. So maybe it doesn't work because it is not running at all? But which process started it? I thought that my login manager (x11-misc/slim) automatically started it.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are either of you using OpenRC+ConsoleKit by any chance? If you are, Skype for Linux 8.30.0.50 and above only work with either OpenRC+elogind or systemd. See the following thread for details: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1086741.html

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am running OpenRC+ConsoleKit and I have previously found that post a few days ago and I installed elogind. /lib64/elogind/elogind is running, otherwise 8.30.0.50 wouldn't start.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as pablo_supertux here: I am using OpenRC+ConsoleKit but i also installed sys-auth/elogind just for skypeforlinux.

And, in my case as well, the contents of ~/.local/share/keyrings/ are somewhat different:

Code:
% ls -gG ~/.local/share/keyrings/
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1    7 Jan 19  2017 default
-rw------- 1 4499 May 14 08:57 Default.keyring
-rw------- 1    0 Jan 19  2017 user.keystore

% cat default

I.e., no Default_keyring.keyring, just Default.keyring, but this is what file "default" points to.

I also tried removing ~/.local/share/keyrings/ entirely, then start skypeforlinux, but gnome-keyring still did not ask for a password like it used to. But, like with pablo_supertux, no gnome-keyring daemon is running:
Code:
 % ps aux|grep keyring
xxxxxx    9409  0.0  0.0  13872   976 pts/8    S+   15:35   0:00 grep --color=auto keyring

So i launched gnome-keyring-daemon (EDIT: simply by typing it in the command line), then restarted skypeforlinux, but still nothing...

In some places i read that this may be a dbus issue, but rc-status shows my dbus up and running.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orionbelt wrote:
Same as pablo_supertux here: I am using OpenRC+ConsoleKit but i also installed sys-auth/elogind just for skypeforlinux.

I don't think you can run ConsoleKit and elogind concurrently. My understanding is that you have to run OpenRC+ConsoleKit or OpenRC+elogind; you cannot run OpenRC+ConsoleKit+elogind (even if you don't add elogind to a runlevel, D-Bus starts it automatically). If both services are running concurrently, they will interfere with each other. I think you need to migrate properly to elogind and ditch ConsoleKit in order to stand a chance of Skype >=8.30.* working.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo,

OK, the Gentoo elogind wiki agrees with you that ConsoleKit and elogind cannot run at the same time. It recommends
Code:
USE="elogind -consolekit -systemd"
in make.conf to avoid conflicts. The lack of automatic skype login is the only conflict that i am aware of at this moment, so i am a bit reluctant to disable ConsoleKit altogether... Except that in bug 599470 one reads:
Quote:
While Consolekit is no longer maintained upstream, the fork ConsoleKit2 is under development.
So Consolekit is unmaintained, after all, and i see no ConsoleKit2 in the main tree at this point... So it may not be such a bad idea to quit using Consolekit, after all, especially if elogind does not introduce any nastiness.

I will re-emerge world with the new USE flags as per the wiki's suggestion, i will delete consolekit from the runlevel services, and i will log off and back on to my session to see what happens, and i will let you know.
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so i did what i mentioned above, but skypeforlinux still asks for my login information, i.e. it does not invoke gnome keyring.

So the fact that ConsoleKit was running at the same time as elogind was not the reason.

Any more ideas? :roll:
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing ConsoleKit from any runlevel is not sufficient; you have to uninstall it as well, otherwise D-Bus launches it automatically. After you have followed the instructions in the Gentoo Wiki article on elogind, you need to also:

Code:
emerge --ask --depclean consolekit

By the way, regarding 'ConsoleKit2', the '2' is just used to refer to the fork, it is not a separate package. The fork is the package in the Gentoo tree: sys-auth/consolekit, which is currently Version 1.2.1 in Portage. Notice the contents of its ebuild:

Code:
[...]
MY_PN=ConsoleKit2
MY_P=${MY_PN}-${PV}

DESCRIPTION="Framework for defining and tracking users, login sessions and seats"
HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/${MY_PN}/${MY_PN}/releases/download/${PV}/${MY_P}.tar.bz2"
[...]

Fitzcarraldo's blog
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Removing ConsoleKit from any runlevel is not sufficient; you have to uninstall it as well, otherwise D-Bus launches it automatically.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that indeed, i also uninstalled it:
Code:
% eix sys-auth/consolekit
* sys-auth/consolekit
     Available versions:  0.4.6 1.1.0-r1 1.1.2 1.2.0 1.2.1 **9999 {acl cgroups debug doc evdev pam pm-utils policykit selinux systemd-units test udev KERNEL="linux"}
     Homepage:            https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit
     Description:         Framework for defining and tracking users, login sessions and seats

Quote:
By the way, regarding 'ConsoleKit2', the '2' is just used to refer to the fork, it is not a separate package. The fork is the package in the Gentoo tree: sys-auth/consolekit, which is currently Version 1.2.1 in Portage. Notice the contents of its ebuild:

Code:
[...]
MY_PN=ConsoleKit2
MY_P=${MY_PN}-${PV}

DESCRIPTION="Framework for defining and tracking users, login sessions and seats"
HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/${MY_PN}/${MY_PN}/releases/download/${PV}/${MY_P}.tar.bz2"
[...]

I see. Well, one the more reason why disabling consolekit was probably not necessary, after all...
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orionbelt wrote:
I see. Well, one the more reason why disabling consolekit was probably not necessary, after all...

There are three options in Gentoo if you want to use Skype for Linux >=8.30.*. Either:

1. Use systemd.
or:
2. Use OpenRC+elogind. This is what my Gentoo KDE installations use, and Skype >=8.30.* works, whereas Skype >=8.30.* does not work with OpenRC+ConsoleKit.
or:
3. Use OpenRC+ConsoleKit with maelnor's skype-dbus-mock package to fool Skype into thinking either systemd or elogind is in use. See his post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8269418.html#8269418 . I have not tried his approach, as I have migrated to elogind in my two Gentoo KDE installations, and Skype >=8.30.* now works.

Pertinent threads:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1086741.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-skype_startms-skype_signms/skype-never-starts-skypeforlinux830050-1x8664rpm/6b28328b-eeda-41b1-b406-7a98dd285ee5

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_linux-skype_startms-skype_installms/skypeforlinux8307622amd64deb-does-not-work/dfb43b64-317d-4d55-a469-795c70e1f69f

If you have successfully migrated to elogind but Skype >=8.30.* will not launch at all, or will not remain running, is the elogind daemon still running?:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ ps -ef | grep elogind | grep -v grep
root     11765     1  0 16:54 ?        00:00:00 elogind-daemon

Are there any Skype log messages after you tried to launch Skype? In my case, with elogind, Skype >=8.30.* launches successfully and the Skype log file only contains a warning about a font:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ ls ~/.config/skypeforlinux/logs/
skype-startup.log
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ cat ~/.config/skypeforlinux/logs/skype-startup.log
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 24: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 31: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 31: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 37: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 45: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 45: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 53: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 53: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/65-culmus.conf", line 59: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected

Is the GNOME Keyring daemon running after you tried to launch Skype?:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ ps -ef | grep gnome | grep -v grep
fitzcarraldo     12385     1  0 16:56 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
fitzcarraldo     17779     1  0 18:21 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

Which USE flags are set for the GNOME Keyring? These are the flags set and not set in my installation:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ eix --installed gnome-keyring
[I] gnome-base/gnome-keyring
     Available versions:  3.20.0 3.20.1 (~)3.28.2 {+caps +filecaps pam selinux +ssh-agent test}
     Installed versions:  3.28.2(16:01:43 25/09/18)(caps filecaps pam ssh-agent -selinux -test)
     Homepage:            https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeKeyring
     Description:         Password and keyring managing daemon

Which USE flags are set for elogind? These are the flags set and not set in my installation:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ eix --installed elogind
[I] sys-auth/elogind
     Available versions:  238.1 {+acl debug doc +pam +policykit selinux KERNEL="linux"}
     Installed versions:  238.1(19:13:07 04/10/18)(acl doc pam policykit -debug -selinux KERNEL="linux")
     Homepage:            https://github.com/elogind/elogind
     Description:         The systemd project's logind, extracted to a standalone package

EDIT: In addition to all the above, do you have the GNOME Keyring USE flag set for app-crypt/pinentry, and is the applicable UI set? For example, in my Gentoo KDE installation I have the following:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ eix --installed pinentry
[I] app-crypt/pinentry
     Available versions:  1.0.0-r2 (~)1.0.0-r3 (~)1.1.0-r1 1.1.0-r2 (~)1.1.0-r3 {caps emacs fltk gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 static}
     Installed versions:  1.1.0-r3(18:52:52 14/10/18)(gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 -caps -emacs -fltk -static)
     Homepage:            https://gnupg.org/aegypten2/index.html
     Description:         Simple passphrase entry dialogs which utilize the Assuan protocol

[I] app-eselect/eselect-pinentry
     Available versions:  0.7
     Installed versions:  0.7(21:47:31 14/12/17)
     Homepage:            https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/eselect/
     Description:         Manage /usr/bin/pinentry symlink

Found 2 matches

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ eselect pinentry list
Available pinentry binary implementations:
  [1]   pinentry-gnome3
  [2]   pinentry-qt *
  [3]   pinentry-gtk-2
  [4]   pinentry-qt4
  [5]   pinentry-curses
  [6]   pinentry-tty

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all these posts, I still am a little bit confused: what exactly does consolekit do and why do I need that?

As far as I can see, elogind is a package that has been split from systemd for users who don't want to use systemd (like me). Where I'm still confused, if I run OpenRC+elogind, does that mean that I have to switch entirely to systemd or can I just use elogind as a replacement of consolekit?
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:
if I run OpenRC+elogind, does that mean that I have to switch entirely to systemd

No.

pablo_supertux wrote:
can I just use elogind as a replacement of consolekit?

Yes.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, basically, to switch to elogind I only have to change my USE variables to USE="elogind -consolekit -systemd" and then run emerge with -uvDN world to rebuild all packages affected by the USE change? Am I missing something else?
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:
so, basically, to switch to elogind I only have to change my USE variables to USE="elogind -consolekit -systemd" and then run emerge with -uvDN world to rebuild all packages affected by the USE change? Am I missing something else?

Please read the instructions in the Gentoo Wiki article elogind. Also see my posts https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8265524.html#8265524 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8266254.html#8266254 with further details of what I did to migrate from ConsoleKit to elogind on my two laptops.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I read your posts and the wiki page, I re-emerged the packages with the new USE flags, I rebooted my system, consolekit is not running anymore, but skype keeps logging me out after a restart :(

Because I've did an word update, a new skypeforlinux version was installed: 8.31.0.92, I don't know if that's causing trouble.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have successfully migrated to elogind but Skype does not remain running after you launch it, is the elogind daemon still running? Below is what I see on my main laptop (amd64 but with Skype unmasked by keyword):

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ ps -ef | grep elogind | grep -v grep
root      4066     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 elogind-daemon

If you launch Skype from a Konsole window, are any error messages displayed in Konsole?:

Code:
$ skypeforlinux

Are there any Skype log messages after you try to launch Skype? In my case, with elogind, the latest version of Skype (8.33.76.26) launches successfully and the Skype log file only contains the following warnings (i'm connected via Ethernet cable at the moment, not Wi-Fi):

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ ls ~/.config/skypeforlinux/logs/
skype-startup.log
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ cat ~/.config/skypeforlinux/logs/skype-startup.log
ioctl failed for wlan0, errno = 22 (Invalid argument)
ioctl failed for wlp2s0, errno = 22 (Invalid argument)
ioctl failed for wlp3s0, errno = 22 (Invalid argument)
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: S4lApi.js:67:33
Remote event names: locale-change

Is the GNOME Keyring daemon running after you tried to launch Skype?:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ ps -ef | grep gnome | grep -v grep
fitzcarraldo      5195     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
fitzcarraldo     15510     1  0 00:24 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

Which USE flags are set for the GNOME Keyring? Below are the flags that are set and not set in my installation:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ eix --installed gnome-keyring
     Available versions:  3.20.0 3.20.1 ~3.28.2 {+caps +filecaps pam selinux +ssh-agent test}
     Installed versions:  3.20.1(08:50:46 18/05/18)(caps filecaps pam ssh-agent -selinux -test)

Which USE flags are set for elogind? Below are the flags that are set and not set in my installation:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ eix --installed elogind
[I] sys-auth/elogind
     Available versions:  238.1 {+acl debug doc +pam +policykit selinux KERNEL="linux"}
     Installed versions:  238.1(20:22:29 05/10/18)(acl doc pam policykit -debug -selinux KERNEL="linux")
     Description:         The systemd project's logind, extracted to a standalone package

Do you have the GNOME Keyring USE flag set for app-crypt/pinentry? In my Gentoo KDE installation I have the following USE flags set for app-crypt/pinentry:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ eix --installed pinentry
[I] app-crypt/pinentry
     Available versions:  1.0.0-r2 ~1.0.0-r3 ~1.1.0-r1 1.1.0-r2 ~1.1.0-r3 {caps emacs fltk gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 static}
     Installed versions:  1.1.0-r2(18:28:52 01/10/18)(gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 -caps -emacs -fltk -static)
     Description:         Simple passphrase entry dialogs which utilize the Assuan protocol

Installed versions:  0.7(03:44:40 18/05/18)

Found 2 matches

Is the applicable UI set for pinentry? In my Gentoo KDE installation I have the following set:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ eselect pinentry list
Available pinentry binary implementations:
  [1]   pinentry-gnome3
  [2]   pinentry-qt *
  [3]   pinentry-gtk-2
  [4]   pinentry-qt4
  [5]   pinentry-curses
  [6]   pinentry-tty

What does the file /etc/pam.d/system-auth contain? In my Gentoo KDE installation it contains the following:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth            optional        pam_permit.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
account         optional        pam_permit.so
password        required        pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
password        required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok sha512 shadow
password        optional        pam_permit.so
session         required        pam_limits.so
session         required        pam_env.so
session         required        pam_unix.so
session         optional        pam_permit.so
-session        optional        pam_elogind.so

I do not know if your current lack of success stems from your using skypeforlinux-8.31.0.92 from the Portage main tree, as I leapfrogged that version and am currently using the latest version in the Microsoft repositories (skypeforlinux-8.33.76.26) in a local overlay:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ eix --installed skype
[I] net-im/skypeforlinux
     Available versions:  (~)8.29.0.50^msd (~)8.30.0.50^msd ~8.31.0.92^msd (~)8.31.76.93^msd[1] (~)8.33.76.26^msd[1] {pax_kernel ABI_X86="64"}
     Installed versions:  8.33.76.26^msd[1](00:21:47 18/10/18)(-pax_kernel ABI_X86="64")
     Homepage:            https://www.skype.com/
     Description:         Instant messaging client, with support for audio and video

[1] "local_overlay" /usr/local/portage

If you want to try that version (although I suspect your problem lies elsewhere), the ebuild I'm using in my local overlay is listed below:

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2018 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

EAPI=6

MULTILIB_COMPAT=( abi_x86_64 )

inherit eutils gnome2-utils pax-utils rpm multilib-build xdg-utils

DESCRIPTION="Instant messaging client, with support for audio and video"
HOMEPAGE="https://www.skype.com/"
SRC_URI="https://repo.skype.com/rpm/unstable/${PN}_${PV}-1.x86_64.rpm"

LICENSE="Skype-TOS MIT MIT-with-advertising BSD-1 BSD-2 BSD Apache-2.0 Boost-1.0 ISC CC-BY-SA-3.0 CC0-1.0 openssl ZLIB APSL-2 icu Artistic-2 LGPL-2.1"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~amd64 -*"
IUSE="pax_kernel"

S="${WORKDIR}"
QA_PREBUILT="*"
RESTRICT="mirror bindist strip" #299368

RDEPEND="
        app-crypt/libsecret[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        dev-libs/atk[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        dev-libs/expat[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        dev-libs/glib:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        dev-libs/nspr[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        dev-libs/nss[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        gnome-base/gconf:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        media-libs/alsa-lib[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        media-libs/fontconfig:1.0[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        media-libs/freetype:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        media-libs/libv4l[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        net-print/cups[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        sys-apps/dbus[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        sys-devel/gcc[cxx]
        virtual/ttf-fonts
        x11-libs/cairo[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/gtk+:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libX11[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXScrnSaver[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXcomposite[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXcursor[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXdamage[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXext[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXfixes[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXi[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXrandr[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXrender[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libXtst[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libxcb[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/libxkbfile[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        x11-libs/pango[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]"

src_unpack() {
        rpm_src_unpack ${A}
}

src_prepare() {
        sed -e "s!^SKYPE_PATH=.*!SKYPE_PATH=${EPREFIX}/opt/${PN}/${PN}!" \
                -i usr/bin/${PN} || die
        sed -e "s!^Exec=.*!Exec=${EPREFIX}/opt/bin/${PN}!" \
                -e "s!^Categories=.*!Categories=Network;InstantMessaging;Telephony;!" \
                -e "/^OnlyShowIn=/d" \
                -i usr/share/applications/${PN}.desktop || die
}

src_install() {
        dodir /opt
        cp -a usr/share/${PN} "${D}"/opt || die

into /opt
        dobin usr/bin/${PN}

dodoc usr/share/${PN}/*.html
        dodoc -r usr/share/doc/${PN}/.
        # symlink required for the "Help->3rd Party Notes" menu entry  (otherwise frozen skype -> xdg-open)
        dosym ${P} usr/share/doc/${PN}

doicon usr/share/pixmaps/${PN}.png

# compat symlink for the autostart desktop file
        dosym ../../opt/bin/${PN} usr/bin/${PN}

local res
        for res in 16 32 256 512; do
                newicon -s ${res} usr/share/icons/hicolor/${res}x${res}/apps/${PN}.png ${PN}.png
        done

domenu usr/share/applications/${PN}.desktop

if use pax_kernel; then
                pax-mark -m "${ED%/}"/opt/${PN}/${PN}
                pax-mark -m "${ED%/}"/opt/${PN}/resources/app.asar.unpacked/node_modules/slimcore/bin/slimcore.node
                eqawarn "You have set USE=pax_kernel meaning that you intend to run"
                eqawarn "${PN} under a PaX enabled kernel. To do so, we must modify"
                eqawarn "the ${PN} binary itself and this *may* lead to breakage! If"
                eqawarn "you suspect that ${PN} is being broken by this modification,"
                eqawarn "please open a bug."
        fi
}

pkg_postinst() {
        xdg_desktop_database_update
        xdg_mimeinfo_database_update
        gnome2_icon_cache_update
}

pkg_postrm() {
        xdg_desktop_database_update
        xdg_mimeinfo_database_update
        gnome2_icon_cache_update
}

In my amd64 installation on my main laptop I currently have a file /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/skype containing:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@clevow230ss ~ $ grep -v ^# /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/skype
=net-im/skypeforlinux-8.29.0.50 ~amd64
=net-im/skypeforlinux-8.30.0.50 ~amd64
# The following two versions are in my local overlay:
=net-im/skypeforlinux-8.31.76.93 ~amd64
=net-im/skypeforlinux-8.33.76.26 ~amd64

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elogind is running

Code:

$ ps -ef | grep elogind | grep -v grep
root      3869     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 elogind-daemon

skypeforlinux starts immediately in the background, no messages on the console. However I didn't realize that it writes a log file. The contents are:

Code:

tail: skype-startup.log: file truncated

(skypeforlinux:10140): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM mic_call
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM call
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM loopback_call
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM mic_call
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM call
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM loopback_call
tail: skype-startup.log: file truncated

(skypeforlinux:10327): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

from the tail error message you can see that I've started skype twice.

gnome-keyring is running

Code:

$ ps -ef | grep gnome | grep -v grep
shaoran   5756     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --components=secrets -d --start
shaoran   5795     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session

but the environment variable was not set. I killed the process and started it again and I got

Code:

$ /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --components=secrets -d --start
** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory

strange, last time I started it manually (a few days ago when I discovered this thread), gnome-keyring-daemon was able to start without a problem, this might be the reason why. The funny thing is that the socket exists:

Code:

$ ls /run/user/1000/keyring/control
srwxr-xr-x 1 shaoran shaoran 0 Oct 18 02:23 /run/user/1000/keyring/control

so I don't understand why gnome-keyring-daemon is complaining about.

Code:

$ eix --installed gnome-keyring
     Available versions:  3.20.0 3.20.1 ~3.28.2 {+caps +filecaps pam selinux +ssh-agent test}
     Installed versions:  3.20.1(11:44:48 PM 12/20/2017)(caps filecaps pam ssh-agent -selinux -test)

$ eix --installed elogind
[I] sys-auth/elogind
     Installed versions:  238.1(04:15:12 AM 10/07/2018)(acl pam policykit -debug -doc -selinux KERNEL="linux")

$ eix --installed pinentry
[I] app-crypt/pinentry
     Available versions:  1.0.0-r2 ~1.0.0-r3 ~1.1.0-r1 1.1.0-r2 ~1.1.0-r3 {caps emacs fltk gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 static}
     Installed versions:  1.1.0-r2(04:15:04 PM 10/06/2018)(gnome-keyring gtk ncurses qt5 -caps -emacs -fltk -static)

Installed versions:  0.7(04:12:27 AM 12/03/2017)

my /etc/pam.d/system-auth

Code:

auth      required   pam_env.so
auth      required   pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth      optional   pam_permit.so
account      required   pam_unix.so
account      optional   pam_permit.so
password   required   pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
password   required   pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok sha512 shadow
password   optional   pam_permit.so
session      required   pam_limits.so
session      required   pam_env.so
session      required   pam_unix.so
session      optional   pam_permit.so
-session        optional        pam_elogind.so

I think the problem might be that gnome-keyring-daemon is not starting properly for some reason, I'll take a closer look at that.

EDIT

I killed the running gnome-keyring-daemon instance. When I started it again I get these messages:

Code:

$ gnome-keyring-daemon --components=secrets -f --start
** Message: couldn't connect to control socket at: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: Connection refused
Gkm-Message: using old keyring directory: /home/shaoran/.gnome2/keyrings

$ file /run/user/1000/keyring/control
/run/user/1000/keyring/control: socket

But if if use -r instead of --start

Code:

$ gnome-keyring-daemon --components=secrets -f -r
** Message: Replacing daemon, using directory: /run/user/1000/keyring
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring

the error message does not appear, still skype does not ask for the keyring prompt (of course I didn't forget to set the env variable GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL). I see nothing in the logs. :(
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Skype for Linux require PulseAudio to be installed? Do you have PulseAudio installed? Perhaps that's why you're getting these error messages in your Skype log file:

Code:

Fitzcarraldo's blog
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Doesn't Skype for Linux require PulseAudio to be installed? Do you have PulseAudio installed? Perhaps that's why you're getting these error messages in your Skype log file:

Code:

luckily pulseaudio requirement it's a thing of the past. I don't know since when, but I guess since skypeforlinux runs with electron. I don't need apulse anymore.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: