Using Gentoo finally - what is the overall "status" of Gento
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shevy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Using Gentoo finally - what is the overall "status" Reply with quote

I am finally using Gentoo on my laptop.

However had not vanilla but some distribution based on Gentoo, which I found not so long
ago on distrowatch (sorry that I forgot the name ... it is a KDE-centric variant e. g.
plasma is running there; I could switch up my laptop but I am so lazy; I am writing this
from my main oldschool desktop machine, which uses slackware mostly because I am
lazy. Unfortunately slackware does not work on the laptop out of the box, and since
I am lazy, I simply used that gentoo-derivative instead, which actually works, though
it reports a firmware bug during boot ... not sure if it is worth to upgrade, I am scared
to break something so .... I shy away from doing so.)

I do not really use gentoo in the sense of most gentoo-users may do e. g. I don't use
or need portage/emerge, mostly because I use my own ruby scripts to compile things
from source. So far everything is fine.

I am also happy to not have to use systemd. I tested two systemd-centric distribution
before, one was fedora and the other ubuntu. Things are just wrong by default on
these machines; the gcc versions are modified and other wrongly compiled parts
make this a mess, e. g. getting relocation errors but having a hard time fixing
these trainwrecks; and after I did, systemd could not boot, so my system was
render useless.

It is a LOT easier to recover from such errors in sysvinit-style setups, mostly because
of a "rescue shell" terminal working. Once I can connect to a terminal/shell, I can fix
most things really easily. I always have a statically compiled binutils and from that
point it's easy - plus, if ruby works then all my ruby scripts work, so I can autofix
things (I even have a libtool-fixer to fix any stray .la files annoying me).

Anyway. This now brings me to my QUESTION:

- Since awful distributions such as fedora and ubuntu have been on the rise, I wonder
how many people are still the tech-savvy folks that used to be linux users?

I assume that lots of noobs came in, which is not necessarily a bad thing but it IS
a bad thing if these are all clueless and want to use an OS that they don't understand.

I drifted way too much into the world of LFS and BLFS, so gentoo feels a lot more
on that path than e. g. ubuntu would, for me. Gentoo always had a tradition of
having the brightest people use it too and I think one can find a lot for this on various
places, eudev, the dude who patched out systemd from gnome and many more things
that often originate in gentoo. (Arch used to be famous for tech-savvy people but
systemd dumbed it down and Arch changed under the "new management syndrome"
so void linux is mostly the arch that once used to be, sort of.)

The question is - are there still lots of tech-savvy people use Gentoo? And if not,
what happened to them?

PS: And why is the title limited in character size ... I can not add another 'o' to my title
which makes the title look silly. But I am not going to be deterred by such artificial
and useless limitations. :>
Goverp
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask motorists how good they are, they invariably say they're in the best 40% of drivers, which makes you wonder where all the morons come from.
I suspect asking Gentoo, Arch, BSD, etc. users how smart they are will give you the same result!

Basically, any system that not only offers a command line, but also insists on its use, will of necessity filter out the computer-illiterate.
cboldt
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo just works. I've been running it for 15 years more or less, and never had to "reload the whole system to get something working." I encourage you to use portage/emerge instead of your homebrew updating system. Portage/emerge has a learning experience (trouble) from time to time, but overall does a very good job of tracking dependencies, and keeping the parts cooperating..

I install some packages manually (maybe five total), but that is the exception. The "core" of the system is maintained by gentoo.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP installed a Gentoo binary derivative (Redcore? Calculate? Pentoo?) rather than using the Gentoo Handbook, and is not using Portage to install/update packages, then he's not really using Gentoo.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Gentoo finally - what is the overall "status& Reply with quote

shevy wrote:
PS: And why is the title limited in character size ... I can not add another 'o' to my title
which makes the title look silly. But I am not going to be deterred by such artificial

People here are used to the subject line limitations. Consider that the least of your problems.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Using Gentoo finally - what is the overall "status& Reply with quote

shevy wrote:
Personally, I think it looks weird to have your post using only half the horizontal width of the browser. You seem to have unnecessarily used explicit line-wrapping in your post. That's useful when you're preserving command output, but distracting when you're posting free text, especially since it isn't even wrapped at the traditional 80 columns. :) If you want to follow the general style here, use explicit line breaks only for paragraph boundaries. Leave the internal wrapping to the software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: