Any fscrypt and ext4 experiences?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Any fscrypt and ext4 experiences? Reply with quote

I thought I ought to consider encrypting my home folder, now that ext4 supports encrypted directories. But I can't find much information. There's a wiki entry that's systemd-based, and a short topic in the forums. And there's KDE vaults, which IIUC is an alternative way to achieve the same result (with different crypto), and I'm a KDE user.

Comments gratefully received.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that 2 years ago, gave it up after a while. Well, either my fault or it is (or was at least) to flaky/buggy.
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try out the ext4 built-in encryption. It works, but you can't really use it to encrypt a home directory. If you want to ssh into the machine, it will not work, as sshd cannot read the .ssh directory. You can have an encrypted folder in a home directory, and that'll work, but you have to manually add the key to the keyring on every login, although there is PAM mofule (not in portage) - pam_e4crypt that will do this. The key/passphrase cannot be changed on an encrypted directory so if you tie it into tyour login password and ever change your login password, it'll stop working, If you have a system-wide backup script, it will be unable to backup any encrypted directories.

With these limitation in mind, feel free to try it out on folder within your home directory and experiment, but its nowhere near ready for prime time yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: