Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How many DJT Supreme Court Confirmations Are We Looking At?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many SCOTUS confirmations for DJT?
Just Gorsuch.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
3
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5 or more
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:
Lyndsay Graham came out on top in this whole saga though, he came across as an awesome dude.


I'm really liking this new version of Senator Graham. The use flags changed :
Code:
USE="Backbone" emerge Lindsey-2.0
I'm grateful for the short-term benefits, and it was an impressive speech.

However, this vote shows the historical consistency of Republicans being incapable of coming together when it matters. There should have been at least a handful of Democrats vote for confirmation, but they are unified. And while they may pay lip-service to Manchin's defection, they also know he'd have lost reelection, and they certainly don't want to lose seats. Republicans barely managed what should have been an easy vote.

My point as it relates to Lindsey-2.0 is that the backbone being demonstrated by Republicans is completely external to them, based on past performance. Review the list of other possibilities and consider the backbone transference factor. Jeb certainly would have been negative, would any of them not have been? Maybe Cruz or Paul, but they don't seem to offer much in the way of leadership.

Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Bush, Gilmore, Christie, Fiorina, Santorum, Paul, Huckabee.

(Early Quitters) Pataki, Graham 1.0, Jindal, Walker, Perry.

Several seem like Democrats. And which are strong enough leaders capable of not running scared at the first sign of intermittent explosive disorder? I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but while some of those may not be completely objectionable (Cruz, Paul?), they come across to me as very typically weak Republicans.

They might have been allowed to pick a liberal judge Democrats would approve.

Didn't Never-Trumper Romney threaten to run again?

With the usual suspects, expect motivation to drop precipitously. It was 27 years between Reagan and Trump. And there isn't a trend toward successive presidencies by similar parties.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no faith that the GOP will do the right thing. I just know that the democrats won't.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm grateful for the short-term benefits, and it was an impressive speech.

Why do you feel it was an impressive speech? To me, it sounded whiny, petulant, and emotional.

Churchill: All I have to offer you is blood, sweat, and tears

Lincoln: It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Eisenhower: The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

Reagan: General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Graham: You want this seat? I hope you never get it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Graham: You want this seat? I hope you never get it!


Obama : You didn't build that.
BJ Clinton : I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
Hilldog Clinton : Basket of deplorables... ps, vote for me you deplorables.
Hirono : The men in this country need to shut up and do the right thing for once.


I'd say Lindsey stands head and shoulders above your leaders.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Graham: You want this seat? I hope you never get it!


Obama : You didn't build that.
BJ Clinton : I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
Hilldog Clinton : Basket of deplorables... ps, vote for me you deplorables.
Hirono : The men in this country need to shut up and do the right thing for once.


I'd say Lindsey stands head and shoulders above your leaders.

I didn't say that any of those speeches were impressive.

I understand why you (Muso) say you like the "new" Lindsey - he used raw partisan power to advance your party.

But I don't understand why someone (PJP) would say that he gave an impressive speech.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
But I don't understand why someone (PJP) would say that he gave an impressive speech.

Simple. You are a liberal that hates the original intent of the Constitution, and apparently you believe in guilty until proven innocent. That was the first time I ever admired Graham.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell


Last edited by Old School on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Reagan: General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Funny you mention that one. I was around at the time, and people of your political persuasion lambasted Reagan for that line.

Back in those days, when the Russians were the Soviet Union, Democrats admired guys like Gorbachev, and despised Ronald Reagan.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
pjp wrote:
I'm grateful for the short-term benefits, and it was an impressive speech.

Why do you feel it was an impressive speech? To me, it sounded whiny, petulant, and emotional.
Any airtime given to Democrats over the "process" epitomized petulant and whiny. Actually that's not completely true. There were a few moments where Feinstein didn't sound completely unreasonable, but I'm presuming she was playing less-bad cop to bad-cop Schumer. Graham defended the process needing credibility, which by that point had completely collapsed, he opposed character assassination, and defended a political victim against allegations with zero credibility.

The funny thing about constitutionalists is that they support changing the system, which makes opposition to a constitutionalist initially appear quite strange. And then the reason for opposition becomes apparent. They support change. Once The Rightful Way of Things is implemented, those who oppose constitutionalists don't want the possibility of it being changed.

richk449 wrote:
Churchill, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Reagan, Graham.
Interesting but not surprising that you focus on that sentence of Graham. Graham's was obviously not a prepared speech, so that's an apple to oranges comparison.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I understand why you (Muso) say you like the "new" Lindsey - he used raw partisan power to advance your party.


As I've told you countless times, I am not a republican. Your repeated dishonesty in claiming I am one PROVES that you are a disingenuous democrat.

Now, as to why I like the new Lindsey, he no longer sits back and allows the KKK party of Jim Crow to walk all over him.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Reagan: General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Funny you mention that one. I was around at the time, and people of your political persuasion lambasted Reagan for that line.

Back in those days, when the Russians were the Soviet Union, Democrats admired guys like Gorbachev, and despised Ronald Reagan.


Was rich in SF when Gorby arrived there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
richk449

I guess part of what is bugging me is that there is no "meat" here. There are no ideas. There are no proposals for making peoples lives better. There are no ideas about how to reduce the size of government, how to make the free market function better. There are are no discussions of how to deal with the mess of a health care system we currently have. There are no proposals to reduce the debt. There isn't anything impressive here. This is just one guy on one team saying that the other team is a bunch or jerks, and his team isn't.

Why does this stuff get you guys so excited?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Muso wrote:
richk449

I guess part of what is bugging me is that there is no "meat" here. There are no ideas. There are no proposals for making peoples lives better. There are no ideas about how to reduce the size of government, how to make the free market function better. There are are no discussions of how to deal with the mess of a health care system we currently have. There are no proposals to reduce the debt. There isn't anything impressive here. This is just one guy on one team saying that the other team is a bunch or jerks, and his team isn't.

Why does this stuff get you guys so excited?


The "politics of personal destruction" is extremely offensive and the democrats specialize in it. Finally seeing Lindsey grow a spine and point it out on camera for the drooling voters who just have gone along with the talking points the media reads out straight from the DNC is something that is a welcome change from the typical crap that goes on.

The entire idea of "drain the swamp" is to stop the crap like what was pulled against Kavanaugh... and I have some serious 4th amendment issues with Kavanaugh. But the swamp dwelling dems were too obsessed with trying to destroy a man's life and scrap the entire concept of "innocent until proven guilty" to even have a serious discussion on the actual merits of (now) Justice Kavanaugh.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Muso wrote:
richk449

I guess part of what is bugging me is that there is no "meat" here. There are no ideas. There are no proposals for making peoples lives better. There are no ideas about how to reduce the size of government, how to make the free market function better. There are are no discussions of how to deal with the mess of a health care system we currently have. There are no proposals to reduce the debt. There isn't anything impressive here. This is just one guy on one team saying that the other team is a bunch or jerks, and his team isn't.

Why does this stuff get you guys so excited?
WTF are you rambling about? Most of the clips in the video Muso provided were specific questions that had NOTHING to do with size of the Federal government (which is getting smaller), the economy (which is booming), no questions on Healthcare or the debt. He was responding to Specific questions.

You are a big boy. If you want to find Graham's positions on any of those subjects, you can. Instead, you are only floundering in water way over your head, flailing and failing to defend your position. And how has the Left responded to Graham? With homophobic attacks, of course. Another example of the hypocritical regressives.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Healthcare

"#directcare" looks promising (haven't researched finding a provider).

Medication Markup is Just #Crazy.
wrote:
Take, for example, the insurance agent who recently asked for an Rx price quote for a breast cancer medicine. The patient was quoted Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy $1900 and $2200 per month…. but the Atlas MD wholesale cost $6.70. Six dollars and seventy cents. Six. Dollars. Seventy. Cents.

Yes, seriously.

It seems insane that a giant retail pharmacy would make that kind of profit, but let’s give them some grace, shall we? I mean, they have a TON of overhead costs to cover. Poor things…

Sarcasm aside, the true cost of the medicine is under seven dollars. The real problem? It’s a shell game involving the cash price for the uninsured (which is ridiculously elevated) … so that they can show a discount for insured patients.

And because of gag laws set forth by the insurance companies, the pharmacy can’t tell the patient there’s a cheaper option without being guilty of breaching their contract… and that results in a hefty fine. Legislators are working to make all this go away, but it’s happening almost too slowly to notice.

So, what we can do in the meantime to fight this injustice?

_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 754
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
RE: Healthcare

"#directcare" looks promising (haven't researched finding a provider).

Medication Markup is Just #Crazy.
wrote:
Take, for example, the insurance agent who recently asked for an Rx price quote for a breast cancer medicine. The patient was quoted Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy $1900 and $2200 per month…. but the Atlas MD wholesale cost $6.70. Six dollars and seventy cents. Six. Dollars. Seventy. Cents.

Yes, seriously.

It seems insane that a giant retail pharmacy would make that kind of profit, but let’s give them some grace, shall we? I mean, they have a TON of overhead costs to cover. Poor things…

Sarcasm aside, the true cost of the medicine is under seven dollars. The real problem? It’s a shell game involving the cash price for the uninsured (which is ridiculously elevated) … so that they can show a discount for insured patients.

And because of gag laws set forth by the insurance companies, the pharmacy can’t tell the patient there’s a cheaper option without being guilty of breaching their contract… and that results in a hefty fine. Legislators are working to make all this go away, but it’s happening almost too slowly to notice.

So, what we can do in the meantime to fight this injustice?


The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. ~ Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Trump signed legislation on Wednesday that would free pharmacists to tell consumers when they could actually save money by paying the full cash price for prescription drugs rather than using health insurance with large co-payments, deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs.

SRC

Hard to find articles like this when one considers the propaganda arm of the DNC is over 80% negative coverage of President Trump.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democrats are a swarm of leeches in a pond that's drying up.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 131
Location: India

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 10 minute demonstration of typical democratic behaviour.
_________________
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeches. In a puddle of Kool Aid.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, she is still alive!

Here is hoping Orange Man can nominate another justice soon.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fairly surprised she didn't retire early in Obama's second term. She apparently wants to go until 90, but I wonder if she'll make it. Unlike those who retired, maybe she doesn't have anything else.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Damn, she is still alive!

Here is hoping Orange Man can nominate another justice soon.

Reminds me of the death of the Skeksis emperor in The Dark Crystal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIrGONcCu4#t=55s
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this belongs here, or maybe in a thread about media bias. Or possibly it should even be cross posted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Creepy Porn Lawyer needs his own thread! He also got evicted from his office for not paying the rent.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum