Can't compile virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14:0/0::gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Can't compile virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14:0/0::gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm on Pentoo (Gentoo + pentoo-overlay) and I can't seem to compile the latest stable app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14::gentoo. Please refer to the following output:
emerge --info '=app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14::gentoo': https://pastebin.com/YzGv5PBj
emerge -pqv '=app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14::gentoo': [ebuild R ] app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14 USE="X"
zcat /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14/temp/build.log.gz | head -n 100 > build-log && echo '[...] snip [...]' >> build-log && zcat /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14/temp/build.log.gz | tail -n 100 >> build-log: https://pastebin.com/rMa7c8hm

The build.log.gz was too big to upload to pastebin so I had to snip it, but in then I did notice:

Code:
Checking for libvpx:
  vpx not found at -lvpx  or vpx headers not found
  Check the file /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14/work/VirtualBox-5.2.14/configure.log for detailed error information.

I then proceeded with an 'emerge -1 media-libs/libvpx' and tried compiling the guest additions again. Sadly, again with no success. Then I looked in the '/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14/work/VirtualBox-5.2.14/configure.log' (https://pastebin.com/9Rq8mahr) as the build.log.gz suggested earlier, and found this:

Code:
***** Checking compiler.h *****
compiler.h not found

This is where I'm stuck and I don't know how to proceed. I was wondering if you any here can push me in the right direction. In the mean time, I'll keep trying harder. :-)
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't compile virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.14:0/0::gen Reply with quote

resill wrote:
In the mean time, I'll keep trying harder. :-)

8)

I'm currently in the middle of an emerge -e world, but when that finishes I'll see if it builds for me. Also running Gentoo w/Pentoo overlay (just for the tools, not the kernel or desktop).
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8255216.html#8255216
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Muso: You got my reference. 8) Let me know how your emerge goes!

@fedeliallalinea: Thanks, I already found that one. Sadly I'm nowhere closer to the solution than these guys and I'm not getting any missing symbols messages. I also managed to compile the guest additions on 4.18.5 before trying to upgrade to 4.18.11.

Today I've tried to:
* `make distclean` my my kernel sources, then compiled the kernel again, then the guest-additions, no success;
* `emerge -C pentoo-sources && emerge pentoo-sources`, then compiled kernel again, then the guest-additions, no success;
* `emerge -C pentoo-sources && rm -rf /boot/*18.11* && rm -rf /lib/modules/*18.11* && rm -rf /usr/src/*18.11*`, then compiled the kernel again, then the guest-additions, no success;
* Then removed the guest-additions from my world set, compiled the kernel again, rebuilt the kernel modules and rebooted into my new 4.18.11 kernel. Then tried to compile the guest-additions while using the new kernel, and still no success.

Every time it fails showing the exact same errors and I don't know how to fix this. There must something I'm doing wrong, no?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@fedeliallalinea: Thanks, I already found that one. Sadly I'm nowhere closer to the solution than these guys and I'm not getting any missing symbols messages. I also managed to compile the guest additions on 4.18.5 before trying to upgrade to 4.18.11.

So are you now installing virtualbox and addons version 5.2.18 to match your kernel as fedeliallalinea suggested? Your initial post is about 5.2.14.
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jaglover: Indeed, this is regarding 5.2.14. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I did try to compile 5.2.18 along the way, but it did not work - it gave the same error - and I would avoid running testing ebuild unless I had no other choice.
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a desperate attempt, I also tried to compile the 5.2.18 version of the guest additions by mounting the guest additions ISO, as Virtualbox provides on my host system (Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD image...). This also did not work. `/var/log/vboxadd-setup.log`: https://pastebin.com/WZwUCsTR

Perhaps kernel 4.18.11 is simply not yet supported by Virtualbox? I'm also seeing numerous posts on the Interwebz that suggest that other distros have similar problems on Fedore, CentOS, and such.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resill wrote:
Perhaps kernel 4.18.11 is simply not yet supported by Virtualbox? I'm also seeing numerous posts on the Interwebz that suggest that other distros have similar problems on Fedore, CentOS, and such.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8251644.html#8251644
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I run kernel 4.18.11 and VBox 5.2.18. I did not do any custom patching. But my system is all ~amd64.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
FWIW, I run kernel 4.18.11 and VBox 5.2.18. I did not do any custom patching. But my system is all ~amd64.

Same here but I'm in a stable system with virtualbox unmasked. , then I think that resill is compiling the 5.2.16 version
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
resill wrote:

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8251644.html#8251644

Thanks, I tried to configure 5.2.16 as the link suggests. This fails when executing `/usr/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.16.ebuild clean configure` on my machine: https://pastebin.com/dsEd36v2. I then tried to do the same for 5.2.14, and 5.2.18, but these fail and show the same error as well. I then found out that I did not have kbuild installed, so I installed dev-util/kbuild and tried again. I could then at least configure, but then when applying the patch, it shows:

Code:
patching file vboxsf/utils.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 50.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 60.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vboxsf/utils.c.rej

Can anyone confirm the patch can (still) be applied?
resill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's a known bug in Bugzilla: https://bugs.gentoo.org/660942. I hereby confirm I was able to compile the guest-additions using Goeran Bruns' solution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: