Bluetooth Module Can't Connect via rfcomm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gustafson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Bluetooth Module Can't Connect via rfcomm Reply with quote

I'll start by saying I don't know much about bluetooth. I'm trying to get a serial (rfcomm) connection between an arduino with an RN-41 module (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12575) and my gentoo box. I'm using bluez 5.50 and have tried many combinations of bluetoothctl and the GUI based tools to get the connection. I believe the module is setup as advertising a HID (human interface) service rather than an SPP (serial port profide)... it shows up with a keyboard icon. However, I can't figure out how to make that change. Searches have led to hundreds of seemingly related answers, but few are clear.

It appears I might be able to use bluetoothctl to set SPP profile if I can set uuid 0x0003 on the module https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/assigned-numbers/service-discovery... I thought I had done it but it doesn't seem to be persistent (I doubt I'm doing it right). The remaining intuition and guidance I've found requires an rfcomm connection in order to do any configuration changes on the modules. Out of luck there... was it the chicken or the egg?

I don't want to post too many red herrings of the ideas I've followed... can anybody offer guidance?

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: