EPSON Stylus CX4300/CX5600, scanner and epkowa: not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: EPSON Stylus CX4300/CX5600, scanner and epkowa: not working Reply with quote

Hi!

Some time ago, I was given an all-in-one Epson CX5600. The printer works flawlessly and prints without problems. The problem here is the scanner.
I noted that model uses the epkowa backend, so I did all instructions found on the Internet: installed iscan, enabled all kernel options needed (I don't even know if missing one), changing the cable, comment all epson-related options in the dll.conf, etc. However, nothing happens.

The scanner is detected normally, and this happens when I run sane-find-scanner (as root):

Code:

hackenherr:~ # sane-find-scanner                                                                                                                               [17:12:41]

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
  # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
  # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [Language Error], product=0x083f [Language Error]) at libusb:002:006
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
found USB scanner (vendor=0x22b8, product=0x2e76) at libusb:003:003
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

Also, this is given by scanimage -L (as user):

Code:

hackenherr:~ jorgicio% scanimage -L                                                                                                                            [17:08:39]
device `epkowa:usb:002:006' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname WebCam SCB-1100N: WebCam SCB-11 virtual device

As you can see, the model is not found (although it knows that's an Epson). But the backend is running as I watched. Also, the rules are installed in /lib/udev/rules.d, both in 41-libsane.rules and 99-iscan.rules. I tried commenting in one of those files and then the other, and then I left both just in case.

No matter what I did (which is mentioned above), in all cases, the result is the same: Argument invalid. Tried with iscan and xsane. After that, the Epson turns off.
Also, I tried debugging, and I got no further information of why does it happen. I though the scanner is bad, so tried scanning in Windows and it works. I don't know why in Linux does not. And Google does not helping me.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: