My first time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazylitor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: My first time Reply with quote

Hi,

as it is my first post: once again - hi!.

How my adventure with Gentoo started:
In 2001 I noticed that I played in CS for 7 hours straight so then I decided to remove Windows and use something else that would not let me play. Started with Mandrake/Mandriva (yuck), then Debian, RedHat, Suse, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, <many more>, Gentoo. Boom!
Installation took like a week (system + essentials). Did I noticed any speed boost? Hell no. But it was fun! <geek mode>

I was using it until 2009 and then bought MacBook.

3 weeks ago I spilled covfefe on my quite new MacBook Pro, apple asks for repair the same amount for which I would buy newer MacBook Pro. So FU Apple and I'm going for linux once again. I truly don't know which linux (I do have a sentiment to Ubuntu on gnome [not unity] and Gentoo) but I do not know yet which hardware. Maybe Dell XPS with Ubuntu because that one should be 100% linux friendly.

What is your story?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

started of several years ago on a Pentium III 600 MHz with Gentoo, this was an alternative to Red Hat Linux and Mandrake

and took me at least a week to get the basic system running and several weeks (and approaches) to get it up and running properly

but it was worth it

so much less frustration (and hangs) vs. using Windows - since that time it became more and more my main system.

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Gentoo for a good long while as only OS, tired of various wireless shenanigans - jumped ship to Win7, then Win10.

Became fed up with Win10 and telemetry, a new build (I'm a bit OCD about reusing disks, if I'm doing a new build then it's a new disk) and I loaded Kubuntu up. Everything works great (Ryzen 2400g) and Steam proton is pretty good too.

Have Windows 10 in a virtual now, just need it for the audible client.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using Linux (Red Hat 5) when Microsoft launched Win98se. They were selling bugfixes. So a quick fdisk and CD install and I was in Linux. After a while switched to Mandrake, then Slackware, SuSE... and after a while found source based distros, using Sorcerer the longest until I came across Gentoo in 2002.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time Reply with quote

until 2007 i was using Windows XP. I bought a new mother-board and a 64bit CPU. as 64 bit was not supported by WinXP and the 64bit XP was lacking drivers/support i was told to install Vista. Thinking of that option made me sick so i swaered to God that Vista will never get on any of my PCs.

I wiped the disk and did install Gentoo just in a few weeks (without a secondary computer attached to Internet so i had to check the docs elsewere).

Since then i tried other distros Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, BSD and various live CD/DVDs.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried countless distros. In the end, I use Gentoo & Kali. I have my wife on Linux Mint and I keep her system up to date via SSH. She's been using Linux now for a while, and still never touches the command line.

Gentoo is the perfect system, but it takes a lot of tuning and care. I'm pretty sure we all have a touch of OCD in the Gentoo sphere.
drutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Nice stories.

I got thrown into Gentoo as my first linux experience in around 2001/2002 by a friend who had dabbled with linux and heard that gentoo was the shit.
Toghether we printed the documentation and tried to bootstrap, optimize compiling and choose kernel options for days. Gave up a few times and used Slackware for a while but came back to Gentoo and used it solid through my years in high scool and university.

After getting a job and starting a family I couln't keep up with all the changes in Gentoo which took way to much time just to manage the computer so i switched to varius debian/ubuntu/mint versions to save time and have recently been using on Pop!_OS.

Since the beginning I've only had windows as a backup solution for some gaming and banking apps.
Since banking started working on android I haven't had a windows copy on any computer at home for a few years.
Until I got my kids a gaming system last year... :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: