Enlightenment 0.22.3 upgrade left system unstable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinheiro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Enlightenment 0.22.3 upgrade left system unstable Reply with quote

I've been running enlightenment a couple of years without problems. I have a very out-of-the-box setup, I just wanted a window manager that would not depend on systemd and which would let me use basic aplications (firefox, thunderbird, and, mainly, xterm) without me needing to spend time on it. I just upgraded to 0.22.3 and now have an unusable system. The symptoms are erratic and don't even seem related: mousing over the multimedia menu item makes the menu reset. Applications sometimes run ok, other times run ok but without being rendered to the screen. The system thinks random keys are held down (usually the left arrow). The taskbar sometimes goes into a loop redrawing itself, where nothing else can be done. etc.

I've cleared my old .e configuration directory and can't think of anything else obvious to try.

I don't know if this bug is the cause or just another symptom, but i'm also getting segfaults from libevas as described in this bug report: https://phab.enlightenment.org/T7354#124345

Has anyone else got the current gentoo package to run ok?

Graham
Juippisi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Enlightenment 0.22.3 upgrade left system unstable Reply with quote

marinheiro wrote:

I've cleared my old .e configuration directory and can't think of anything else obvious to try.

Hmm, one thing that comes to my mind is to re-compile efl and then enlightenment after. That sometimes fixes weird issues like this. Also, switch between opengl and software rendering in settings, restart E from the menu and see if anything changes? You might also want to try this disabling or enabling the "use pixmap imaging" or something, I dont remember exactly where in the settings it is, but I guess somewhere under compositing -> advanced.

For better debug logs, you'll have to compile efl with "debug" use enabled, and start it from TTY.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Enlightenment#Debugging

You can also take the old working enlightenment ebuilds, place them into your local overlay and use package.mask to block incoming updates.

Quote:

Has anyone else got the current gentoo package to run ok?

Yes :)

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/efl-1.21.1::gentoo  USE="X bmp drm eet fontconfig gif gstreamer harfbuzz ico jpeg2k opengl pdf ppm psd pulseaudio sound ssl svg system-lz4 systemd tiff -avahi -connman -dds -debug -egl -examples -fbcon -fribidi -gles -glib -gnutls -hyphen -ibus -libressl -libuv -luajit (-neon) -nls -physics -postscript -raw -scim -sdl -static-libs -tga -tslib -unwind -v4l -valgrind -vlc -vnc -wayland -webp -xcf -xim -xine -xpm -xpresent" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-wm/enlightenment-0.22.4:0.17/0.22.4::gentoo  USE="pam systemd udisks -acpi -bluetooth -connman -doc -geolocation -nls (-packagekit) -wayland -wifi" 0 KiB

(works systemdless too)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: