Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Get static IPV6 address when your ISP doesn't provide them?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Get static IPV6 address when your ISP doesn't provide them? Reply with quote

Hi,

My ISP has IPV6 support but they don't support a static address on IPV6. My actual allocated address moves periodically, so it's not just a theoretical problem.

I'd like to have a static IPV6 address as a VPN endpoint. The dynamic DNS servers often leave me with a mismatch for an hour or so after the IP switches, and while it's rare it happens, and when it does I can't do my job.

I was thinking about maybe shooting for something from Hurricane Electric, and then tunnel there. But I don't see a 6to6 tunnel howto anywhere.

I'd like to know if I'm missing something?

Thanks.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Maybe you could check your dynamic DNS service settings for TTL: default must be 3600 (s / 1H). Setting this to 300 for example would reduce mismatch time to max 5 minutes in case of IP switch.

++
Gi)
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out.

I'm curious though, that with everything IPV6 supposedly automatic that there might be something I don't know about? The DDNS thing is just an example of awkwardness in IPV6. From the client end it's simple and straightforward, but auto-configuration of any aspect of a server gets trouble.

While this is off topic, existing services like firewall rules could possibly follow auto-configuration if they used MAC addresses as one possible qualifier in rules. That clearly doesn't fit well with multiple IPs per NIC but I think a generic case could be made for a dual-stack device with a single NIC and auto-configuration and a desire for the same rules in all addresses, which I think covers 90%+ of all cases. Only wiring a web server, DNS, etc that way might get crazy.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be missing something.
As soon as you are allocated a new address, register it with dynamic DNS.
The *old* address should not have expired yet but is probably deprecated for new connections (this is fine btw).

If you use dhcpcd, you can script dhcpcd.exit-hook to register dynamic DNS for each reason ROUTERADVERT.

Good luck!
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: