View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But has she or others ranted about removal (of via white males ) otherwise she is just being vocal of her agenda
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
But has she or others ranted about removal (of via white males ) otherwise she is just being vocal of her agenda

From what i understand, 'edit:' ted tso is her next target. calling him a rape apologist.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ada is pure cancer

meh's a hero.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Ada is pure cancer

meh's a hero.

Paid troll or useful idiot.
Occam's razor suggests the latter. Then again with how much of the entire computing world which runs on the linux ecosystem....
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the repeat post but this whole situation reminded me of this old ms-paint comic.
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0497/92/1476507656897.jpg
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

+1. This is code in the kernel tree. If it starts causing regressions, it'll be reverted. End of story.

Are you really sure that the next KDBUS will be reverted?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what is needed: https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is needlessly debating?

Why don't you just get on with the job and let CoC stay in its place?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
This is what is needed: https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC

LOVE this

notageek wrote:

The only place the CoC belongs in tech, is in Teledildonics. It has no place in Opal, and it sure as hell has no reason to be in the Linux Kernel.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

I don't think anyone here was doing the job to begin with.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this interesting. though of course take it with a grain of salt.

https://i.imgur.com/uPa08bI.png
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't feel like a big stretch that his daughter helped him out with a basic outline that he then made his own or something like that.
Asch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/_sagesharp_/status/1042769399596437504?lang=en

Just look at that. One of the most fundamental aspects of Law is the fact that a law doesn't apply to anything that has been done before it entered into force.

And they want to do it with this CoC and a major contributor to Linux.

They don't abide to what they preach and they also won't abide to the most basic and universal legal principles.

They should be banished from society, as they commit the same misconducts they claim to be fighting and blame their own victims. And anyone who complains about that is victim-blaming, of course.
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asch wrote:

This whole COC business needs to stop. Now they are starting the character assassination campaign.
More will most likely follow, they will stop at nothing.

Sad days ... Sad days indeed
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

You didn't really read into the CC CoC, right?
Well, basically a CoC is a nice thing. It creates guidelines you can look up when in doubt. Something to get orientation.

The ContributorCovenant (CC) variant that gets pressed onto whoever doesn't say "no" firmly enough, pressed (and/or forced on) by its author CoralineAda, has some tiny flaws in it, which are undoubtedly intentional:
  • The list of examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• "Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

This is a vague and unreasonable way of basically saying: "Whatever I don't like". This is bullshit and needs to be removed.
  • There is this part:

"Project maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful."

Which simply gives them god like power to remove anyone without a clear defined reason. This section is bullshit.
  • "This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces when an individual is representing the project or its community. Examples of representing a project or community include using an official project e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event. Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers."

Or in other words, if they want to kick someone out, they just need to find anything from anytime and anywhere, define it as "deemed inappropriate" and simply declare the wrongdoing was while representing the project.
So actually these points give god like power to project team members, basically allowing the lead team to harass and to ban anybody they like to.

And you know what? CoralineAda has been caught countless times violating their own CC CoC - to silence critics.

https://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=12620976&cid=57325250 wrote:
The CC is an SJW vehicle promulgated by Coraline Ada and a related group of activist malcontents. While the CC appears on the surface to be a call of civility, it's actually the tip of a very long and exsanguatory anti-meritocracy spear, one that ultimately seeks to elevate high-verbal-IQ non-technical politics-playing San-Francisco-residing cliques of social justice advocates into positions of recognition and authority in the free software world and beyond. If you write code and you're good at it, these people are a direct threat to your status, your hobby, and your livelihood, because if these people get their way, your technical excellence becomes secondary to their wokeness.

And she doesn't even disguises her intention: https://twitter.com/CoralineAda/status/1041465346656530432

virtguru wrote:
Asch wrote:

This whole COC business needs to stop. Now they are starting the character assassination campaign.
More will most likely follow, they will stop at nothing.

Sad days ... Sad days indeed
Erm, what's in there? (I am blocked, like anyone who has ever replied in a critical way to her/him/it.)

Here is a masterpiece of trolling the SJWs: https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/569

Last edited by Yamakuzure on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it. All I'm saying is CoC can be used both ways. The said individual could be in violation of CoC as you rightly pointed out and could be banned from contributing to projects.
Asch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everybody must've read it by now, but this might shed some light on the situation:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45664640

I know it's the BBC, but puts many of the more sinister hypotheses off the table.

It makes it look like that Linus still holds the power and really want to improve things on the people side. It is interesting that he is making an effort to not be associated with the far right.

However, I still think that even the most obnoxious genocide-preaching and holocaust-denying nationalist is nothing in comparison with what the left has been creating lately. Those people make Hitler look like a moderate saint (and even Goebbels like a discordśolving paladin of truth).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asch wrote:
It is interesting that he is making an effort to not be associated with the far right.
And in doing so, appears to have sided with people who criticise my 'white cis male' behaviour, while at the same time cursing more than I ever do.

I think only time will tell. Maybe the new and improved Linus will lead the effort within Linux to reject both extremes. Unfortunately, he has the economic ability to seek meaningful professional help. Others may not.
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linus wrote:
In contrast, the arguments about behaviour never seem to end up having a common goal. Except, in some sense, the argument itself.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read the whole thread yet, sorry if it's already been mentioned but:

This whole thing seems bizarre, Linus seems awfully out-of-character. This isn't Linus, this feels like somebody (metaphorically) killed Linus and using his dead body as a puppet; "Hi kids, remember me? It's Linus Torvalds, the famous creator of the Linux Operating System(tm). Did you know, I'm an awful person for wanting the best for my project and telling people honestly what I think. If you disagree with me or this wonderful woman Coraline, you're an awful bigot! Yay, rainbows!"
I know this may be a stretch but this seems to me like a coordinated, political effort to remove Linus from his position of power; there certainly are people/companies who'd benefit greatly if the gatekeeper was removed and replaced by someone more submissive to them. The whole Coraline CoC shebang seems to be a ruse, which would make him, like trukaiser said, a useful idiot, knowingly or otherwise.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Didn't read the whole thread yet, sorry if it's already been mentioned but:

This whole thing seems bizarre, Linus seems awfully out-of-character. This isn't Linus, this feels like somebody (metaphorically) killed Linus and using his dead body as a puppet; "Hi kids, remember me? It's Linus Torvalds, the famous creator of the Linux Operating System(tm). Did you know, I'm an awful person for wanting the best for my project and telling people honestly what I think. If you disagree with me or this wonderful woman Coraline, you're an awful bigot! Yay, rainbows!"
I know this may be a stretch but this seems to me like a coordinated, political effort to remove Linus from his position of power; there certainly are people/companies who'd benefit greatly if the gatekeeper was removed and replaced by someone more submissive to them. The whole Coraline CoC shebang seems to be a ruse, which would make him, like trukaiser said, a useful idiot, knowingly or otherwise.

Let's not also forget that one of the reasons (or at least based on what I've read, please correct me if otherwise) that Linus adopted his blunt approach to developer communication was because of a developer who attempted suicide after working for a long time on an unnecessary patch that Linus had to reject; Linus' reasoning being that being blunt from the onset would prevent such an event from happening again. So this approach, which has been honed and used effectively for almost 30 years now, AND being done OUT OF GOOD INTENTIONS AFTER A NEAR-TRAGIC SITUATION, is suddenly to be questioned and criticized? Linus' interview does seem to suggest that he came at this organically, but it's such a 180 it's hard to believe that it's a natural transition.

Last edited by Morality124 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
Let's not also forget that one of the reasons (or at least based on what I've read, please correct me if otherwise) that Linus adopted his blunt approach to developer communication was because of a developer who attempted suicide after working for a long time on an unnecessary patch that Linus had to reject, with Linus' reasoning being that being blunt from the onset would prevented such an event from happening again. So this approach, which has been used effectively for almost 30 years now, AND being done OUT OF GOOD INTENTIONS AFTER A NEAR-TRAGIC SITUATION, is suddenly to be questioned and criticized? Linus' interview does make it seem to suggest that he came at this organically, but it's such a 180 it's hard to believe that it's a natural transition.

++, I had no idea that was the case, I just thought it was the accepted thing to do in development to be blunt and to the point to avoid miscommunication, delays and to be as efficient as possible. You're right, nothing organic about the change. His daughter may have played some part in this as well but I doubt she'd be doing it in bad faith; either another useful idiot or she is the one threatened by her feminist "friends" and Linus is doing this just to make sure no harm comes her way.
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Morality124 wrote:
Let's not also forget that one of the reasons (or at least based on what I've read, please correct me if otherwise) that Linus adopted his blunt approach to developer communication was because of a developer who attempted suicide after working for a long time on an unnecessary patch that Linus had to reject, with Linus' reasoning being that being blunt from the onset would prevented such an event from happening again. So this approach, which has been used effectively for almost 30 years now, AND being done OUT OF GOOD INTENTIONS AFTER A NEAR-TRAGIC SITUATION, is suddenly to be questioned and criticized? Linus' interview does make it seem to suggest that he came at this organically, but it's such a 180 it's hard to believe that it's a natural transition.

++, I had no idea that was the case, I just thought it was the accepted thing to do in development to be blunt and to the point to avoid miscommunication, delays and to be as efficient as possible. You're right, nothing organic about the change. His daughter may have played some part in this as well but I doubt she'd be doing it in bad faith; either another useful idiot or she is the one threatened by her feminist "friends" and Linus is doing this just to make sure no harm comes her way.

Did his daughter go to a contemporary university?
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
:lol:
But no, it's much worse.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
mrbassie wrote:
:lol:
But no, it's much worse.

Women's studies.

Jb vomits
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: