Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novicegentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

I'm from India and am a Hindu, in my culture and religion, cows are revered, that's why we don't beef.

Last time I didn't notice Gentoo's mascot cow but this time I did. What struck about it is the name, Larry is male name it is being used to refer to a cow. Now I know if Gentoo was disrespectful of cow, it wouldn't have used it as a mascot.

What really spurred this thread is a Gentoo artwork/wallpaper, which shows a drawing of a cow being raised by the Gentoo logo, like a UFO abduction, with the comment "if it moves, compile it". I didn't really know what to make of it, what does this artwork mean? How do others here perceive this artwork?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clashes of cultures does not give the high ground to the one that decides to take offence. "I'm offended" does not equate to "It's offensive"
Had the cow been drawn and a hindi eating it then I would agree with you but that isn't the case...

https://downtheforestpath.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/stephen-fry-on-offence.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

8)

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
novicegentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
The clashes of cultures does not give the high ground to the one that decides to take offence. "I'm offended" does not equate to "It's offensive"
Had the cow been drawn and a hindi eating it then I would agree with you but that isn't the case...

https://downtheforestpath.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/stephen-fry-on-offence.jpg

I haven't watched those videos and I don't know what they are about.

Why should Stephen Fry's opinion be valued higher in this case? Certain things offends certain people, to them it is wrong, if people don't want to offend, it has been removed as wrong. Had thing involved something related to LGBTQ or Feminists, I'm sure it would be considered offensive and you'd up there with pitchforks.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

novicegentoo wrote:
Last time I didn't notice Gentoo's mascot cow but this time I did. What struck about it is the name, Larry is male name it is being used to refer to a cow. Now I know if Gentoo was disrespectful of cow, it wouldn't have used it as a mascot.

It's because Gentoo is gender neutral.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

novicegentoo wrote:
What struck about it is the name, Larry is male name it is being used to refer to a cow.

Yes. Are you being disrespectful to trans people??

Quote:
Now I know if Gentoo was disrespectful of cow, it wouldn't have used it as a mascot.

So you answered your own question.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novicegentoo wrote:
Naib wrote:

Why should Stephen Fry's opinion be valued higher in this case? Certain things offends certain people, to them it is wrong, if people don't want to offend, it has been removed as wrong. Had thing involved something related to LGBTQ or Feminists, I'm sure it would be considered offensive and you'd up there with pitchforks.
and offence is taken NOT given...
Everything has the potential to offend someone but that does not mean it is offensive. What does being g offended mean anyway? You chose to be offended and then woke up with leprosy. No ... Being offended is not the end of the world and is not a license to change everything to ensure no-one is offended.

Again just because you TOOK offense doesn't mean it was offensive.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

P.Kosunen wrote:
novicegentoo wrote:

I always assumed it wasn't gender neutral but that Larry used to be Laura and Gentoo is THE goto LGBTQBBQ distro.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a female dog Larry.
Morality124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

P.Kosunen wrote:
novicegentoo wrote:

I thought it was nender geutral (Latin for "don't have a cow").
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
novicegentoo wrote:
Naib wrote:

and offence is taken NOT given...
Everything has the potential to offend someone but that does not mean it is offensive. What does being g offended mean anyway? You chose to be offended and then woke up with leprosy. No ... Being offended is not the end of the world and is not a license to change everything to ensure no-one is offended.

Again just because you TOOK offense doesn't mean it was offensive.

First off, I agree with you.

Sadly however we as a society decided some things ARE offensive.
You can't deny the holocaust (I think you'd be an idiot, but I do believe you should be allowed)
You can't make derogatory remarks about anything non-white/non-male anymore.
etcetera.

This is quite dangerous because with this we (un)willingly decided some people feelings are more worth than other people feelings.

I fear we have yet to see the big shitstorm before we return to reality again.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new can of worms.

Quote:
Gentio and Gentoo terms were applied historically to indigenous peoples of India.

Look up 'Gentoo term' in Wikipedia.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

novicegentoo wrote:
What really spurred this thread is a Gentoo artwork/wallpaper, which shows a drawing of a cow being raised by the Gentoo logo, like a UFO abduction, with the comment "if it moves, compile it". I didn't really know what to make of it, what does this artwork mean? How do others here perceive this artwork?
You would have to ask the creator to know what the artwork "means."

I've not seen it. But it sounds like an attempt to be funny regarding Gentoo being a source based distro that requires everything to be compiled. In addition, "if it moves" is a somewhat common phrase (at least in the US). One of the most common begins with "If it moves, tax it." Another is "If it moves, salute it." For me personally, I wouldn't have given it a second look since I use either a solid color for my desktop background, or Prairie Wind (from NT4?).

EDIT: The above is my personal opinion and not an official response representing Gentoo.

Last edited by pjp on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
A new can of worms.

Quote:
Gentio and Gentoo terms were applied historically to indigenous peoples of India.

Look up 'Gentoo term' in Wikipedia.
"Gentoo" lists the penguin, the distro, the file manager and then "the term."

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux

The distro was named for the penguin.

Unofficial mascots include Larry The Cow and Znurt the Flying Saucer.
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Larry" is short for "Laurel", which is a non-gendered name. Larry chose this name and nickname because Larry is a strictly non-binary cow.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This user should be banned and publicly shamed. Although Larry may or may not not exist in the physical universe (example user/drawing prejudice should be treated as seriously as any other), nonetheless Larry should not be subject to hateful pronouns.

Check your Hindu privilege.

EDIT: Purge Berferd from the interwebz too. Prejuduce against trees who identify as one gender or another is just as serious as any other prejudice.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie,

Everyone who enters the international arena has to discover that other cultures do things differently and have different beliefs.
Its the way of the world. The forums have a reputation for helping with all sorts of learning processes.
We don't do that by banning/shaming users.

Some are more tolerant than others about dealing with culture clashes when they occur.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what MrBassie said was to be taken as a joke, Neddy.
Morality124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prejuduce against trees who identify as one gender or another is just as serious as any other prejudice.

I recall a famous post-modern philosopher named Neil Peart who dealt heavily into the issue of tree oppression.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I think what MrBassie said was to be taken as a joke, Neddy.

How dare you?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
Quote:
Prejuduce against trees who identify as one gender or another is just as serious as any other prejudice.

I recall a famous post-modern philosopher named Neil Peart who dealt heavily into the issue of tree oppression.

Not famous enough imho.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think of it as a big goat....
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

novicegentoo wrote:
I'm from India and am a Hindu, in my culture and religion, cows are revered, that's why we don't beef.

Last time I didn't notice Gentoo's mascot cow but this time I did. What struck about it is the name, Larry is male name it is being used to refer to a cow.

Hello, old JB here - I'm mr diversity and I can assure you that there's no bias whatsoever on these here forums.

It's good that you are watchful however, the cancer of discrimination can surface at any point and we must be ever vigilant

We do not suffer witches.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo project disrespectful to cows? Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:

We do not suffer witches.

I assume warlock's are perfectly acceptable though, you monster?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team,

Time to stop.

If there are any more on topic posts to be made, the topic can be unlocked.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: