CodeBlocks: Help plugin. Anyone knnows?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: CodeBlocks: Help plugin. Anyone knnows? Reply with quote

Anyone got an idea how to install the help plugin with CodeBlocks. I really like the IDE, but not much inntergrated help. So I read I need the help plugin for that. Any USE flags or howto?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally this would be satisfied by the "doc" use flag, but this package doesn't seem to have one. You might want to file a bug.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Portage & Programming. DT&T is not a support forum so it fits better here.

- John
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: CodeBlocks: Help plugin. Anyone knnows? Reply with quote

k9dog wrote:
Anyone got an idea how to install the help plugin with CodeBlocks. I really like the IDE, but not much inntergrated help. So I read I need the help plugin for that. Any USE flags or howto?

Have been using Codeblocks for many years. Click "Help-> Plugins -> Help Plugin". This shows information how to link man pages and other files to help you. Such as the user manual http://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html and https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html.

What kind of help do you need?
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Help plugin isn't listed. The package doesn't have docs listed as global or local. My space is limited atm. So would prefer not listing it everywhere just to add plugin.
emerge --info codeblocks doesn't list docs USE flag. Codeblocks editor help is available, but plugin isn't.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try building with the contrib USE flag set. Seems to result in a "Help" plugin being installed.

- John
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help plugin 1.1

/usr/lib/codeblocks/plugins/libhelp_plugin.so

This plugin is used to add a list of help files to the Help menu so you can have them handy to launch.

You can also set one of the help files as the default help file, and that way it'll be launched when you press F1.
NOTE: you can add any file you want, and it'll be launched with the associated application.

It'll also integrate in the context menu of the editor (right click) enabling you to search the word under the cursor in any of the help files.
NOTE: it's meaningful under Windows for help files with extension hlp or chm, and for any platform when the help file is an URL, a man page or a line to be executed (read below).

To add an URL as a help file, add a new help file as usual BUT choose NO when prompted for browsing the help file. Be sure the new help file is selected and enter the URL in the text entry (the one followed by the ... button).

In addition you can also add a whole line to be executed just like you add URLs. Just be sure to check "This line represents a full command to be executed" for that help file.

It's also possible to add man pages to the help plugin. To do this, follow the same steps to add an URL, but use the following syntax:
man:dir
where dir is the path to the directory that has all the man pages. If you want to add more directories you just need to separate them with a semicolon ";". Just be sure the man pages are in plain text, GZip or BZip2. On *nix systems you would most likely add this one:
man:/usr/share/man

Have in mind that looking for man pages is done recursively, so use it carefully.

TIP: you can add $(keyword) in any place of the path to the help file, URL or line to execute, any number of times, and it'll get replaced by the word you selected to locate in that help file.

The configuration dialog for this plugin can be found clicking on Settings -> Environment (Help files).

Also see: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Help_plugin
and http://http://forums.codeblocks.org/

What help do you need?
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@John. I think you are correct. I don't have the contrib flag included. After adding it it fails I think due to problems with the boost library. Maybe it needs more.

@C5ace. Yup that file is missing.

So maybe removing boost from system. Hm .. might try that.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My /etc/portage/package.keywords/codeblocks file:

Code:
=dev-util/codeblocks-17.12-r1 ~amd64

# required by dev-util/codeblocks-17.12-r1::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=dev-libs/tinyxml-2.6.2-r3 ~amd64

My /etc/portage/package.use/codeblocks file:

Code:
dev-util/codeblocks contrib -fortran
x11-libs/wxGTK gtk2

The dependent boost library should be automatically installed when emerging codeblocks with the "contrib" USE flag.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help all. Got it to work with contrib flag and by emerging codeblocks-9999 (possibly some the others worked too), but the default failed due to boost not having all the correct libdirs as far as I could figure out. Using latest build worked. I never needed to modify mask/use for tinyxml, 2.6.2-r3 and it is fetched at some point. fortran isn't disabled (it is part of global use, but I probably could remove it). I dont know if this opens other issues.
Probably happier with C5aces comments now it works :) - Good intro.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
dev-libs/tinyxml-2.6.2-r3 
x11-libs/wxGTK gtk2

are leftovers from a previous version of Codeblocks.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package.use does get filled with lot of stuff you don't need forever :)
While codeblocks runs and help plugin seems to be there, I'm still having some issues getting help in per function. I expect to see some kind of entry by right clicking fx gtk and qt calls. I know I could probably look it all up with Google in a web browser, but I'm looking for a more local option (and easier way to get to know the calls.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the html documentation of the glibc and use Firefox to lookup functions.
In addition, I compiled glibc with debug information by creating:

/etc/portage/env/debugsyms:
Code:
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ggdb"
CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -ggdb"
FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug compressdebug -nostrip"
USE="debug"

/etc/portage/env/installsources:
Code:
FEATURES="${FEATURES} installsources"

When debugging, this lets me step into library functions. Very hande is placing the mouse pointer over a function name. This displays the function declaration next to the mouse pointer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: