special characters in lilypond-2.19.* are not printed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: special characters in lilypond-2.19.* are not printed Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

is anyone using lilypond 2.19.*? I do now and for some reason it has stopped rendering "special characters" like äöüßé and the like, instead
giving me question marks (quite literally but also figuratively :? :?:). I've tried a lot but can't come up with a decent solution.

Of course, I'm using utf-encoded files. In fact, they rendered correctly using lilypond 2.18.2.
So here's a really simple example for you to try. Please tell we if this works for you. Also, I'd be delighted for any clues what I might be missing.

Code:
\version "2.19.80"

german = \lyricmode {
  Ä Ü Ö ä ü ö ß
}

\relative c' {
  c4 d e f g f e
}
\addlyrics { \german }

The output for the text beneath the notes on my machine is "?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??".
trent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I found the reason. lilypond-2.19.* together with guile-2 is pretty unstable still. It can be run with guile-1.8, however other packages on my machine demand guile-2.
There is a branch "guile-v2-work" in the lilypond git repository which has a lot of commits to make it work. Cherry picking all commits I found fitting I finally made 2.19.80 work with German umlaute.
I really would like to know if anyone else using lilypond 2.19.80 with guile-2 has the same problem as me, so please give it a try with the above example, trying the above code is only a matter of a minute.
I would then file a bug report against lilypond at bugs.gentoo.
I'm not into this but having guile-1.8 and guile-2 installed slotted at the same time might solve this -- if there were slotted guile packages.
So people running 2.19.* with guile-2 using utf-8 with 2-byte-characters should rather install the guile-v2-work-branch from the lilypond repository than from portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: