Lazarus compiles but stopped running
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Lazarus compiles but stopped running Reply with quote

When I originally installed Gentoo. One of the packages I installed was Lazarus (Free Pascal Compiler that simulates Delphi behavior). It used to be Intel and PPC, but I think they are slacking on PPC now (pity). I needed it for work at the time. I recently tried to fire up Lazarus, but it fails trying to start the GUI. Initially Lazarus tells me it is using some defaults (no config files). It shows splash and a window for setting some default paths (Lazarus, Compiler, FPC sources, Make and Debugger). According to the dialog these checks out OK. Pressing the Start IDE ends the process with the following tail to the text output in the terminal (user). I tried as root also.

Code:
NOTE: help options config file not found - using defaults
Hint: (lazarus) [TMainIDE.Destroy]
Hint: (lazarus) [TMainIDE.Destroy] B  -> inherited Destroy... TMainIDE
Hint: (lazarus) [TMainIDE.Destroy] END
[FORMS.PP] ExceptionOccurred
  Sender=EAccessViolation
  Exception=Access violation
  Stack trace:
  $B670E5DF
TApplication.HandleException Access violation
  Stack trace:
  $B670E5DF

I know I could include more information, but I'd rather add information as needed. Maybe this is a known problem. I tried adding "minimal" use flag, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't think the error is limited to x86, Linux/Gentoo or the Lazarus version. I have simply run out of ideas. Before I take the problem to the Lazarus forum I want to make sure the issue isn't solvable from this forum. Internet search will show similar problems elsewhere, but no clear solution. Not even sure my snap helps, it basicly just tells me that a form close with an exception (Could be from dialog closing).
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing/renaming ~/.lazarus directory and restarting.
If it does not help then update it, redo and report bug at bugs.freepascal.org
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MageSlayer wrote:
Try removing/renaming ~/.lazarus directory and restarting.
If it does not help then update it, redo and report bug at bugs.freepascal.org

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm pretty sure I done this before, but here I went again

Checked my Lazarus version.

* dev-lang/lazarus
Latest version available: 1.6.4
Latest version installed: 1.6.4

Ran these commands

rm -fr .lazarus
sudo rm -fr /root/.lazarus

Updated @world with emerge

Currently workin through some compiler errors from anoth package, my system is running with newest packages, so the changes in gcc does throw a bit of errors. Currently I think it is pointer issues from constant strings. Modern gcc is just very intollerant so allow for some time here. :)
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that fpc/Lazarus installations do not benefit from _any_ world updates (except obvious gtk+, binutils, gdb).
FPC devs run it as autonomously as possible (even glibc is not necessary).
YMMV, though.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right about world updates, don't remember why I needed to do a world emerge, but a system should be able to upgrade once in a while.
Anyway, I updated world and got rid of errors. I unmerged lazarus and fpc, deleted ~/.lazarus (all users) also looked for config files in etc. reemerged lazarus. Also tried reemerging after deleting /var/tmp/dev-lang/lazarus* (think that was the path). I am still seeing an error like before. Any flags or combination of flags known to be incompatible with lazarus? I'm using xfce4 as desktop.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a long time since I posted this. Issue is still there. I know the user source directory is missing from my users directory. I am using xfce4 which might be causing the problem somehow or maybe the system is just too custom. When Lazarus starts it shows a window that just show all tools are there. The errors still doesn't seem to tell me what is actually wrong, just saying something about exception raised by TMainIDE access violation without even showing the Lazarus IDE. Maybe I should look over some requirements of Lazarus. I think the main window might just raise something if it doesn't understand what it sees Ran it when it first was installed, I rhink it might have been on KDE4. Anyway thanks to the people that tried helping.
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth supplying all of the console log, because lazarus is quite chatty about what it's doing and it's only about 100 actual lines. Delete ~/.lazarus and run lazarus from the command line as a normal user
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you build Lazarus in your $HOME somewhere and launch it? I had to do something similar around the time of Lazarus 1.4. I am not entirely sure why, I could never get it working in Portage even after looking at the ebuild. It seems like sometimes the packaging that ebuild authors do is not comprehensive (through no fault of their own, usually) and causes subtle breakage.

The Lazarus and FPC developers are unusually active as of late, so it is likely they will respond to your report. You should also ask about PPC support, but it may be one person who was helping who left. It might also not be.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
Can you build Lazarus in your $HOME somewhere and launch it? I had to do something similar around the time of Lazarus 1.4. I am not entirely sure why, I could never get it working in Portage even after looking at the ebuild. It seems like sometimes the packaging that ebuild authors do is not comprehensive (through no fault of their own, usually) and causes subtle breakage.

The Lazarus and FPC developers are unusually active as of late, so it is likely they will respond to your report. You should also ask about PPC support, but it may be one person who was helping who left. It might also not be.

I haven't been to this thread for a while, but thanks, I might try this. This machine is a "bit" old and one of the last that was 32 bit only I guess (little opposite a AMD64 that I also "Gentooed". Even considering doing it with the rest of the Windows machines as I find drivers more troublesome than ever after Windows 8.1. No offence Microsoft, but you keep killing old machines, so why should we even try when we got Gentoo and wine.

I can add: Found that many people on the Lazarus forum complain about compiled programs failing on systems with glib2 > 2.39 and gtk2 = 2.24.23 (yeah posts are old).. Since my Gentoo's Lazarus is compiled and I'm using dev-libs/glib-2.53..2 and gtk is 3.22.26. I guess I'll drop Lazarus for now. Hopefully they will catch up. Afaik they are working on gtk3.
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again taken some for other projects.

glib above 2.39 and gtk2 some of the later versions (thnk numbering have changed, but says 2.24.23 in my comment) are definitely the problem. Too bad since Gentoo and other distributions are well beyond thst. Eventually I hope lazarus to catch up, but it have a long way to go.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: