cool-retro-term glitches
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oreo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: cool-retro-term glitches Reply with quote

Stuff: Wayland, kde, openrc, sddm, eudev, qt

Issue: The menu bar for the application is very glitchy. Long story short I am unable to edit any settings for the application. Another problem is that going full screen results in some very weird bugs. The actual application seems to work fine other than those issues.

I'm guessing the culprit is wayland, but I'm not sure and I'd like to have a more comprehensive understanding of what is going on here than "probably wayland." Mainly, I'm just asking for direction on where to begin when debugging Qt applications.

I don't know if the common solution to problems like these on this forum is "use X11", but if so: No, I'm not going to switch back. :D Wayland loads faster and is a lot lighter than X.

-oreo
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The actual application seems to work fine other than those issues.

This is typically true about anything and everything.

Quote:
I don't know if the common solution to problems like these on this forum is "use X11", but if so: No, I'm not going to switch back.

I agree that this should not be an acceptable answer on this forum, but I have seen it...besides when someone has explained that the problem is with some software specifically, in this case to Wayland/qt that would mean changing applications or suggesting that you switch over to X11 is sort of (a) pointless and unnecessary and (b) also not simply done.

Here's some things to try but keep in mind this advice is not based on personal similar experience just some tips to get you the help that your after:
1) We need to see some debug information, which can be tricky at times since the application which is failing may not have records or logs, but what you can do is either to turn that feature on, which works differently for different applications, or you can try doing some more work at capturing that information, or even just starting the program from the command line, which gives you many more options for how to debug the situation
2) In its simplest form if you try running the application from a terminal (command line) that may lead to some helpful output produced at the time of the event.

Let me know if this seemed to help?
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've a similar bunch of stuff on my boxes. Variously I've been able to use wayland and not over the last few months. When wayland worked, it mostly was fine, but occasionally would crash my desktop; when it doesn't, I simply can't get past sddm. Whatever. Anyway, another possibility to blame is your video driver. It may be worth trying say simple frame buffers and see if that makes your issue go away. In support of this possibility, I note that I've not seen that particular issue when running wayland, so it may be machine-dependent.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: