Profiles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dendro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Profiles Reply with quote

Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm? I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.

On another note. I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, profiles are a convenience geared for specific purposes, not a requirement. If you'd rather specify your own use flags all the way, there's no need to set a profile other than the default.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm?
profiles are provided by the developers to make life easier for the user. They are a set of USE flags which should support reaching an operational configuation that supports the result suggested by the profile title. The profile USE flags are modified in turn by the USE=" " entry in /etc/portage/make.conf (globally) and the entries in /etc/portage/package.use (per package). This ability to modify the profile allows tailoring to your needs and desires. Changed USE flags (whether by changing profile or by ediing make.conf or by editing package.use) are made effective by runninng emerge -uND world (emerge --update --newuse --deep @world).
you wrote:
I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.
Exactly what profile might that be (by number or by name as in the eselect profile list, please)?
you wrote:
I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
You reinstalled? If so the reinstall may well have included building a new kernel from source, namely gentoo-sources-4.18.1-r1.
dendro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
you wrote:
Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm?
profiles are provided by the developers to make life easier for the user. They are a set of USE flags which should support reaching an operational configuation that supports the result suggested by the profile title. The profile USE flags are modified in turn by the USE=" " entry in /etc/portage/make.conf (globally) and the entries in /etc/portage/package.use (per package). This ability to modify the profile allows tailoring to your needs and desires. Changed USE flags (whether by changing profile or by ediing make.conf or by editing package.use) are made effective by runninng emerge -uND world (emerge --update --newuse --deep @world).
you wrote:
I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.
Exactly what profile might that be (by number or by name as in the eselect profile list, please)?
you wrote:
I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
You reinstalled? If so the reinstall may well have included building a new kernel from source, namely gentoo-sources-4.18.1-r1.

I used
Code:
 [12]  default/linux/amd64/17.0 (stable)
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sound base. Add packages and USE flags as you desire. You reported elsewhere installing X and i3wm. Is that working to your satisfaction?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: