Sudden flurry of (stable) kernel updates
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Sudden flurry of (stable) kernel updates Reply with quote

It seems like yesterday that we were stuck on 4.9.76-r1 for months, no retpoline (and for me personally, no workaround for my buggy BIOS/DSDT tables that was introduced in later kernel releases). We then finally got 4.9.95 stabilised and not too long afterwards 4.14.52 was marked stable. And all was good in the world.
Except for the past week or so where we've been getting almost daily kernel sources updates in the stable branch; in fact, as of writing this, gentoo-sources is up to date with kernel.org's latest 4.14 release (and 4.9 is not far behind)!

My question: is this the new standard, immediately stabilising whatever gets released (in the LTS branch)? If so, is there any point to keeping up with the latest releases? I've compiled 4.14.63-r1 just yesterday, I wake up today and yay, new kernel release! Am I safe in just masking anything above that for a couple of months? Is there any changelog I can follow so I can decide which versions are worth (to me) upgrading to?

You know, kernel updates are like Christmas; they were exciting when they came once a year but get tiring and lose their charm really quickly when they come every day. :P

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have follow-up fixes to the latest round of security fixes (l1tf), very relevant to intel CPUs. I would upgrade immediately on Intel and queue an upgrade at some point for AMD when things calm down (say in a week, not more).
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
They have follow-up fixes to the latest round of security fixes (l1tf), very relevant to intel CPUs. I would upgrade immediately on Intel and queue an upgrade at some point for AMD when things calm down (say in a week, not more).

By Intel CPUs you mean only recent-ish (Nehalem onwards), right? The L1TF Intel SA lists only those and since the machine I had in mind with my post has an ancient (by today's standards) Dothan Pentium M, I assume I'm not in any immediate need of the new fixes.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
as root?
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline

# uname -r
4.14.63-gentoo-r1

# gcc-config -l
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-7.3.0 *

# LANG="C" lscpu
Architecture:        i686
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              1
On-line CPU(s) list: 0
Thread(s) per core:  1
Core(s) per socket:  1
Socket(s):           1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               13
Model name:          Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz
Stepping:            8
CPU MHz:             800.000
CPU max MHz:         2133.0000
CPU min MHz:         800.0000
BogoMIPS:            1596.51
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx bts cpuid est tm2

Huh... I was under the impression that everything post P6 was vulnerable but looking it up now it looks like P6-based processors are too. Nevertheless, I also thought Meltdown was mitigated by retpoline or other patches back around the start of the year when the vulns were first disclosed.
Advice on mitigations? What did I do wrong?

EDIT: Added lscpu output.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcih wrote:
Nevertheless, I also thought Meltdown was mitigated by retpoline or other patches back around the start of the year when the vulns were first disclosed.

Retpoline is used for mitigating spectre_v2 and nothing else. The PTI (page-table isolation) patch is used for mitigating meltdown but only on 64-bit systems. 32-bit systems have been ignored for along time but it looks like they will get PTI support in kernel 4.19.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.19-PTI-x86-32-Lands

Marcih wrote:
What did I do wrong?

Your system is very old. If it's vulnerable it probably don't have the needed microcode updates to fully mitigate l1tf, spec_store_bypass and spectre_v2. There isn't much you can do about that.
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tholin wrote:
Retpoline is used for mitigating spectre_v2 and nothing else. The PTI (page-table isolation) patch is used for mitigating meltdown but only on 64-bit systems. 32-bit systems have been ignored for along time but it looks like they will get PTI support in kernel 4.19.

Ah that was it, page-table isolation. Yeah I was wondering why my x86-64 system was reported to have full mitigations for all 4 (5 if you count 3a) Spectre variants and Meltdown (microcode updates were obviously released and applied for that to have been the case) but this one is pretty much swiss cheese. Hey, at least no ME...? :D
Meltdown Protection For x86 32-bit Aligned For The Linux 4.19 Kernel wrote:
With all 32-bit Intel CPUs being pre-Westmere where PCID (Process Context Identifiers) was introduced that helps with offseting the KPTI performance impact, the performance cost of (K)PTI on 32-bit Linux will potentially be quite high.

Well that sounds absolutely delightful, it's not like it's been a pain up 'til now to compile bigger packages (and my system is pretty minimal mind you, the packages that take the longest to compile are system packages like clang or llvm). :roll:
tholin wrote:
Your system is very old. If it's vulnerable it probably don't have the needed microcode updates to fully mitigate l1tf, spec_store_bypass and spectre_v2. There isn't much you can do about that.

I never even dreamed of getting ucode updates from Intel, it was a miracle they had support as far back as Sandy Bridge (and even further? Nehalem? Penryn? Core?! The sky's the limit!). I was rather hoping for partial mitigations done by the kernel.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: