Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
Can Stewart save a franchise which seems to have been in its death throws for 20 years?
I don't think he will have the time between naps and diaper changes.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
cokey wrote:
Can Stewart save a franchise which seems to have been in its death throws for 20 years?
I don't think he will have the time between naps and diaper changes.
Thank you Reichsmarschall von Old School, Patrick Stewart promises not to spit on you during sex tonight :P
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Stewart is gay.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Patrick Stewart is gay.

He's not gay. It's a habit. An addiction. He can be cured!
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Patrick Stewart is gay.

Indeed, he always looks really happy.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
Can Stewart save a franchise
No. Whether or not it can be revived has nothing to do with his (in)abilities. Writing and executive decisions on canon, etc. will dictate the outcome.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:
No. Whether or not it can be revived has nothing to do with his (in)abilities. Writing and executive decisions on canon, etc. will dictate the outcome.

Yep, and currently the show is Patrick Stewart surrounded by corporate types, sycophants, and hacks.
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:

Yep, and currently the show is Patrick Stewart surrounded by corporate types, sycophants, and hacks.

I'm hoping that he is old enough and wise enough to know what his fans want, he also doesn't need the money. He originally turned the project down. All of that leads me to believe that he is the one with the authority in this project, which is a good thing.

Will it be TNG? Of course not but, I'm not expecting it to be. If he can take it back towards any resembling 80's/90's Trek then it will be popular and that will be the direction they go in from now on if they want to keep making money.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
Morality124 wrote:
pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:

I'm hoping that he is old enough and wise enough to know what his fans want, he also doesn't need the money. He originally turned the project down. All of that leads me to believe that he is the one with the authority in this project, which is a good thing.

Will it be TNG? Of course not but, I'm not expecting it to be. If he can take it back towards any resembling 80's/90's Trek then it will be popular and that will be the direction they go in from now on if they want to keep making money.
If he can bring a 'Logan' quality to it then I see it doing well. Younger people with no experience of the previous series' will appreciate it, although it may polarise some older viewers.

I wonder which other series writers they'll use.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:
Morality124 wrote:
pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:

If he can bring a 'Logan' quality to it then I see it doing well. Younger people with no experience of the previous series' will appreciate it, although it may polarise some older viewers.

I wonder which other series writers they'll use.

The problem I think it isn't money - instead it's the worrying, PC-esque things Stewart is saying, like saying this show is needed "living in this day and age", "in the times we find ourselves" (can't recall the exact quote but it was in that vein). Considering the awkward PC crap injected into STD, the last thing we need is a preachy AND "for the money" show.
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
The problem I think it isn't money - instead it's the worrying, PC-esque things Stewart is saying, like saying this show is needed "living in this day and age", "in the times we find ourselves" (can't recall the exact quote but it was in that vein). Considering the awkward PC crap injected into STD, the last thing we need is a preachy AND "for the money" show.

The thing is, these shows dont generate any money. They inject all this PC shit into the series and it just turns people off. That's why STD is failing, because people aren't watching it. I mean. lets be honest, Star Trek has always been on the more liberal end of the scale but it was never obnoxious about it like today.

The pendulum is swinging though, just look at the new Doom trailer. Once companies realise they can monitize SJW outrage then that will become the norm.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
The thing is, these shows dont generate any money. They inject all this PC shit into the series and it just turns people off. That's why STD is failing, because people aren't watching it. I mean. lets be honest, Star Trek has always been on the more liberal end of the scale but it was never obnoxious about it like today.

I agree that in practice these shows don't make money - and that's the paradox. Because while the studio injects this proven unpopular, sales-reducing, preachy PC/SJW crap into the show, they ALSO still use the same mass-appeal methods (cliche plots and awful, dumbed-down writing, flashy special effects) as the JJTrek movies and copy/outright rip-off aspects of more popular serialized shows (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Batlestar Galactica).
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:

I agree that in practice these shows don't make money - and that's the paradox. Because while the studio injects this proven unpopular, sales-reducing, preachy PC/SJW crap into the show, they ALSO still use the same mass-appeal methods (cliche plots and awful, dumbed-down writing, flashy special effects) as the JJTrek movies and copy/outright rip-off aspects of more popular serialized shows (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Batlestar Galactica).

I honestly dont know how to reply to your statement because I haven't seen any of the recent Star Trek movies, Isaw the trailers and decided they looked like trash so I haven't seen any movie since Nemesis (which I like). I like everything TNG.

Bringing back classic characters, does not a classic make. Neither does being pretentious. Year on year these franchises are losing more money on this BS, the same as video games. With something like Trek, eventually fans will take over from the big name directors and the series will be a success, its too big to kill off (no matter how hard they try).
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I honestly dont know how to reply to your statement because I haven't seen any of the recent Star Trek movies, Isaw the trailers and decided they looked like trash so I haven't seen any movie since Nemesis (which I like). I like everything TNG.

The point I was getting across was that CBS is simultaneous inserting preachy, unpopular SJW/PC elements into STD while at the same going for the most mass-appeal, derivative, lowest-common-denominator, pandering crap.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
Morality124 wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:

Bringing back classic characters, does not a classic make. Neither does being pretentious. Year on year these franchises are losing more money on this BS, the same as video games. With something like Trek, eventually fans will take over from the big name directors and the series will be a success, its too big to kill off (no matter how hard they try).
I don't know why people didn't like Nemesis, the Reman thread was a great idea.

The beginning was cringe-worthy though
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: