Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is package-manager an internal portage eclass?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oreo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Is package-manager an internal portage eclass? Reply with quote

I have come across an eselect module with the line:
Code:
inherit package-manager

Assuming that eselect modules work similarly to portage ebuilds, that line should pull in an eclass somewhere. (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/using-eclasses/index.html for anyone who isn't aware.) I have looked in the normal places for elcasses and found nothing. I have also done "find -name '*package-manager*"' from root and found nothing. What is it? Is it some sort of portage internal eclass? Is this an invalid line of code? If so, why am I not receiving errors? Is eselect entirely separate from portage? (Does the inherent function do something else in eselect modules.) They are separate packages after all.

Sidenote: If there is any documentation on eselect modules, could someone please point me in the right direction? :D

I'm guessing this will be one of those questions that no one knows the answer to, but I thought I'd ask it anyways.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because eselect modules and ebuilds use the same function names doesn't mean they're doing the same thing. It wouldn't make any sense for an eselect module to inherit an (ebuild) eclass.
You can find some documentation at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Eselect/Developer_guide
oreo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!

Yes, I am aware that same function names do not indicate they work the same, hence my question.

Quote:
t wouldn't make any sense for an eselect module to inherit an (ebuild) eclass.

Didn't think of it that way... :D That makes sense I guess.

Thank you very much! First question I've had answered on the forum. And thanks for the link. Shouldn't that be in the dev manual? It would make more sense to me at least.
oreo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol they're in /usr/share/eselect/lib... Right next to the modules. Can't believe I didn't notice that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: