Celestia issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Celestia issues Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to post this; please shout if I should move this somewhere else, but it seemed like the closest fit:

OpenGL is working fine on my system -- Steam games, glxgears, glxinfo (reports NVIDIA vendor, so all good). I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers=396.51 from official gentoo sources.

Today I installed Celestia so my son could check it out. The app shows the splash screen, then exits. From a console, I get a little more info by running:
Code:

# LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose celestia
libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/daf/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/daf/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
*** Cannot find the double-buffered visual.
*** Trying single-buffered visual.
*** No appropriate OpenGL-capable visual found.

Everything my google-fu has brought me suggests that I should get this error for anything attempting to use opengl if I'm getting it for one. The mentioned .so files under /usr/lib64 exist. I apparently have the correct opengl selected:
Code:

# eselect opengl list
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11

As far as I can tell, Celestia should just run; yet stubbornly, it refuses to. Any help appreciated.
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(update) I can work around this by changing /usr/lib64/libGL.so and /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 to point at nvidia's libGL.so (they were pointing at mesa's) -- the question is: shouldn't
Code:
eselect opengl set
be doing this? Or is there a another better (more official) way to do this? And what repercussions can I face by manualy fiddling with these two links?
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davydm wrote:
(update) I can work around this by changing /usr/lib64/libGL.so and /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 to point at nvidia's libGL.so (they were pointing at mesa's) -- the question is: shouldn't
Code:
eselect opengl set
be doing this? Or is there a another better (more official) way to do this? And what repercussions can I face by manualy fiddling with these two links?

You ever get it to work?

Have similar issues here, and I know it used to work in the past.

Am using Nvidia.

Thanks, Ian
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
davydm wrote:
Code:
eselect opengl set

You ever get it to work?

Have similar issues here, and I know it used to work in the past.

Am using Nvidia.

Thanks, Ian

No, unfortunately not. I had good intentions of filing a bug against the package, and forgot about it. However, I have filed a bug now: https://bugs.gentoo.org/681732
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: