Wine variants for gaming system [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Wine variants for gaming system [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Is wine staging set of patches compatible alongside with the d3d9 patchset? I've only ever used staging, but I'm seriously considering flipping over to the d3d9 repo since that one claims to be a gaming one.

My main use for wine as of late is just playing games. I used to like working on Microsoft Word and Excel from it, but now that I have a dual boot windows laptop that really takes the fun out of having Office working on my linux boxes.

So could someone please advise how to get the most out of wine for gaming? And what installation method is preferred (i.e. variants for d3d9 versus other repos effect on the gaming performance for the system)

I am working in a x86 installation of gentoo on a fairly powerful desktop box (other than processor which is sort of weak Pentium IV but everything else is strong 16GB RAM and dedicated high performance Nvidia GPU)

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

You can have both via 'wine-any', or/and have versions of 'wine-staging' and 'wine-d3d9' installed and test things for yourself (really the only way to know for sure what works the best for you, I believe).

Regarding 'd3d9' though, it would require the nouveau driver for nvidia hardware, which is great for some things, but still lacking on others, and unfortunately the proprietary nvidia-drivers is still the way to go for most games.

For newer titles using DirectX 11/12, there are the 'vkd3d' and 'vulkan' USE-flags, though I haven't really looked around just how usable they are at this time.

For a lot of titles in general, having more CPU power will be more important than GPU or RAM, but it all depends on what the "$title" is of course. :]
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using staging, and it is able to run dx11 game, so i suppose dx9 would too.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot just how much work I put into the wine install with portage back in November for it to work...looks like I'm running into some other potentially issues with that again now.

So far I was successfully able to install wine-any, and uninstall, but unable to install the wine-staging package, which may have something to do with the wrong command for emerge. IDK. So now I am trying wine-vanilla.

If it installs correctly then I will re-attempt the wine-staging and maybe post info here if it doesn't build. Some typical weird stuff with the build process involving this software...

By the way, is there some better recommendation for WINE_COMMIT variables then what is shown in the wine wiki page,

I believe when I last successfully had wine-staging on the system and everything worked fine it was a command similar to this one, which specifies the 2.0 version,

Quote:
WINE_COMMIT="wine-2.0-rc5" STAGING_COMMIT="v2.0-rc5" emerge -av '=app-emulation/wine-staging-9999'
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should help a bunch if you included some more information about what is going wrong exactly (build logs for failed builds and so forth).

If you're always using the live, 9999 versions, it's no wonder if something breaks /especially/ with regards to Staging.

For normal use, I'd definitely recommend not using those, since we have releases in Portage as well (for example 3.13 being the latest at the time of writing).

Did I mention that Staging 9999 breaks pretty often yet? :]

Also, the intended way for using the slotted Wine packaging, is to emerge 'virtual/wine' instead of the individual packages.

See: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine:_New_Packaging

(I really need to merge that with the main article... soon.)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i will include it in my next post. But at least installation of virtual/wine did the job and if i recall correctly the failed installations for 2 out of the 4 packages, including wine-vanilla.

But i will try again and post build log for that. I am a power user in my own mind ;) So that is why i would probably prefer t be on staging in general. Thanks and great wiki article. Could maybe clarify somewhere else towards the end or bottom to reiterate the point about using the virtual as the installer in case of build problems. I think repitition is good for stuff like that!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the virtual shouldn't really mean yes or no for build problems, those must be something else.

What the virtual does to, is satisfy dependencies and allow for selecting the flavour of Wine via the USE-flags (of course one can still install the flavours they want directly too).
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE (EDIT): By the way thanks for the help yesterday and please do not take my suggestion as advice it is merely a suggestion that's it if you feel it doesn't help then no need to explain further.

Also, my question at the bottom is better asked in these terms....Among the different packages relating to wine, not just the variants that are staging, d3d9, vanilla or what have you but also the many other packages like mono, desktop and more, in what way do these packages all relate back to one another? I would assume the answer depends on the selection of packages here, such as variants not really overlapping since they are meant to be separate in a sense correct? But can different variant wine installations share the same non-variant packages for things like .NET and other libraries such as dX (d3d9) and what have you? Also would be interested to know if there is a good link for package development so I can read a bit more about how it is packaged for the Genoo operating system, and compare that to other implementations either for Gentoo (overlays or just building from source)....as well as some other possible avenues such as since the fact I am already running it in a chroot would it make any further sense to be considering a change to the chroot system so that packages are more aligned with what the people at Wine headquarters are up to...

I ask a lot of questions :^)

From earlier edit:
Yes I understand that the virtual is more about resolving the dependencies (I just think that point could be made a bit clearer somewhere on the wiki...although this is not specific to just your page and i would suspect you are of course trying to write less words overall so that can limit your options on what to include anyway I just thought it would make for a helpful tip like....IF you are unable to correctly begin the merge process then make sure you have also given emerge --ask virtual/wine a try...or something to that effect...not a big deal though).

Actually so as a result of the 2 successful builds one that was with wine-any and the other using the virtual package to pull in vanilla, here is the oddball state that it is in terms of at the moment... Note: The way that I got to these packages was what is odd, I installed wine-any first, then depcleaned/unmerged it and was left with several of the packages below. Then after several failed attempts to build wine-staging, I successfully built virtual/wine as I mentioned so I now have the following installed packages on my system...if I run depclean there is nothing in the sets of chroot that Portage says can be removed, so I assume that wine-vanilla with the use flags (see below) wants all this stuff...
Code:

playboy ~ # qlist -I wine
app-emulation/wine-desktop-common
app-emulation/wine-gecko
app-emulation/wine-mono
app-emulation/wine-vanilla
app-eselect/eselect-wine
virtual/wine

Quote:
playboy ~ # emerge -pv wine-vanilla

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R *] app-emulation/wine-vanilla-9999:9999::gentoo USE="X alsa cups fontconfig gecko jpeg lcms ldap mono mp3 ncurses nls opengl perl png realtime run-exes sdl ssl threads truetype udev udisks xcomposite xml -capi -custom-cflags -dos -gphoto2 -gsm -gssapi -gstreamer -kerberos -netapi -odbc -openal -opencl -osmesa -oss -pcap -prelink -pulseaudio -samba -scanner (-selinux) {-test} -v4l (-vkd3d) (-vulkan) -xinerama" 0 KiB

I do not have the build logs for the entire failed processes (I had to delete some space to make room since I was running out of space which possibly could be related to the issue with the failed builds, I don't know.) But now with the more complete story about which packages, here is the emerge.log which probably doesn't help that shows the failed builds which suddenly began working successfully after I changed my emerge command to tell portage merge the virtual wine package...
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/NaujCJGtStZxCrbw5FKN/

Just have to take my word for it that was all that changed, and scroll to the bottom of the file if you want to look at the commands passed to emerge (for wine starting on August 15 only is where it was failing I think not totally sure about that last fact though).

Now I will attempt a second instance of wine-staging and hopefully it will build correct.

Quiestion: How do different wine packages if installed simultaneously make use of the same dependencies, like are the general packaging for wine separated so that they essentially make homogeneous parts of the entirety of all packages?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Help with diagnosing the build error from build.log Reply with quote

Failed build attempt for wine-staging...this sort of makes me wonder if I removed all those packages relating to wine and tried again would it work. However I am of the thought that an installed and working version of wine also doesn't seem like a likely problem. Could someone please take a look at the build log and offer some help please I will also search around as soon as I get done with another laptop that I am working on to get touchscreen working right now. Thanks!

build log: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/ehKyRU3yYoMkJh5h5pPI/

EDIT: Fonts? Why can't it open the fonts...
Quote:
make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-staging-9999/work/wine-9999-abi_x86_32.x86/fonts'
../tools/sfnt2fon/sfnt2fon -o coue1255.fon /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-staging-9999/work/wine-9999/fonts/courier.ttf -d 128 13,1255,8
Error: Cannot open face /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-staging-9999/work/wine-9999/fonts/courier.ttf

environment: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/wXfj3qGewcGXfw2Mag99/

emerge -pqv '=app-emulation/wine-staging-9999::gentoo'

Code:
playboy / # emerge -pqv '=app-emulation/wine-staging-9999::gentoo'
[ebuild  N    ] app-emulation/wine-staging-9999  USE="X alsa cups fontconfig gecko jpeg lcms ldap mono mp3 ncurses nls opengl perl png realtime run-exes sdl ssl (staging) threads truetype udev udisks xcomposite xml -capi -custom-cflags -dos (-ffmpeg) -gphoto2 -gsm -gssapi -gstreamer -kerberos -netapi -odbc -openal -opencl -osmesa -oss -pcap -pipelight -prelink -pulseaudio -samba -scanner (-selinux) {-test} -themes -v4l -vaapi (-vkd3d) (-vulkan) -xinerama"

emerge --info '=app-emulation/wine-staging-9999::gentoo'

Code:

playboy / # emerge --info '=app-emulation/wine-staging-9999::gentoo'
Portage 2.3.40 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop, gcc-6.4.0, glibc-2.26-r7, 4.14.61-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.14.61-gentoo-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_CPU_G2120_@_3.10GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:     8096908 total,    351732 free
KiB Swap:     524284 total,    521724 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 06:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: fcdde22155ec143fc82159b946a43e24785eb880
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.30 p2) 2.30.0
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.3-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo, 3.6.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.30-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo, 7.3.0-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r3::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.26-r7::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1

steam-overlay
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 50

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -pipe"
DISTDIR="/home/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds readline sdl seccomp spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 x86 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="32" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon plan sheets stage words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5 postgres10" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22 ruby23" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to downgrade freetype package after google search for the error in the build log brought me to another thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1069360-start-0.html
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And SOLVED after downgrading fonts...so when this bug already exists is there anything needs to be done further or just move on and wait for package maintainer to have a chance to fix?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can have both via 'wine-any', or/and have versions of 'wine-staging' and 'wine-d3d9' installed and test things for yourself (

Sorry to rehash your quote from early in the thread, but does this specifically not include vanilla, because the use of one of the other variants, specifically does away with the need for that one. In other words, I assume that the reason you didn't say you can try wine-staging with wine-vanilla is because really you cant. Please clarify thanks.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Quote:
You can have both via 'wine-any', or/and have versions of 'wine-staging' and 'wine-d3d9' installed and test things for yourself (

Sorry to rehash your quote from early in the thread, but does this specifically not include vanilla, because the use of one of the other variants, specifically does away with the need for that one. In other words, I assume that the reason you didn't say you can try wine-staging with wine-vanilla is because really you cant. Please clarify thanks.

No sorries.

I simply forgot to include Vanilla there, so apologies for that. :]

The FreeType related bug should be fixed as far as I remember (I have '2.9.1-r4' currently), and my guess is that you're hitting it due to using the 9999 version to build an older release without the fix in it (and it's not patched in tree due to 9999 being 9999).

The different flavours use the same dependencies as far as it is possible for them to do so.

There is no specific documentation on how we package Wine, aside from the wikki articles and, of course, the ebuilds themselves.

If you wanted to align with what the WineHQ is up to, then Vanilla would probably be your best bet, though Staging is officially supported there nowadays as well.

I can't really comment on your chroot set-up, as I have never done anything like that myself.

I hope I caught at least most of the questions. I think I managed to forget that I was going to reply to these 'later "$that-day"', so sorry for the delay, and I hope this helps! :]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: