qt4-r2 eclass is gone, what to do?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: qt4-r2 eclass is gone, what to do? Reply with quote

I have several ebuilds using the not defunt qt4-r2 eclass. What can I do in order to install these software? Any pointer would be appreciated.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several options:

1) Copy qt4-r2.eclass from gentoo.git history or kde-sunset.git into your local overlay (very easy)
2) Add kde-sunset overlay, since you will be missing all of Qt4 as well (and that's where it resides now)
3) Port away your ebuilds from qt4-r2.eclass (it was already deprecated way before Qt4 removal) which is relatively trivial
4) Check if you really need those ebuilds or if they have upgrades or alternatives for Qt5 available
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
You have several options:

1) Copy qt4-r2.eclass from gentoo.git history or kde-sunset.git into your local overlay (very easy)
2) Add kde-sunset overlay, since you will be missing all of Qt4 as well (and that's where it resides now)
3) Port away your ebuilds from qt4-r2.eclass (it was already deprecated way before Qt4 removal) which is relatively trivial
4) Check if you really need those ebuilds or if they have upgrades or alternatives for Qt5 available

Thanks, I will do 2) for now and do 3) and 4) later. For 3), I guess I can directly call cmake or use one of the cmake eclass.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a personal comment, the transition from qt4/kde4 to qt5/kde5 implies the same bullshit for the users: a lot of good working applications are disappearing into the abandonware. An actual example is kguitar. It provide a guitar chords view which show all the possibilities to play a given chord. It is better for that than all the dedicated android apps I have played with and it is no alternative software on GNU/linux.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
An actual example is kguitar. It provide a guitar chords view which show all the possibilities to play a given chord.

The problem isn't the transition to qt5/plasma5, kguitar is a dead project latest news is 8 year old with ironic title "15 Mar 2010: KGuitar is not dead"...
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kguitar was removed from tree more than 9 years ago, it wasn't even ported away from Qt3/KDE3 and failed to build at the time.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Dominique_71 wrote:
An actual example is kguitar. It provide a guitar chords view which show all the possibilities to play a given chord.

The problem isn't the transition to qt5/plasma5, kguitar is a dead project latest news is 8 year old with ironic title "15 Mar 2010: KGuitar is not dead"...

I can live without it because I know how to find chords I don't know, It will just take more time to me to make arrangements of songs with unusual chords.

Fact is than kguitar is handy and its 2010 version was coded good enough to work fine with all kde4 versions. Which imply it is the qt5/kde5 migration that made it to disappear from my system. For me that's the end of the story. I don't buy the idea of software being better just because they are never. A software is better because it do its job in an effective way. The chord view of kguitar is the best I know because it is the most complete, efficace and effective of all software I try.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
Which imply it is the qt5/kde5 migration that made it to disappear from my system.

Nope, wrong as pointed out above.

But maybe you don't have to live without it: https://github.com/pavelliavonau/kguitar
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a ebuild on my overlay https://github.com/fedeliallalinea/gallifrey/tree/master/media-sound/kguitar
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: