[solved] upnp possible streaming formats
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpsollie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: [solved] upnp possible streaming formats Reply with quote

I have a gerbera upnp server running on my fileserver,
and I use ffmpeg to recode the content:
Code:

<agent command="ffmpeg" arguments='-i %in -filter_complex "[0:v][0:s:0]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a -vcodec mpeg2video -b:v 8192k -r 25 -acodec libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 1 -f dvd -threads 16 -y %out'/>

but with the current move to 1080p, this becomes a problem:
- my tv (philips ambilight 6700) only has a 100mbps connection, so I can't increase the bitrate to increase channel quality.
- I cannot stream h264 over dvd format, apparently, so I need a new container format.
- The 1080p .mkv movies are already coded in h264, so just recode them for fun would lose a lot of quality and require a good cpu.

The CPU is a 32-cpu opteron system with a VAAPI card installed, so ideally, this should be feasible.
Anyone who has ideas about how to recode the content for upnp?
this would be the ideal setup:
Code:

ffmpeg -i %in -c:v copy ...

but what about the container format? which container format is capable of being streamed with upnp and capable of playing x264?
FYI: I use VLC on the tv.

Last edited by jpsollie on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jpsollie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved: this was the correct encoder string:

Code:

-i %in -vcodec mpeg2video -q:v 2.0 -r 25 -acodec libmp3lame -b:a 192k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 1 -f dvd -threads 16 -maxrate 10MB -bufsize 8MB -y %out

The bandwidth used is more or less 25% of 100mbps network limit for 1080p movies.
On top of this, the hardware acceleration of the 6700 series seems to be buggy, so I disabled hardware acceleration and the image becomes fine. On my laptop, there's no problem with VLC
contacted Philips support to ask them why there's no hardware acceleration. I will keep you up to date

*edit: corrected some typos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: