Can't get bridging working on Sparc64 installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sndport
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Can't get bridging working on Sparc64 installation Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo 1.4 on my Ultra 60 (Sparc 64) build. I updated everything so it's all current as of yesterday. I also compiled in bridging support in the kernel and can see that the bridging module loads.

I then did an emerge bridge-utils. When I try to add a bridge though I get this:
# brctl addbr br0
br_add_bridge: Operation not supported

I noticed that bridge-utils was version 0.9.3-r1. On the web site: bridge.sourceforge.net, the version was 0.9.6. So I "unemerged" the bridge-utils, get the latest version and installed it.

Now when I try to do bridging, I get:
# brctl addbr bridge0
# brctl addif bridge0 hme0
bridge bridge0 doesn't exist!
# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
(No bridges shown)
# brctl addbr bridge0
device bridge0 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name

I have 5 hme ports on my Ultra 60 and I need bridging. I also need traffic shaping. FreeBSD panics when you turn on bridging, OpenBSD is pokey when you bridge through more than 2 ports and doesn't have sufficiently advanced traffic shaping. Linux is my last hope! Please help.

Thanks,
<> Jim
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bridge-utils-0.9.6.ebuild has only be enabled for the x86 (according to the ebuild). so i assume you installed that package directly from source? if you did that, try to edit the bridge-utils-0.9.6.ebuild and set KEYWORDS to support your architecture and try again. if that is failing as well, then submit an bug to https://bugs.gentoo.org
if this solved the problem, then submit aswell an entry to https://bugs.gentoo.org telling them, that you successfull compiled and installed that module on your architecture and kindly ask them to include your architecture to the ebuild ;)

cheers

SteveB
sndport
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Status report Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I removed the files installed by the bridge utils that I downloaded, changed the ebuild and re-emerged as you suggested. It seems to install OK, but I still have the same problems.

As you suggested I opened bugid #40182
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40182

Is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot in the mean time? I already submitted a request to join the osdl bridge list to mention the problem there. I'm also grabbing dev-util/strace. I hope that's the right one. I see there is also a sys-apps/strace that is masked.

Thanks again,
<> Jim
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else asked that question on the sparclinux mailing list just a few days ago. David Miller responded:
Quote:
Unfortunately this is not fixable, unless you rebuild your bridging tools
as 64-bit binaries.

It is nearly impossible to translate the 32-bit versions of the bridging
ioctl interfaces because they use the SIOCDEVPRIVATE ioctl numbers which
do not indicate the type that the application is passing into the handler
(and thus we don't what to translate it to/from).

Stephen Hemminger (bridge maintainer) CC'd.

Or, in plain English, the 32-bit bridge tools are passing data structures to a 64-bit kernel, and stuff is getting munged in the process.
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Status report Reply with quote

sndport wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I removed the files installed by the bridge utils that I downloaded, changed the ebuild and re-emerged as you suggested. It seems to install OK, but I still have the same problems.

If you're still chasing this, there's good news... There's an update to bridge-utils (bridge-utils-1.0.2) that works with kernel 2.6.7-rc1 on my sparc64 E450.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: