rdesktop on Raspberry Pi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: rdesktop on Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

My wife has been shopping for a small television. All we can find are 32" and larger and very few of the 32".

I got the idea of using a 22" or 24" monitor with a mini-ITX box and a TV card. The prices to build such a system kept mounting.

Then I thought of rdesktop. I already have a dual boot system with a TV card and the XP side runs SageTV from which you can watch and record. It's a full tower, rather clumsy to put in a small bedroom, but a monitor and a pi would fit easily.

My question is "Can a raspberry pi run rdesktop?" If so, I could just use the wireless keyboard to log into the XP computer (using WOL if necessary), launch SageTV, and go into full screen mode.

Isn't it weird that the world seems to be giving the choices of watching video on a tiny cell phone or a gigantic wall mounted screen with nothing in between? I read that 55* is the most popular screen size and also that millions watch on their smart phone (including my daughter).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

In the UK, you would get a HDMI stick and plug it into the display.
It picks up streamed content from your wifi.

They are about the size of a large USB stick and around £40 ... that's probably $40 to you.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Tony0945,

In the UK, you would get a HDMI stick and plug it into the display.
It picks up streamed content from your wifi.

They are about the size of a large USB stick and around £40 ... that's probably $40 to you.

I have several Firesticks and a Roku. They would do fine for OTT media, but I also want OTA media, which means some kind of tuner.

EDIT:
Maybe I'll settle for hanging a 40" on the wall. Then there is the problem of finding a decent set. A long time ago right here in Chicago we had Motorola, Zenith, and Admiral. That made us the TV capitol of the USA. I worked my way through college working on the line at Motorola. Much later, I surprised a repair man by hand converging a CRT in a friend's TV. Repairman said it couldn't be done without a pattern generator. It was a little tough with a football game on, hence plenty of motion., but I and another man did 600 sets a day on a moving conveyor belt (yes, there WAS a pattern generator). Later Sony et al took the market and Samsung and Goldstar came on their heels. Now the Japanese have abandoned the market to the Chinese. I did spot a few Samsung's still for sale. The boxes say "Manufactured in Vietnam". But that's surely an old story in the UK as well.

EDIT2:
SageTV is now opensource but only runs on Windows and Ubuntu. One problem is that you need gradle(?) to build it and I've read that Gentoo doesn't support it. I've tried to convert the build instructions into an ebuild and can get it to build but it doesn't run.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Tvheadend for reciving computer and Kodi for player. Works for me.
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
I have several Firesticks and a Roku. They would do fine for OTT media, but I also want OTA media, which means some kind of tuner.

Have you looked at HDHomeRun? You plug an antenna into it and it'll convert the signal to a network stream.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:

Have you looked at HDHomeRun? You plug an antenna into it and it'll convert the signal to a network stream.

I bought one for Christmas 2009 and gave it away years later because I couldn't get it to work with Linux. I still would need the pi, but that's OK. Do you know of any reliable tuning software for Linux?
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HDHomeRun manufacturer wrote a plugin for Kodi, which I believe is how it's mostly used: https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:HDHomeRun

My personal solution when I cut cable was to move to YoutubeTV, which turns local OTA to OTT for me. It'll work with Roku, but not with Amazon devices last I checked.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, antonlacon. I'll certainly investigate further!

Cable made sense when OTA was weak fuzzy VHF analog. Now that it's Digital UHF and better UHF antennas are available, cable makes less sense. I found that most of what I watched was OTA and my new Antenna gave a better picture than the super compressed cable did.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: