xorg-proto is causing like 30 blocks conflicts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: xorg-proto is causing like 30 blocks conflicts Reply with quote

Does anyone know why xorg-proto which is being pulled in by wine in my 32-bit chroot environment with package wine-9999 is suddenly during system/world set update dislodging and causing removal of about 30 other packages, and creating the situation of these many blocks many of which have "proto" somewhere in the name.

The final 3 on the list of blocked packages are:
Code:
[blocks B      ] <x11-proto/inputproto-2.3.2-r1 ("<x11-proto/inputproto-2.3.2-r1" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)
[blocks B      ] <x11-proto/xextproto-7.3.0-r1 ("<x11-proto/xextproto-7.3.0-r1" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)
[blocks B      ] <x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1-r2 ("<x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1-r2" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)

EDIT: The reason for these 3 being separately listed and unsatisfied since they are requirements of wine, but
The message from portage is this:
Code:
Conflict: 28 blocks (3 unsatisfied)

My goal would be to...
1) Upgrade the system and world sets for the chroot
2) Figure out if I can and should be able to install an Xorg server into the chroot environment
3) Create a x session that allows for better gaming experience within the 32-bit chroot running wine (this is for some older pc games)

UPDATE:
Package list for updates...here https://paste.pound-python.org/show/poQkIP1661iwQyutn3EA/
(emerge -DavuN --tree @world | wgetpaste )

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you last rebuild wine?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
playboy / # qlop -l wine
Wed Nov 22 02:25:45 2017 >>> app-emulation/wine-2.0
Wed Nov 22 03:33:08 2017 >>> app-emulation/wine-9999
Sat Nov 25 00:46:49 2017 >>> app-emulation/wine-9999

It would appear a while ago by now..

however I think the instructions in the wiki is what I followed for a specific staging version of wine, so I have the following version...actually installed that is.
Code:

playboy / # wine --version
wine-2.0-rc5
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't i find the exact name of the package installed only wine-9999?

EDIT: Because of the use of the environment variables at the time of installation I may not know from anything Portage related, but I assume in the logs or else somewhere in the history or else buried within the installed wine files is a clue as to the command that I used to initially install. Not that this matters, so much right?

What does it mean that the wine installation is either outdated or should I remove and reinstall it you think? After updating the rest of the system?

I'm sure there is also some way to try and update the remaining packages in the system set, maybe I will attempt using exclude right now to see where I get with that.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to rebuild wine so that it picks up the current dependencies. You may still use the same instructions to keep it at the identical version. When you last rebuilt it, it was at a totally different state, and the old deps are now gone.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds fairly reasonable. Only thing is that since it worked then (really pretty well actually) and there is no guarantee that things will work now. But I will probably have to take the leap and just update. HAve you used wine for gaming, and other stuff like that?

I hope I will not have to redo all the work of building the various libraries for runtime within the wine prefixes that I put in some significant time when installing various software like Microsoft Office or just games or what have you. That work should not have to be repeated I assume, but I'm not sure is that right?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just wondering, in case I didn't want to have to risk the problem that installing an entirely new instance of wine is going to not work the way I want it to...is there some way to just maybe have portage continue with the rest of the system set update, without those blocked packages...would I just specify them as excludes 1 by 1 for all 30 or 3 of them?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclude does not work here because the *installed* version is blocking the move to xorg-proto. You would need to change the deps of wine-9999 in /var/db/pkg/ manually if you want to avoid rebuild.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well explained. Just one more thing what is causing this "move"?

EDIT:

Also, when it comes to rebuilding wine, so I just backed up the chroot environment in case anything does not go as planned. Now would you advise to simply unmerge with depclean or some similar emerge command to remove wine first before continuing. At what point should I be able to reinstall wine is at simultaneously or after updating the system set?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depcleaning wine gave me no complaints but it only removed a single package. I forget maybe when I installed it was with oneshot.

I am running emerge --depclean now just to check this is so annoying why I hate this tool I forgot...basically it wants to eliminate my system entirely the package list for removal includes half of the chroot's packages. I realize it is my fault for using -1 with emerge so much, but now I really need to go take a close look at this 200-300 packages and select which ones are worth keeping....or save the list and then remove them all. After removing them I just hope I can install everything from there and not miss out on the configurations for anything post delete and upgrade.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmerging 93 packages

Update:
Following removal of those packages (including wine) I now have 18 blocks instead of 27...any idea why

playboy ~ # emerge -DavuN --tree @system | wgetpaste
Results: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9WVRYyR0Y5xUMlaMfirV/

I can't tell from the output from emerge if it could be packages git or polkit-gnome that are causing pull-in for conflicts the same as mentioned was the problem with wine...can/should I remove these next
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that a solution exists here in which installing the xorg-proto packages directly first and then updating system, or else what is confusing is the timing of the two things and whether or not all these updates actually require xorg-proto or are just saying that because that is how they were installed previously. Anyhow I'm tired and I'm going to sleep hopefully I will figure this out tomorrow.

EDIT: A final note I noticed that a lot of teh packages on this list have the use flag introspection which seems like it could not be important for the 32-bit chroot that is just an isolated environment for gaming. So is the use flags in various packages set locally and globally possibly also contributing to the blocked state of portage when trying to update? IDK.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Results: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9WVRYyR0Y5xUMlaMfirV/

You have only 2 real blocks:
Code:
[blocks B      ] <x11-proto/xproto-7.0.31-r1 ("<x11-proto/xproto-7.0.31-r1" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)
[blocks B      ] <x11-proto/kbproto-1.0.7-r1 ("<x11-proto/kbproto-1.0.7-r1" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)

Check if you have xproto or kbproto in your world file and remove them.

Read your news items:
Code:
* IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder about news there was one item inhad not read regarding previous wine versions going into a remote repository. With this being a chroot it isnt very active in terms of use overall of this system.

However i did run depclean on those two actual blocks and they are not in the world file anyway because inhave only been trying to update system set so far not world.

Here is the output of depclean suggesting that there are many pckages depending upon these two.

What if i unmerge anyways and then rebuild the sets??

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/ftJcbl518dA4R9hHxTOp/

UPDATE:

Asturm - thanks for helping to identify the root of the issue with those two packages. I can of course always read more about what those packages do and why they may have been included in this chroot (in which my world set only has 12 packages, and here's the stats for the rest of the chroot in terms of packages...) Just removed the two packages that you noticed were causing the blocks, but I still don't know how you identified those as the "real" blocks that is. Anyway after using --unmerge we are looking better, now the world update set will allow me to proceed, which is what I am working on now.

Looking a little closer at the 17 other blocks, the rest of them all look somehow related to the xorg-proto packages, so I interpret the output from portage here to mean that there are 2 packages and 3 atoms involved, in order to get those atoms uninstalled and reinstalled (upgraded maybe) that it cannot do the 1st package. But then why does it actually install anyway?

[ebuild N ] x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4::gentoo 483 KiB
[uninstall ] x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0-r1::gentoo
[blocks b ] <x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0-r2 ("<x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0-r2" is blocking x11-base/xorg-proto-2018.4)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: