Regarding windows operating system and linux partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Regarding windows operating system and linux partition Reply with quote

Hi, was wondering if there is anyone else out there using the windows oper system for some stuff, like I am on as a IDE for some of my generic programming projects. Anyway would like to be able to do some simple disk management and right now when I go to access the Windows disk management interface it does recognize linux disks, but not the partitions or drives on it.

I know that there is a pretty huge gap in what is offered by windows natively, and generally have had more luck accessing these files (from linux) as a share from another system running a service etierh NFS or SAMBA. But that is something i can't do when I am on the go with my laptop. I am aware there are windows applications that will allow some reading of various linux filesystems. However what I am trying to do is to get the windows disk manager, and maybe one other way of access disk information about the linux partitions on a number of usb flash drives I have. (If I can do this without access to the files in the filesystem then that would be enough. Since I do know more or less from the partition name and label what's in there.

Alternatively I may just need to use a Excel spreadsheet. That is the issue I am having and would like to know if there are tools for enhancing the windows environment for these needs. (Another good enhancement I think will be to turn off the feature that asks me to format the disk each time I put in a linux formatted drive, since actually no I do not want to erase everything and then bang my head against the wall for using windows environment).
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its for programming, why not use github/gitlab?

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment no good reason but that I am not familiar with it as a pla atform for developing on specifically... What is the developer environment like on gitlab/github is it meant for multiplatform programming? I assume so. Much of what I am programming is for the web right now, but I generally like the idea of having a more complete OS loaded like Windows, Linux or Mac to test on...does Github replace the need for that as well? What about the many other useful applications on my home operating system, of which many can interface with these small programs so that is maybe why I have gone the rou Ite of saving everything locally. But I do believe you are crrect to suggest and I will look at setting up that. Meanwhile I think I figured out a way past my problem which I just installed another linux onto the disk and I can now safely and securely access files from my linux formatted disks. The cloud seems like another good answer for this thanks bunder.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The developing environment is more of a personal preference on what you like to use. I know some people insist Visual Studio is the best IDE, others say some other IDE and/or OS; either way it is what ever which one is the best tool for the job. I'd say git is more based around team projects than multiplatform programming. The ability for multiple people work on the same project and easily combine their changes is want makes git so useful. The version control is the second most important feature, so you can easily track changes done on some file. Beyond that git by its self has little to no knowledge of various programming languages, so it doesn't do anything on that side. Though it does support, in making it easier for you to update test copies on other systems so you can easily test it (helpful when you make a separate branch to do a new feature, test that without affecting the main branch until you are ready to merge it in). One last thing to keep in mind, you do not need to keep a copy of your git tree on the web, you can easily have it on your own server. The key part is that git is not centralized in any place, github/gitlab is more of a easy repository that you can use, but in the end each git tree is it's own copy than can be connected to another to help synchronize between them.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ct85711 and recapping the advise you have,

1) IDE is a personal preference (easily debated among developers...)
2) The location of the repositories made available via github or gitlab can be local if preferred
3) The way github or gitlab works is to clone that repository and make it available elsewhere

I think that makes way better sense now, thanks.
Please feel free to correct any incorrect portions of what I just wrote.
In the meantime I think I will begin testing out some other IDEs, given the # of users and developers of closed-source Apple/Microsoft maybe there would be some nice tools from either one (more likely Apple) that could be compatible from a unix/linux standpoint. I will be sure to mention if I find one.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many longtime Vim and/or Emacs users will swear by those as good environments. They lack some of the more advanced language-specific hooks that dedicated IDEs provide, but make up for it in other ways.

Git repositories are normally self-contained. You only need to put one on a server anywhere if you want to share it with someone (or something, in the case of automated deployment systems) and putting it on that server is the best way to share it. For personal projects, where I have no intention of publishing them or collaborating with anyone, a directory under my home directory is initialized as a Git repository and that is sufficient. That lets me track old versions, maintain branches, etc. If I later decide I want to publish it, I can create a repository somewhere visible and push my changes, including all history, to that repository at that time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: