[SOLVED] open-vm-tools copy/paste does not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] open-vm-tools copy/paste does not work Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo under VmWare. Gentoo works there much faster than Kubuntu, but I have problem with installing VmWare Tools. I've tried to install the version provided by VmWare tools but it didn't want to work at all. So I've decided to go with open-vm-tools package. This worked better. At least now I have "fullscreen" mode and can use shared folders. The Copy/Paste between host and guest does not work. Also support for second monitor does not work.

There's practically no documentation for internals of open-vm-tools, so I hope maybe someone has already done some searching in this area and can share knowledge.

When I start /etc/init.d/vmware-tools then after a while I get information about segfault in vmtoolsd

Quote:

segfault at 7ffdfbad8000 ip 00007f6eb49a4286 sp 00007ffd10878708 error 4 in libc-2.26.so[7f6eb4906000+1bb000]

The vmtoolsd disappears. Still, during the time when it is present copy/paste does not work neither.

Any ideas?

Last edited by v_andal on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get support for Dual monitors working. For that I had to add USE flag "-dnet". After that vmtoolsd stopped crashing and I got dual monitors. Well, I've also had to add support for vmmouse driver in kernel and add it to INPUT_DEVICES in make.conf. Without it, the mouse pointer on second monitor was not shown.

The copy/paste still does not work. Oh well, I can live without it :)
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copy/paste problem is also solved. One needs to add USE-flag "gtkmm" and then make sure that /usr/bin/vmware-user-suid-wrapper is executed on X-session startup. Normally this is done via /etc/xdg/autostart/vmware-user.desktop but not all Window Managers support it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: