Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
user: asturm Topic: why does qtwidgets depend on gtk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 6804

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: user: asturm Topic: why does qtwidgets depend on gtk? Reply with quote

ADMIN EDIT: Split from Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc. for clarity of managing posts in that thread, and continuity fo this one. --pjp

User: asturm
Topic: why does qtwidgets depend on gtk?
Post: post 8238654
Reason: I am not a moderator; I can choose to whom I am being nice. Ask a moderator if you think I have not fulfilled my task to enlighten Tony0945 about his question

Sadly, that's not the question to ask, because that wasn't my point.
Obviously he doesn't understand what i was trying to explains him ; do you think asturm has reply in a way that comply with:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct#Behaviour_and_consequences
Acceptable:
Be courteous. Though respect is earned, it must start somewhere. Respect someones right for their own opinion and acknowledge that they do deserve a measure of politeness in your response.

Or more with :
Unaccetable:
Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity rather than to tactfully share information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Or more with :
Unaccetable:
Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity rather than to tactfully share information.

If that were enforced I wouldn't see half the posts of Tony0945 in threads I participate.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 6804

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
If that were enforced I wouldn't see half the posts of Tony0945 in threads I participate.

You're using again the same arguements, i have already tried to told you what is wrong with that:
* If he was doing that, i might certainly not report him, maybe just the worst of the worst.
But if a mod or a dev was, i would.
-> we expect more from them.

* If he have been bad with you, this doesn't grant you any extra credit to do the same, sorry.

maybe you could look at possibility you were wrong, admit an error and pass on while trying to not do it again and we're good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 5135

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: asturm
Reason: I think it's long past time this user was held to the same standards ciaranm was on the forums. I have *never* seen a single post from him that wasn't inciting or baiting an argument, even the technical ones are laced with poison.

This toxic river needs cleaning up at the source, or downstream will become a lifeless desert.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Acceptable:
Be courteous. Though respect is earned, it must start somewhere. Respect someones right for their own opinion and acknowledge that they do deserve a measure of politeness in your response.

'A measure of'.

krinn wrote:
asturm wrote:
If that were enforced I wouldn't see half the posts of Tony0945 in threads I participate.

You're using again the same arguements, i have already tried to told you what is wrong with that:

You are wrong about how I am using that argument - I feel perfectly comfortable with the way I responded to him, without the need for justification.

krinn wrote:
maybe you could look at possibility you were wrong, admit an error and pass on while trying to not do it again and we're good.

Maybe you would consider Tony0945 does not need a shining white knight in his defence and we're good.

Ant P. wrote:
User: asturm

Oh, is that coming from your shining example of how to start a discussion - NOT? Why not make the usual post reference?

Ant P. wrote:
Reason: ... I have *never* seen a single post from him that wasn't inciting or baiting an argument ...

I'm shocked! :lol:
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 2970
Location: Dallas area

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
User: asturm
Reason: I think it's long past time this user was held to the same standards ciaranm was on the forums. I have *never* seen a single post from him that wasn't inciting or baiting an argument, even the technical ones are laced with poison.

This toxic river needs cleaning up at the source, or downstream will become a lifeless desert.


My 2 cents worth.

This seems to be an increasing problem, devs coming in with a "seeming" chip on the shoulder, Samuel (sp?) and tom to name a couple.
There are those devs and past devs who answer questions without seeming to have an attitude about it, so it's not all devs.

If someone, ie non-dev, is getting surly out of the blue with a dev, then I would expect the dev to possibly respond in kind,
but that doesn't seem to be the case for some of them, at least that I've seen.

Not sure what the correct answer is, as the moderators here can easily get into a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Edit to add: I don't follow every thread or every interaction, so my view might be a bit naive. :)
_________________
Asus m5a99fx, FX 8320 - nouveau & radeon, oss4
Acer laptop E5-575, i3-7100u - i965, alsa
---both---
4.14.62 kernel, profile 17.0 (no-pie) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 4.9.4 & 7.3.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Edit to add: I don't follow every thread or every interaction, so my view might be a bit naive. :)

Yeah, you are excused, not being a dev, and not seeing the usual conduct by Tony0945. Make no mistake: None of his go-to one-liners are worth a report, but they certainly have an effect.

As for Ant P.' s report, that one is a bit puzzling; some people can dish it out but cannot take it. I don't hold it against them; move along, nothing to see there.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 5135

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every non-spam report in this thread in the past month has you as the root cause. When it's not a direct mention it's part of a conversation you've increased the temperature in with your childish and nasty attitude.

Something for the mods to reflect on. Personally I think you deserve a long involuntary vacation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still bitter about getting mild pushback for denigrating a fellow dev?
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 6804

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Are you still bitter about getting mild pushback for denigrating a fellow dev?

I'm still bitter myself seeing even told, you seems to not wish to change.

Can you answer, and do yourself the moderation there:
does this qualify as "Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity" or not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Can you answer, and do yourself the moderation there:
does this qualify as "Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity" or not?

It's an honest question addressing a ridiculous claim from above. Equally as ridiculous as his first report in this thread, btw - but I'm still not holding a grudge against Ant P. You shouldn't see drama everywhere - and you're not a mod, so thanks for stopping with your interventions, please.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 6804

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
and you're not a mod, so thanks for stopping with your interventions, please.

I'll do, but in case you were missing, it was to help you ; unlike you, i don't think real moderators intervention would be any good for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
unlike you, i don't think real moderators intervention would be any good for you.

And that's where we disagree. Consider this insight:

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Edit to add: I don't follow every thread or every interaction, so my view might be a bit naive. :)

_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 6804

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Consider this insight:

Again, i have "nothing" to consider, this might be an explain on your attitude, not an excuse for it.
Told you already, someone bad or whatever with you doesn't grant you any free "i could break the CoC"

Could you stop looking at what people are doing to you and just apply CoC unconditionaly. There's no exception in the CoC.

The problem with that attitude is that, retaliation is understable (we're human) if we see someone shitting on you in a thread, but you get so used to it that you think our understanding is an aggrement ; to a point you take that "right" also in a thread where none has attack you (extending futher more that right to "he has been bad with me in another thread").
But for a person who don't know any background of you and your interlocutor, you are the offender.

I have saw you in some thread going too far (i remember a "linguas changes" thread that was more than borderline), but i didn't report you there, accepting a little breach for relataliation and hostility that happen in that thread.
But when you start the fight yourself with no apparant reason ; you're going too far.
Just like i could understand your childish "white knight", even i didn't myself insult you (and we have discuss in some thread, i don't remember you or me insulting the other), i still understand how hard it is to be reported (been there too), but shall i remember you that you have ask yourself for it while i was trying to make my point?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6376
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Told you already, someone bad or whatever with you doesn't grant you any free "i could break the CoC"

CoC is not enforced in Gentoo Chat for a long time, but I certainly haven't broken it unless you consider 'spreading niceties evenly' to be part of it.

krinn wrote:
to a point you take that "right" also in a thread where none has attack you (extending futher more that right to "he has been bad with me in another thread").
But for a person who don't know any background of you and your interlocutor, you are the offender.

Let us for one second assume that we are humans, not robots. We will always try our best, but to expect that all interactions are equal and unburdened is not very realistic. Your perception about it is still wrong though - there was certainly no attack. If anything, the tone of the OP was aptly responded to - he'd even mentioned marriage, of all things!

krinn wrote:
I have saw you in some thread going too far (i remember a "linguas changes" thread that was more than borderline), but i didn't report you there, accepting a little breach for relataliation and hostility that happen in that thread.

Not much I can do here without citation.

krinn wrote:
Just like i could understand your childish "white knight", even i didn't myself insult you (and we have discuss in some thread, i don't remember you or me insulting the other)

I don't know, is this language barrier? It just seemed to be an accurate depiction of your insistance on the matter. If you perceived this as an insult, then I'm really sorry.

krinn wrote:
I still understand how hard it is to be reported (been there too), but shall i remember you that you have ask yourself for it while i was trying to make my point?

Yes, and I continue to be completely fine with it. Needless to say it has been met with ENOCARE so far. Similar to steveL's attack I reported, btw. This should be really run by Tony0945 to give him a counter point over his notion that 'devs are supported over users', but I doubt it is going to change his conduct anyway.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum